• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Let me throw in my  :2c: worth on all initiatives to "replace" tanks and "heavy infantry".

Fact 1. The potential enemy (whether Russia or China or Iran or the Fantasians) have tanks and will have for the foreseeable future;

Fact 2. There are very capable anti-armour systems in existence and even more under development (even though Canada seems to mostly ignore them)

Fact 3. Anti-armour weapons while good defensively, have only limited capabilities in the offence.

Accordingly any army that gives up it's tanks without viable replacements that can take the fight in the offence, is immediately relegating itself to a defensive war (including abandoning the ability to conduct the local counter attack)

Aviation has many uses. Gaining and holding ground isn't one of those.

Generally speaking, tanks have gotten very expensive but not so much because the basic steel in them is more expensive or that the automotives are substantially more complex; it's because the electronics, weapon systems and defensive components (Chobham, reactive armour, Trophy etc) are very expensive due to R&D costs and low volume sales.

Note that on an annual personnel cost side, tanks can be fairly cheap. The US armored company has only 62 all ranks led by a captain for fourteen tanks while the mech inf coy has 135 all ranks led by a captain for fourteen Bradleys. It's the Combined arms battalion's forward support company with 179 all ranks (again led by a captain) and 60 vehicles and the headquarters company at 239 all ranks and another 55 vehicles that bulk up the organization.

A Russian tank battalion (31 tanks) has 151 all ranks (at a crew of three per tank that leaves just 56 people to provide command, control and logistics). A motorized rifle battalion with 37 BMPs has 461 personnel (with 27 rifle sections of 8 each [or 216], that leaves 245 providing all command, control, support weapons and logistics)

I'm not throwing this out there to say we should organize like the Russians. What I'm suggesting is that perhaps we aren't pursuing the right mix of equipment and personnel. If the C&C and logistics component of an US Combined Arms battalion is almost as big as a whole motorized rifle battalion and bigger than a tank battalion then maybe we're doing something wrong. That recurring annual paycheck for a western style battalion is at least twice that of the Russian counterpart (probably more considering Russian pay scales). The question we need to really ask is: how much do their combat effectiveness differ? And if they do, is the difference an acceptable one? Can we accept potential losses in equipment and people resulting from using the last generation of tanks rather than moving on to the next (Let's face it even the Russians aren't turning out the Armada T-14 series on an industrial scale)

Long story short (too late?) we need armour and heavy infantry, but do we need the heavy HQ and logistics establishment within the companies and battalions that we presently have? or can we lighten that up considerably thus saving significant annual costs? That doesn't even address the issue that heavy forces, because of they are only needed in times of extreme emergencies, could be better provided by part-time salaried reservists.

I'm all for new innovations such as autonomous vehicles, precision guided munitions and cyber warfare BUT until those are proven and deployed or unless our putative opponents divest themselves of heavy armour, we need to stay with the tried and proven systems that we already have.

:cheers:

Form hollow square! Get those shakos squared away on your heads you slovenly lot. Prepare to repel tanks!!

FJAG said:
Let me throw in my  :2c: worth on all initiatives to "replace" tanks and "heavy infantry".

Fact 1. The potential enemy (whether Russia or China or Iran or the Fantasians) have tanks and will have for the foreseeable future;

Fact 2. There are very capable anti-armour systems in existence and even more under development (even though Canada seems to mostly ignore them)

Fact 3. Anti-armour weapons while good defensively, have only limited capabilities in the offence.

Accordingly any army that gives up it's tanks without viable replacements that can take the fight in the offence, is immediately relegating itself to a defensive war (including abandoning the ability to conduct the local counter attack)

Aviation has many uses. Gaining and holding ground isn't one of those.

Generally speaking, tanks have gotten very expensive but not so much because the basic steel in them is more expensive or that the automotives are substantially more complex; it's because the electronics, weapon systems and defensive components (Chobham, reactive armour, Trophy etc) are very expensive due to R&D costs and low volume sales.

Note that on an annual personnel cost side, tanks can be fairly cheap. The US armored company has only 62 all ranks led by a captain for fourteen tanks while the mech inf coy has 135 all ranks led by a captain for fourteen Bradleys. It's the Combined arms battalion's forward support company with 179 all ranks (again led by a captain) and 60 vehicles and the headquarters company at 239 all ranks and another 55 vehicles that bulk up the organization.

