• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Men at age of 45 joining the army

socloso

Reaction score
Dear folks,

I'm 45 now, wondering if it is too old to join the air force/navy/army?
would that be higher chance to apply for reservist instead fo full time?
I'm most interested in the air force, do you think it is hardly being able to get recruit at this age even being a reservist?

thx!

I turn 42 this year and have my medical and interview scheduled in 2 weeks.

According to CAF, it's not too old. If you meet the requirements to join and are offered a job, who's to say you're too old?

Good luck with everything.
Dear folks,

I'm most interested in the air force, do you think it is hardly being able to get recruit at this age even being a reservist?

thx!

Dear folks,

thx!
Both men AND women can join the forces at any age, as long as they can finish their initial contract before they turn 60. Contract length varies by trade. Your age is not a factor in your competitiveness, other than you will have a few more medical tests to do.

I will add a caveat. There is no rule or regulation but please pick your occupation carefully. Attempting infantry or combat engineer in your mid 40s is asking for medical issues.
Certainly NOT disagreeing with this advice but just noting that I heard mentioned on a War on the Rocks podcast that the average age of Ukrainian troops is 42 years old. Apparently there is heavy political resistance to extending the draft to under 30's due to Ukraine's demographics. They are fearful of extensive losses among this small demographic cohort causing serious issues for Ukraine in the future.

Thanks all, i was just thinking if we are at that so called "mature", if that would be harder to enter air force instead of Navy/army, as usually pilot's medical requriment is higher?

Certainly NOT disagreeing with this advice but just noting that I heard mentioned on a War on the Rocks podcast that the average age of Ukrainian troops is 42 years old. Apparently there is heavy political resistance to extending the draft to under 30's due to Ukraine's demographics. They are fearful of extensive losses among this small demographic cohort causing serious issues for Ukraine in the future.

Cannon fodder to preserve a limited demographic for the future, if there is a future. Terrible position to be in. But born of horrible necessity.

The CAF isn't the Public Service. For peace time, hiring age 40+ entry level into any armed forces is probably bad policy and should be minimized to the extent possible. The CAF needs a young and agile all-ranks who leave around age 30-40 years old. Not older recruits more susceptible to medical issues and "life" baggage.

But on the other hand perhaps getting 5-8 'less-than-ok' years out of a forty-something is better than nothing, then they are either 3A, 3B, 5D, or 5F'd out, rinse repeat.

Thanks all, i was just thinking if we are at that so called "mature", if that would be harder to enter air force instead of Navy/army, as usually pilot's medical requriment is higher?
Only one factor of their medical is higher and that is the Air factor. Yes there are certain meds that will ground you as air crew, possibly certain conditions. But pilots are typically in their late 30s by the time they are done their training. There is a reason why their contract is something like 17 years long - it takes that long to get through the training!

People join in their 40s in all branches, in all genders/sexes, in all trades. The “maturity” just makes you less tolerant of bs sometimes. And you quickly realize your life experience is worth a lot when on BMQ with 18 year olds who have never done laundry or washed a floor.

Dear folks,

thx!
36 year old me (current) would quite literally stomp, out wit, and laugh at 26 y/o me. For some, the bloom comes naturally as the soil, sun, seed and water were already waiting. For others, the bloom must be activated and can be late as a result.

Also if the current state of the youth are any indication, you cannot put a price on the value of a good, tough mind in current year. How I see it anyway.

36 year old me (current) would quite literally stomp, out wit, and laugh at 26 y/o me. For some, the bloom comes naturally as the soil, sun, seed and water were already waiting. For others, the bloom must be activated and can be late as a result.

Also if the current state of the youth are any indication, you cannot put a price on the value of a good, tough mind in current year. How I see it anyway.

Rightly so. But you're presently in your prime and it's only a decline from now on.

Would the CAF be better served with recruits on the rise or on the downslope? As a general rule, I'd suggest the rising side is more advantageous for combat troops... but you can probably get away with the downslope variety for support roles.

Rightly so. But you're presently in your prime and it's only a decline from now on.

Would the CAF be better served with recruits on the rise or on the downslope? As a general rule, I'd suggest the rising side is more advantageous for combat troops... but you can probably get away with the downslope variety for support roles.
I can agree with that. On the roe side, you are absolutely correct.

Back