• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Wait, are you calling me a Liberal?

The "30 encampments" includes things like the 2 tents at Nick Meagher Community Park. You claimed there were 30 "Tudeauvilles". I would assume to fit the definition of a "ville", it would need to more than just a 2 or 3 tents in a park, but a significant encampment. So, maybe more than the 5 designated ones, but not 30.

The number isn't 2,000,000 people, but 2,000,000 visits. It's not always the same people. If the same people visited the food banks every day all year, that would mean a total of only 5,479 people using foodbanks. Obviously, some people use it a lot, and some people maybe only have visited the foodbank once all year, but however you slice it, there are not millions of unique individual Canadians relying on foodbanks.
The CBC article didn't make this entirely clear, but it wasn't 2 million visits a year, it was 2 million visits (for roughly 3.9 million meals) in the month of March 2023.

You can read the full report here: HungerCount - Food Banks Canada

Oh noes. If you make regular, large payments it will improve your capitalist mandated credit score.

So Communist.
Likewise, if you tend to be late on paying your rent (even if just by a day or two) does that impact you negatively in other areas of your life?

If your landlord is an individual & you've discussed it beforehand, I'm sure it's fine. Maybe you get slapped with a late fee of some kind.

But if your landlord is a big corporation that owns hundreds, or thousands of rental units...is being late on your rent going to end up hurting your credit score? And will that lower credit score cost you more in other areas of life such as credit card rates, mortgage rates, job applications, etc? One would think so...

I think the idea that people can improve their credit score by paying their rent on time actually has merit & isn't a bad idea.

But it has some serious potholes it'll need to navigate around before it's practical, and it has the potential to backfire & end up hurting a lot of the people it claims it wants to help.

Oh it is and percentage wise it's frightening and I hope the government (regardless of who it is) starts taking more serious measures to address this.
The problem is...this government won't address this, because it would require them to admit that it is their policies that have caused so much of this in the first place.

I too wish they would take some serious measures to address this.

But they won't - a party that is causing the problem, and compounding the problem every chance they get, won't be the ones to find a practical solution to that same problem...

Oh look. Canada sees domestic and foreign investors pull out at a record pace. Bravo!

Oh look. Canada sees domestic and foreign investors pull out at a record pace. Bravo!

The government should ‘help’ Canadians who have enough free cash to invest, to see that they have a responsibility and duty to invest that money in Canada. Maybe the Government can wisely invest that money on those Canadians’ behalf…for a small fee, of course.

The government should ‘help’ Canadians who have enough free cash to invest, to see that they have a responsibility and duty to invest that money in Canada. Maybe the Government can wisely invest that money on those Canadians’ behalf…for a small fee, of course.
I have no notion of where the threshold is, but theoretically there's a point (different for each country's circumstances) at which potential bond buyers have no desire to buy any more, even at higher rates of return (interest) up to whatever ceiling the country thinks it can manage. When that happens, I gather it's either default or the central bank steps in to increase the money supply (inflation) and buy the issues.

Right now it might simply be the case that there's so much cash sloshing around in the world that no country has to worry. But a lot of countries are competing to sell a lot of debt. If investors have been dumping unusually large amounts of Canadian securities, that should worry the people paid to keep track of such things.

That small fee is already paid in the form of ludicrous taxes, I'd say...ludicrously high taxes that apparently don't go towards paying for a single bloody thing other than interest of a rapidly growing debt or the pay increase for those putting us into that debt!

JT or Freeland should demonstrate the ability to properly manage Monopoly money before forcing Canadians to invest domestically.

Like I said I think they've already taken your idea and implemented it, and so far I can't say I'm impressed with the outcome...

For some reason, the first thing that popped into my head was 'Bernie Madoff'

Likewise, if you tend to be late on paying your rent (even if just by a day or two) does that impact you negatively in other areas of your life?

If your landlord is an individual & you've discussed it beforehand, I'm sure it's fine. Maybe you get slapped with a late fee of some kind.

But if your landlord is a big corporation that owns hundreds, or thousands of rental units...is being late on your rent going to end up hurting your credit score? And will that lower credit score cost you more in other areas of life such as credit card rates, mortgage rates, job applications, etc? One would think so...

I think the idea that people can improve their credit score by paying their rent on time actually has merit & isn't a bad idea.

