• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who gets to call themselves a ‘combat veteran’? - Task and Purpose

From what I've heard, SAR and NORAD bars for the SSM have been proposed, but rejected, in the past. Although these days it wouldn't surprise me if they became a reality (...as times are a changin). Also, some sort of DOMOPs recognition is probably going to happen eventually.

As for the 'remote effects' stuff, we've already started using the SSM-EXPEDITION for a few scenarios:
Huh. Good to know.

From what I've heard, SAR and NORAD bars for the SSM have been proposed, but rejected, in the past. Although these days it wouldn't surprise me if they became a reality (...as times are a changin). Also, some sort of DOMOPs recognition is probably going to happen eventually.
I think that like BOOT/BEARD/WEED/HAIRFORGEN, this would drive some traditionalist absolutely bonkers, make gong collectors absolutely giddy, and the vast majority say "meh" and move along.

"Veteran" plate after passing basic enters the chat. Then again, it's a gov policy.
In my province, it's the Legion that screens your entitlement for a Veteran's plate, not the GoC.

In my province, it's the Legion that screens your entitlement for a Veteran's plate, not the GoC.
That is most Provinces IIRC. Then again, they follow the same criteria. VAC defines a veteran as someone who has successfully completed BMQ/BMOQ and has released honourably after a minimum of 3 years service.

Then again, have the Legion decide who is allowed to have a veteran plate is like having Hellen Keller judge an art competition.

That is most Provinces IIRC. Then again, they follow the same criteria. VAC defines a veteran as someone who has successfully completed BMQ/BMOQ and has released honourably after a minimum of 3 years service.

Then again, have the Legion decide who is allowed to have a veteran plate is like having Hellen Keller judge an art competition.
Apparently, I can get one in my province. I won’t because I don’t consider myself a veteran.

I really don't get all the self loathing here. Just by signing on the line you've done something 90% of your fellow Canadians are too gutless to do. Then you went and ate a steady diet of belt fed cock for X number of weeks in basic. Then you went and did it again for your trades training, combat arms more so than others. then you went off to some far flung shitholes around the world and did it again, to varying degrees, for ingrates, both foreign and domestic. Am I a combat veteran? Fuck no. Did I look the elephant in the eye? Again, no, but I sure went to some lousy places to clean up his shit. I'm a veteran, and not afraid to say that that deserves some recognition. I went and did it. most of you went and did way more of it than I did. Most people didn't and wouldn't. We are different, nothing wrong with celebrating it, there are no Superbowl rings in our future...

RANT OFF

They can have one when they can provide a CDS who doesn't step on his own dick or sticks around for more than year.

Good point. It's been a couple of years, hasn't it? ;)

Brian Cox Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

SAR medal was supported by the department and rejected outside the department (again). We’re getting a pin in ~2 years (that means 5 years). There’s 4 different levels from ~10 or so to ~89 ish missions off the top of my head.

SAR medal was supported by the department and rejected outside the department (again). We’re getting a pin in ~2 years (that means 5 years). There’s 4 different levels from ~10 or so to ~89 ish missions off the top of my head.
... so another "incremental pin" that will be cheaply made and afford no real sense of accomplishment to those who are expected to wear it.

Amazing...

What department can reject those? DHH?

I really don't get all the self loathing here. Just by signing on the line you've done something 90% of your fellow Canadians are too gutless to do. Then you went and ate a steady diet of belt fed cock for X number of weeks in basic. Then you went and did it again for your trades training, combat arms more so than others. then you went off to some far flung shitholes around the world and did it again, to varying degrees, for ingrates, both foreign and domestic. Am I a combat veteran? Fuck no. Did I look the elephant in the eye? Again, no, but I sure went to some lousy places to clean up his shit. I'm a veteran, and not afraid to say that that deserves some recognition. I went and did it. most of you went and did way more of it than I did. Most people didn't and wouldn't. We are different, nothing wrong with celebrating it, there are no Superbowl rings in our future...