A Russian tank battalion (31 tanks) has 151 all ranks (at a crew of three per tank that leaves just 56 people to provide command, control and logistics). A motorized rifle battalion with 37 BMPs has 461 personnel (with 27 rifle sections of 8 each [or 216], that leaves 245 providing all command, control, support weapons and logistics)

I'm not throwing this out there to say we should organize like the Russians. What I'm suggesting is that perhaps we aren't pursuing the right mix of equipment and personnel. If the C&C and logistics component of an US Combined Arms battalion is almost as big as a whole motorized rifle battalion and bigger than a tank battalion then maybe we're doing something wrong. That recurring annual paycheck for a western style battalion is at least twice that of the Russian counterpart (probably more considering Russian pay scales). The question we need to really ask is: how much do their combat effectiveness differ? And if they do, is the difference an acceptable one? Can we accept potential losses in equipment and people resulting from using the last generation of tanks rather than moving on to the next (Let's face it even the Russians aren't turning out the Armada T-14 series on an industrial scale)

Long story short (too late?) we need armour and heavy infantry, but do we need the heavy HQ and logistics establishment within the companies and battalions that we presently have? or can we lighten that up considerably thus saving significant annual costs? That doesn't even address the issue that heavy forces, because of they are only needed in times of extreme emergencies, could be better provided by part-time salaried reservists.

I'm all for new innovations such as autonomous vehicles, precision guided munitions and cyber warfare BUT until those are proven and deployed or unless our putative opponents divest themselves of heavy armour, we need to stay with the tried and proven systems that we already have.

As ever, as long as there's enough of the right artillery, we can run around in puttees and shorts with bolt guns and still win wherever we fight IMHO :)

Military police arrest RAF Voyager captain for 'drink-flying' just moments before his jet was due to take off
- Military police stopped tanker as it taxiied down runway at RAF Akitiri in Cyprus
- Pilot and a crew member were arrested after allegedly failing breathalyser test
- Insider said it came after bosses became aware of a 'riotous' party night before

By MARK NICOL DEFENCE EDITOR FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
PUBLISHED: 19:51 EDT, 29 August 2020

The captain of an RAF Voyager was arrested on suspicion of drink-flying moments before his jet was due to take off.

Military police stopped the refuelling tanker as it was taxiing down the runway at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus.

The pilot and one crew member were arrested after allegedly failing a breathalyser test and taken to a military detention centre.

An insider said it came after station commanders became aware of a ‘riotous’ party at the base the night before in which fire extinguishers were set off as a prank.

The source said: ‘An officer who got rudely woken up by the party decided to get his revenge on the Voyager crew by tipping off top brass at the air base.

‘The Voyager got as far as the runway “hold short” location before military police ordered it to stop.

They had really infuriated people the night before with their behaviour so somebody was always going to get their own back.

‘When people found out the drunken crew were due to fly the next day they had to brief the chain of command because at that stage there was a serious safety issue.’

Voyagers – known as the petrol stations of the skies – support sorties by RAF Lightning and Typhoon strike aircraft used for precision bombing of Islamic State strongholds in Iraq.

The RAF confirmed last week’s incident but declined to answer questions about the nature of the Voyager’s mission.

A spokesman said last night: ‘We are aware of an incident at RAF Akrotiri and it would be inappropriate to comment while an investigation is ongoing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8677865/Military-police-arrest-RAF-Voyager-captain-drink-flying-moments-jet-off.html

UK's Integrated Review of Security, Defence, Development and Foreign Policy-- intro to a major piece by Julian French-Lindley, very pessimistic about state of the world and prospects for the British military (and the CAF?):

Integrated Review 2020 and the United Kingdom Future Force

Today's Analysis is necessarily a long one as it serves as my submission to the UK Integrated Review of Security, Defence, Development and Foreign Policy (IR 2020). It has been seen and commented upon by very senior people from across the Euro-Atlantic Community and is designed to challenge prevailing assumptions in London, not only about defence policy and the Review, but Britain's place in a fast-changing world. It does not pull its punches. JLF 

FOOD FOR THOUGHT PAPER
http://lindleyfrench.blogspot.com/2020/09/integrated-review-2020-and-united.html