But it has some serious potholes it'll need to navigate around before it's practical, and it has the potential to backfire & end up hurting a lot of the people it claims it wants to help.
This definitely will take a lot of work and fine tuning. I very much like the idea that regular rent payments can improve one’s credit score; that will help a lot of people. Counting rent goes right to the core of what a credit score is supposed to metricize. With a lot of people working to pay regular rent and live frugally so that they can one day buy a residence, it seems both reasonable and fair to respect the regular and disciplined making of payments. If my cell phone plan counts for my credit score, why shouldn’t your rent?

But yes, the converse is true too. Those who struggle to make rent will see their credit score potentially suffer. This will negatively impact those at the bottom.

Maybe it will end up tied to certain fixed-term registered leases, or maybe credit score will be an ‘opt in’… Dunno. I’ll be paying attention to this one out of interest. There’s some good to be achieved but also potentially some harm to be averted.

This definitely will take a lot of work and fine tuning. I very much like the idea that regular rent payments can improve one’s credit score; that will help a lot of people. Counting rent goes right to the core of what a credit score is supposed to metricize. With a lot of people working to pay regular rent and live frugally so that they can one day buy a residence, it seems both reasonable and fair to respect the regular and disciplined making of payments. If my cell phone plan counts for my credit score, why shouldn’t your rent?

But yes, the converse is true too. Those who struggle to make rent will see their credit score potentially suffer. This will negatively impact those at the bottom.

Maybe it will end up tied to certain fixed-term registered leases, or maybe credit score will be an ‘opt in’… Dunno. I’ll be paying attention to this one out of interest. There’s some good to be achieved but also potentially some harm to be averted.
And to support this, your credit score is used in many cases when you apply to rent. Not to mention the requirement for references from previous landlords etc.

Another new opportunity to expand home ownership that will apply to a small percentage of Canadian, the"halal" mortgage, is being considered by the Trudeau government.

I have no notion of where the threshold is, but theoretically there's a point (different for each country's circumstances) at which potential bond buyers have no desire to buy any more, even at higher rates of return (interest) up to whatever ceiling the country thinks it can manage. When that happens, I gather it's either default or the central bank steps in to increase the money supply (inflation) and buy the issues.

I suspect Canada is very much at that threshold, Brad. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to parse Tiff Macklem’s words about the BoC not being ready to drop rates just yet. I think the BoC is certainly waiting to see what the markets say about Canada’s most recent budget and the amount of GoC Bonds that will have to be issued to cover the deficit and what their market value vs face rate. The past devaluation that heavily impacted Canadian inflation is not necessarily a thing of the past.

And this is where the promise of how the GoC’s next great idea may actually impact negatively some (many?) that the great idea is advertised to benefit.

DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200.

We lost a bundle to the Crocus Fund, a Labor Sponsored Investment Fund. It had the full support of the GoM until it failed miserably.

And NO ONE was held accountable.

BC is leading the way... Canada is likely to follow along soon

On April 8, 2024, S&P Global Ratings lowered its ratings, including its long-term issuer credit rating, on the Province of British Columbia, as well as its issue-level rating on British Columbia Hydro & Power Authority's (BC Hydro) provincially guaranteed senior unsecured debt, to 'AA-' from 'AA'.

Trudeau likely on his 'last stand' as leader of Liberal party: Political expert

Summary
Trudeau likely to step down sometime to up/during this summer due to unpopularity. Wants to avoid being the leader of the Liberal Party who will likely face a massive loss much like the Progressive Conservatives in 1993 Federal Election.

Recent budget has been panned by the former Bank of Canada Governor, David Dodge, who predicted that it will hurt the economic and discourage business investment.

Servicing of the federal debt (estimated $54 B) now outstrips the money spend on health care.

Current generation is not better off than their parents due to high inflation, high housing costs and stagnant economy.

Current gov't is out of touch with ordinary Canadians. Sudden realization that Canadians are deeply concerned about inflation, lack of housing and high cost of housing.

Over regulation burden.

Capital gains tax will increase taxation burden on the middle class, small businesses.

Centralist Liberals have been retired/removed from the ranks and the activist (left of centre) have taken control of the party thereby not letting the party to move back to the centre.

Like many Canadians I foresee a rather bleak economic future due to the overspending policies of the current LPC which the next gov't (most likely CPC) who probably will:

• try to balance the budget
  • reduce the PS and the number of cabinet ministers
  • try to encourage and induce investment in the economy to promote growth
  • temper any expectations of the public for a quick fix and most likely promote a message of short term pain for long term pain much like PM Chretien's message when he slashed gov't spending to balance the budget in the mid-1990s.

Back