• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yukon Fur Hat

Danjanou said:
Naah NDHQ is still working on arid versus green cadpat. Rumour has it a newly arrived WO will be assigned as assistant project manager.

With particular responsibilities for the matching ear defenders.  :dunno:

RangerRay said:
Although I can see someone saying "Earflaps stay up unless it is -17C or colder"  ::)

Which will also be interpreted by some that "Earflaps must be down when it is -17C or colder"

Beware the WO with a thermometer built into his pace stick.

CDN Aviator said:
Is it going to sprout Multicam ?

Quote from: Danjanou on Today at 10:06:08

Rumour has it a newly arrived WO will be assigned as assitant project manager.

:dunno: You do realize that the maintaining of these standards could develop into an entire career......and you get to set the standards!! ....sorta

Logistik Unicorp site states:
DSSPM2 is introducing the Fur Hat, Yukon Style, Unisex, NSN 8405-20-006-0892 (A/A) to be worn with numbers 1, 2 and 3 orders of dress.

Unless they change the orders of dress, I won't be keeping my head warmer this winter, I'll still be using the lovely holey toque.  :'(

Michael O'Leary said:
Which will also be interpreted by some that "Earflaps must be down when it is -17C or colder"

Beware the WO with a thermometer built into his pace stick.
How quaint.  No.  Instead each day, a member of the Duty Watch will be marched out to stick his/her tongue on the flagpole. If it sticks:  earflaps down.  If not:  earflaps up.  Seems simple enough...

Pusser said:
How quaint.  No.  Instead each day, a member of the Duty Watch will be marched out to stick his/her tongue on the flagpole. If it sticks:  earflaps down.  If not:  earflaps up.  Seems simple enough...

pick the pvte that babbles the most....2 for 1

Pusser said:
...a member of the Duty Watch will be marched out to stick his/her tongue on the flagpole. If it sticks:  earflaps down.  If not:  earflaps up.  Seems simple enough...

Define "sticks"......
The amount of force necessary to pull the tongue off of the pole has to be measured, and some sort of baseline created to determine if the tongue was really "stuck" or not.

Obviously, being in a modern Army, this will require an unnecessarily complicated high-tech solution. Once all hats have been issued, a recall through unit QMs will be arranged for modifications. Each hat will have a strip of a to-be-developed bi-metal memory alloy installed that will automatically lower the earflaps at -17C. This will remove that pesky chain of command influence on deciding when flaps can or should be lowered, and at the same time ensure uniformity across the CF. Hats will have to be turned in by 10 November, and will be returned on 1 April.

Michael O'Leary said:
Obviously, being in a modern Army, this will require an unnecessarily complicated high-tech solution. Once all hats have been issued, a recall through unit QMs will be arranged for modifications. Each hat will have a strip of a to-be-developed bi-metal memory alloy installed that will automatically lower the earflaps at -17C. This will remove that pesky chain of command influence on deciding when flaps can or should be lowered, and at the same time ensure uniformity across the CF. Hats will have to be turned in by 10 November, and will be returned on 1 April.

But what about the leap years?

We need a pan-CF working group to assess this and determine options for analysis and selection.

dapaterson said:
But what about the leap years?

We need a pan-CF working group to assess this and determine options for analysis and selection.

Made up of annuitants on class B?
:trainwreck:

And contractors.  Musn't forget the contractors.

Preferably from CGI's new Defence division.

Wait until PETA hears about the experiments to breed light blue muskrats for correctly coloured Air Force hats without the use of environmentally hazardous dyes. The costs will make the F-35 program seem cheap in comparison.    >:D

airmich said:
Logistik Unicorp site states:
Unless they change the orders of dress, I won't be keeping my head warmer this winter, I'll still be using the lovely holey toque.  :'(

Bummer.  This would have come in handy during my little excursion to Yellowknife in Feb.  Eh, I'll pack it anyway.  Who knows. Things may change.  ;D

Will it have some form of detachable or roll-up combat mullet like the helmet or wide brim field cap?

Hammer Sandwich said:
Define "sticks"......
The amount of force necessary to pull the tongue off of the pole has to be measured, and some sort of baseline created to determine if the tongue was really "stuck" or not.

I'm sure we will have to strike a working group to study it, with input from all stakeholders.  There will have to be trials of course and a budget...

Michael O'Leary said:

Now you're just being silly.  We'll need to recall the hats for way longer than five months.  We'll also have to prioritize returns to ensure that the folks in Victoria get theirs back first.

Newt said:
Will it have some form of detachable or roll-up combat mullet like the helmet or wide brim field cap?

This will of course require yet another study and sub working group at NDHQ to determine if it will or not. Should we go with yes I'll create another thread here on proper proceedure for when and how high the mullet, combat individual should be rolled up.  :brickwall:

I guess I must be totally daft.

After wearing the damn things for more than fifty years, in both military and civilian versions, in urban, field ,mountain and all Canadian oceans environments, including the Arctic in winter, I completely failed to notice that toques failed to "meet the requirements of the Canadian climate".

Silly  me.

By the way, PETA should investigate those toques also: Th shearing of those poor sheep to provide the wool is just so unethical.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/Smileys/Armyca/sarcasm.gif

Back