• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What happened to the 2nd line of Ops? (From: Replies to

Kendrick

Inactive
Reaction score
It frustrates me at the highest point.  Being part of TF0406, we are ready to deploy, we're ready to go.  We trained as a 2nd line Task Force in case we were needed somewhere else.  Yet, it seems like we've done all this training for nothing, because even though we might be needed somewhere, we can't even go.  So what was the point of us?  Why another Task Force if we can't even do anything with it? 

I'm ready to go.  I wan't to go.  Seems like its not going to happen.  Makes one very frustrated grunt.  My two cents.

Kendrick said:
It frustrates me at the highest point.  Being part of TF0406, we are ready to deploy, we're ready to go.  We trained as a 2nd line Task Force in case we were needed somewhere else.  Yet, it seems like we've done all this training for nothing, because even though we might be needed somewhere, we can't even go.  So what was the point of us?  Why another Task Force if we can't even do anything with it? 

I'm ready to go.  I wan't to go.  Seems like its not going to happen.  Makes one very frustrated grunt.  My two cents.

I think the second line task forces are there in case the "first team" needs to be bailed out, or to handle DOMOPS situations. As has been pointed out, there is no practical means to get you and your TF to Dafur, not support them in theater (and that is assuming the Sudanese government will allow them to deploy, or are you thinking of a forced entry?)

Relax, reflect on what you learned and prepare to pass it on to the next generation of recruits who will be joining your unit (real soon now....)

I agree with those points.  I just want to get deployed, like any young chap in such a situation.  But indeed the Darfur situation is probably not a good idea.  But yes, off to the chief's course and on to the new kids.

The second line TF was intended to be deployable to a second international operation on order of the federal government.  Rather than another international operation, the government's priorety is re-building the Armed Forces for the future. 

Units & sub-units that would have formed the 2nd line TFs over the next few years can now expect to be the trainers of the wave of new recruits.

Well...1st in Aug 07 the TF 03-07 will be deployed to afghanistan, there's gonna be at least 2500 people or more to go there. So if we commit let say to sudan with the TF 04-06 (wich i'm on and I want to go too) do 1000 deployed personel so we come back in feb 07 those people can go anywhere for 18 months...then in feb 08 there would be 2500 person going back to afganistan and u can't take anyone from both of the TF's so in 18 months there would be 6000 soldier deployed. and in 09 there would be a need for more solider to go...so to my point of view the army would not be albe to keep up to the demand...so I don't think we're gonna anywhere unless there's a major event somewhere...but i'll sure be looking forward for the TF 03-07!

What frustrates me is that the whole managed readiness system is broken, yet we refuse to acknowledge it and redistribute tasks accordingly. For example, 2 CMBG HQ has had to deploy some people back to Afghanistan within 6 months of returning, while some infantry companies were shuffled from one battalion to another and experienced the same thing. Meanwhile, guys like me who volunteered to go were moved to NDHQ and told to "man the fort" while some guys, completely exhausted, were sent off on their 3rd tour in 3 years.

I see it all the time in my job at NDHQ. Tactical units are overdeployed but whenever somebody conducts an Op readiness study non-deployable HQ types like myself are included, leading to the fallacious conclusion that everything is ok. I keep pointing this stuff out but I'm just a Captain at NDHQ...lol. We need to sort out "managed readiness" and make it reflect reality.

I guess you're right!! In Valcartier we are going crazy!!! We haven't had a tour since 2004 in Bosnia and Afghanistan. Both Edmondton and Petawawa are exhausted!! We all want to go now!! But the NDHQ had other plans i guess! So we are gonna go to afghanistan in aug 07.. 3 years will have passed!! we're ready to go!

Kendrick said:
It frustrates me at the highest point. 

I share your pain.  Former member of TF 2-07, suddenly a unit without portfolio.  Suck it up and keep on living the dream.  If you don't like it, there is always the door.....  Let's just say that you wouldn't be lonely moving on out.....

Mark C said:
I share your pain.  Former member of TF 2-07, suddenly a unit without portfolio.  Suck it up and keep on living the dream.  If you don't like it, there is always the door.....  Let's just say that you wouldn't be lonely moving on out.....

Now there's a pain that can be shared by quite a few, myself included.  Maybe someone could start a club?  :dontpanic:

Back