Mark
Ottawa

Needless to say, this article has a few people in the Paras a teeny, tiny bit worked up :)

'THINGS GOT BAD' I was tortured with a sledgehammer by Para bullies, reveals SAS hardman Ant

But today he reveals that the bullying he suffered as a young Army recruit was so bad he quit his regiment.
Ant reveals that the bullying he suffered as a young Army recruit was so bad he quit his regiment

In an exclusive extract from his new book Zero Negativity: The Power Of Positive Thinking, Ant describes some of that abuse. But he believes anything can be turned into a positive experience – if you know how.

SOME nights my dreams are full of debris — those broken parts of my past that I realise will probably stay with me until the day I die.

I’m not tortured by them, yet they come back again and again — recollections from the most gruelling moments of selection, scenes from combat.

Most persistent of all are memories of what happened to me from the age of 15 to 21. They were my lonely years, the time when I was most by myself. I’d left home at 15 and joined the military when I was 16.

Although I got married at a very early age, I still felt isolated. I was very well spoken back then and you could tell I was an outsider.

People thought I was strange, as if there was something unsettling about my niceness. It made things hard to start with. All you want to do when you’re that age is fit in, be accepted.

You’re so easily influenced when you are young, especially when you are entering an environment with a really strong identity, like the Paras. Their idea of a good night was to head into town to savage a few pubs before coming back to the squadron bar to start drinking p*** from pint glasses.

Going into town, beating each other up and drinking until they were sick was the only way they could get the aggression and anger out of their systems.

I got why they behaved like that, but it just wasn’t me. Still, for a while I tried to fit in. I matched them drink for drink. After a while I stopped trying to fit in. My attitude became: “F*** the lot of you.”

I stopped going out on the lash with the lads. What was increasingly clear to everyone was that I didn’t want to be around the other Paras, and they — quite understandably — didn’t want to be around me.

Things got bad. What I didn’t realise at the time was that they were about to get worse. In Signal troop, bullying was the mechanism the other Paras used to ensure conformity. There was a real pack mentality.

For a long time it was something I’d see happen to other people. Then, once I’d begun to alienate myself from the regiment, their attention turned to me.

They’d all come back from a night on the p*** and they’d surround my bed in the accommodation block. Sometimes they tipped me out of it. Then they’d push my locker over, trash everything inside it.

Their behaviour only made me more determined to rebel against the sort of person they wanted me to become. The instigator in my troop was the troop sergeant, a little 5ft 6in f***ing rat called Squashie. Because of his place in the hierarchy, all the other soldiers would follow his lead.

There was one morning when I walked into the stores room and found Squashie standing there, his little rat-like face full of malice, surrounded by a handful of his acolytes. “Ah, Middleton, we’ve been waiting for you.”

They’d attached a sledgehammer to a bungee rope. I was 9st wet, a 17-year-old streak of p*ss, so I’d have to endure whatever their vindictive minds had prepared for me. “Middleton. Stand there. We’re going to swing this at you” — he pointed at the apparatus they’d built — “and you’ve got to dodge it,” he finished, leering.

The hardman made a name for himself on SAS: Who Dares WinsCredit: Minnow Films/Production Company. Channel 4 images must not be altered or manipulated in an

So they pinged it at me. I ducked and dodged. It was pathetic, as they’d gone to so much effort to set this thing up to torment me. Five, six minutes went by.

But there was only a certain number of times I’d be able to evade it and they’d be bound to get lucky sooner rather than later. I really wasn’t up for a smack in the face.

The situation was getting out of hand, but it stopped when the door opened and a sergeant from another troop walked in. Everyone froze. For a moment that sergeant was so stunned by the scene he’d stumbled across that he could only stand there.

Then his bewilderment gave way to anger. “What the f*** are you all playing at? Get to work. You f***ing degenerates.” As he said it, he shot me a look, as if to say: “You’re better than this.”

The SBS man says the world is 'full' of negative people

The SBS man says the world is 'full' of negative peopleCredit: Minnow Films/Production Company. Channel 4 images must not be altered or manipulated in an

For me, it was an incredibly clarifying experience. That sergeant’s reaction made me realise I wasn’t the only one thinking: “This doesn’t seem right.”