RANT OFF
It's because Military members are conditioned and trained to have abnormally high levels of conformity, obedience, humility, discipline, respect, etc.

Our "self-loathing" is actually a form of control that has been psychologically conditioned into us.

I'm really only discovering this now that I'm out and have transitioned to civilian life. I would say compared to some of my colleagues, I'm very polite and more disciplined in a lot of ways but this approach doesn't always pay off in a non-military context.

Just because someone is covered in gold and wears fancy cuffs doesn't mean they know their ass from their elbow and it's completely ok to call them on it. In the CAF this would have immediate and severe consequences but outside the Military hierarchy, the consequences are way less severe.

I've mentioned it here many times before,....you always see we need a (Insert bloated rank here) instead of we need someone who is capable.

Because of HB's "conditioning", we just assume rank and capability go hand in hand.

I've mentioned it here many times before,....you always see we need a (Insert bloated rank here) instead of we need someone who is capable.

Because of HB's "conditioning", we just assume rank and capability go hand in hand.
The issue I can see is even if we don’t go based on rank (which I totally agree with), we work with other organizations and especially international ones that do.

The Sgt might be the most capable person in XYZ but if country Q doesn’t even listen to them because they’re not a Col, then it doesn’t work. So we’d need a Col to lend weight to the Sgt, prob by saying “my SME, Sgt Bloggins suggests…and I agree.”

When I first joined back in the 80’s the only folks we considered veterans who where still around in any number where those who’d deployed to Korea (and some WW2).

I felt the same way when I joined in 1970. Riding the bus to Denison Armoury.

Guys in their forties, "I was in The Big One. Yer World War Two." :)

It's because Military members are conditioned and trained to have abnormally high levels of conformity, obedience, humility, discipline, respect, etc.

Our "self-loathing" is actually a form of control that has been psychologically conditioned into us.

I'm really only discovering this now that I'm out and have transitioned to civilian life. I would say compared to some of my colleagues, I'm very polite and more disciplined in a lot of ways but this approach doesn't always pay off in a non-military context.

Just because someone is covered in gold and wears fancy cuffs doesn't mean they know their ass from their elbow and it's completely ok to call them on it. In the CAF this would have immediate and severe consequences but outside the Military hierarchy, the consequences are way less severe.
I completely get this. When I retired and went for my first job interview, they asked me my pay expectation. It was a question I’d never considered, and had absolutely no clue what my time was worth. I completely lowballed myself, and the HR guy was kind enough to tell me I was being ridiculous. However, the military “aww shucks, t’weren’t nothin’ “ thing is bullshit. It were somethin’. You went toward the smoke and the thunder and the blood, something no regular person would do. Wear it, you earned it, and it should be respected.

I completely get this. When I retired and went for my first job interview, they asked me my pay expectation. It was a question I’d never considered, and had absolutely no clue what my time was worth. I completely lowballed myself, and the HR guy was kind enough to tell me I was being ridiculous. However, the military “aww shucks, t’weren’t nothin’ “ thing is bullshit. It were somethin’. You went toward the smoke and the thunder and the blood, something no regular person would do. Wear it, you earned it, and it should be respected.
PS. Outside of these forums I’m also a very polite, go along to get along kind of guy, until it becomes necessary to not be, and that is a direct carryover from my mil time

I get a few people referring ex-military folks to me for advice as they enter the world of civilian work.

I've given up on them, pretty much. Their sense of self-worth tends to hover around 'dirt', and I can't convince them otherwise. It's sad, really. Long service public servants are the same.

There was this ex-chopper pilot, with about 10,000 hours, who was struggling for a role post-CAF and was going to join the Cadet program.

I said something like 'I'm pretty sure that MD could use a drone pilot or two'. Alot of my clients use UAVs in the natural resources sector etc. too.

He completely discounted that option and went on and on about how there was no way he could work for a big corporation, and that they wouldn't value his skills etc. I wanted to fucking strangle him.

Eventually his buddy harassed him until he applied and now he's a drone jockey, apparently.

Angry Hate GIF

Back