I began to think I needed to change troop, or perhaps do something even more dramatic. Was it time to end my spell in the regiment?

I was 21 when I quit the Paras, and my head was still all over the place.

But it was overwhelmingly obvious I was in a violently negative environment that was making me react in a violently negative way.

The TV star believes the most important thing is 'surrounding yourself with the right people'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/12599415/sas-ant-middleton-bullied-para-sledgehammer/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebarweb

You're not saying "teeny, tiny" because Ant Middleton is pretty short are you? :tsktsk:

8)

MM

Interesting, head of defence intelligence going public, note work on COVID-19--official news release:

Chief of Defence Intelligence comments on threats the UK will face in coming decades
Lieutenant-General Jim Hockenhull looks to the future, outlining the changing character of the threat and the role of UK Defence

The UK’s adversaries are developing new ways of operating, backed up by cutting edge military capabilities that leverage advanced technologies, the Chief of Defence Intelligence today warns.

In the first ever media briefing at Defence Intelligence’s Cambridgeshire base, Lt Gen Hockenhull has said that the shifting global picture has changed the character of warfare in ways that will challenge the West to keep pace with adversaries who do not play by the rules.

Global players such as Russia and China continually challenge the existing order without prompting direct conflict, operating in the expanding grey-zone between war and peacetime.

Conflict is bleeding into new domains, such as cyber and space, threatening our cohesion, our resilience and our global interests.

Chief of Defence Intelligence, Lieutenant-General Jim Hockenhull said:

Whilst conventional threats remain, we have seen our adversaries invest in Artificial Intelligence, machine learning and other ground-breaking technologies, whilst also supercharging more traditional techniques of influence and leverage.

As we have seen in Salisbury, hostile states are willing to take incredible risks. We must make sure that we have both the intent and the capability to ensure that such wanton acts of irresponsibility will not go unpunished.

Traditionally more comfortable in the shadows, Defence Intelligence [DI] have been brought to the fore by recent developments. Tasked with watching for global instability, tracking threats to the UK and monitoring human rights violations, amongst other things, analysts at DI provide advice to senior officials, shaping the Government’s approach to emerging threats and supporting UK forces deployed across the globe.

DI are already well placed to make this shift. Operating the world’s only fully integrated TOP SECRET collaboration centre, they are already working closely with 5 Eyes partners and other allied intelligence agencies.

Moreover, in their support to the Coronavirus response, they have already proved their agility and adaptability when faced with new challenges. Possessing the UK’s sole strategic medical intelligence capability, they rapidly shifted focus the Covid Assessment Team, or CAT. This moved their analysts from tasks such as assessing the UK’s overseas medical capabilities and understanding bio-hacking, to assessing the current and future threat posed by COVID-19 [emphasis added].
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chief-of-defence-intelligence-comments-on-threats-the-uk-will-face-in-coming-decades

Mark
Ottawa

You can hear the back pedalling from here ;)

British Army not scrapping all tanks in defence review, Ben Wallace insists

The UK will not scrap all its tanks in its drive to modernise the armed forces, the defence secretary has said.

Ben Wallace was responding to reports that said Britain would no longer deploy tanks because of high maintenance costs and pressure on defence spending.

The British Army has some 227 Challenger 2 main battle tanks.

Mr Wallace told the BBC: "We're going to make sure we have an armed forces fit for the 21st Century and meets our obligations to Nato and elsewhere.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-army-tanks-uk-defence-review-ben-wallace-nato-b431482.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-DIii0iOyU

Probably should have posted the link above sooner, but he echoes what a lot of us have been saying.

Wee bit of backpedalling indeed, D&B  ;)

daftandbarmy said:
You can hear the back pedalling from here ;)

British Army not scrapping all tanks in defence review, Ben Wallace insists

The UK will not scrap all its tanks in its drive to modernise the armed forces, the defence secretary has said.

Ben Wallace was responding to reports that said Britain would no longer deploy tanks because of high maintenance costs and pressure on defence spending.

The British Army has some 227 Challenger 2 main battle tanks.

Mr Wallace told the BBC: "We're going to make sure we have an armed forces fit for the 21st Century and meets our obligations to Nato and elsewhere.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-army-tanks-uk-defence-review-ben-wallace-nato-b431482.html

From what I hear only about 87 are operational?

Colin P said:
From what I hear only about 87 are operational?

Still more then us, Black hatters would have a wet dream to have that many working tanks

MilEME09 said:
Still more then us, Black hatters would have a wet dream to have that many working tanks

Doesn’t the UK have more Challenger 2s in Canada operating at BATUS than we do Leo 2s in total?

Good2Golf said:
Doesn’t the UK have more Challenger 2s in Canada operating at BATUS than we do Leo 2s in total?

No.

1,400 soldiers and over 1,000 vehicles, including 22 Challenger 2 tanks, 112 CVR(T)s and 103 Bulldog armoured fighting vehicles (AFVs), are based in BATUS, alongside an undisclosed number of Warrior infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs), AS-90 self-propelled artillery, Trojan combat engineering vehicles, Titan armoured bridge layers and Gazelle helicopters (of 29 (BATUS) Flight AAC).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_Training_Unit_Suffield

Good2Golf said:

Ohh FJAG beat me so I will just add that we are lucky if we get 22 running in our entire fleet of 112 (82 MBT, 12 ARV, 18 AEV)

MJP said:
Ohh FJAG beat me so I will just add that we are lucky if we get 22 running in our entire fleet of 112 (82 MBT, 12 ARV, 18 AEV)

Is there any particular reason for that?

Are they maintenance heavy moreso than other tanks?  Is there a shortage of spare parts?  Is that normal availability in the MBT world?

CBH99 said:
Are they maintenance heavy moreso than other tanks?  Is there a shortage of spare parts?  Is that normal availability in the MBT world?

Flippantly yes

Our problem is we have such a small fleet but it is broken into 5 variants (2A4, A4M and A6M plus ARV & AEV). Some of those are very used and abused as they came from the vehs we used in Afghanistan. There is some turret conversion and other work being done so I don't recall if we are going to end up with 2 variants but I don't think the plan is to upgrade them all to one single variant.  There is some commonality in parts but not enough especially in the turrets. Parts in general are an issue as well.

Technicians are an issue as it is a specialized crse and there is low density of both infra, techs and STTE (Specialized Tool and Test equipment) so there are multiple chokepoints to repairing the tanks even if you have the parts. There have been some movement of RCEME techs over to alleviate the increased need within the armoured world but that meant another unit lost pers (again symmetry biting us in the butt, why is a light Bn manned for the same number of Veh Techs as a mech bn or armoured regt?)

We also are currently doing some of the deep inspections (3rd and limited almost 4th line) that other countries contract out to the OEM (or other like companies). These are intensive operations that take up crucial infra for and techs for long periods of time. Tech and infra that could be doing 2nd line work.

All of the is acerbated by the fact that they are in two places but always in demand. There was talk of making symmetry across the 3 armoured Regts but hopefully that has died

Well, this is good news...

Bloody Sunday: Decision not to prosecute 15 former soldiers upheld

Families of victims describe the decision as "deeply disappointing" and say they may challenge it in the High Court.

The decision not to prosecute 15 former soldiers in connection over the Bloody Sunday shootings in Londonderry has been upheld, Northern Ireland's Public Prosecution Service (PPS) has announced.

Thirteen people were killed and 15 others injured on 30 January 1972 when troops of the 1st Battalion of the Parachute Regiment fired on demonstrators during a civil rights march in Derry.

One veteran - identified only as "Soldier F" - was charged last year with murder and attempted murder and is awaiting trial.

Northern Ireland's Public Prosecution Service said at the time that there was insufficient evidence to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction for 16 other former servicemen.

And in an announcement today, officials said a review found the "test for prosecution is not met on evidential grounds".
Advertisement

Lawyers representing the families of those killed in the massacre said they found the decision "deeply disappointing" and that they may challenge it in the High Court.

It was also revealed that while Soldier F was among those subject to the review, the existing prosecution against him would continue.

https://news.sky.com/story/bloody-sunday-decision-not-to-prosecute-15-former-soldiers-upheld-12085093?fbclid=IwAR0hIQLxu3GWOIvSLsCZx_JHjvr6CtL1KDYO-gB8tOIgl8rdZ352QUK5OKg

Back