• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will CF weapon training meet civilian ownership requirements?

Smity199

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if I want to own a gun, do I have to take the civilian gun courses or will the CF provide me with it's own courses that will be recognised in civvy land?

You will have to complete the civilian course - or at least, you'll have to challenge the test.  The CF will teach you general safe handling of service firearms.  It will not teach you what you need to know in order to pass the tests you need for a PAL though.  They have different acronyms and mnenomics, and test on things specific to civilian use of firearms (like unloading your firearm before you climb a fence, crucial stuff like that).

Smity199 said:
Just wondering if I want to own a gun, do I have to take the civilian gun courses or will the CF provide me with it's own courses that will be recognised in civvy land?

Take the test, see if you can get the course manuals (there's two courses, the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course). I paid out for the weekend classes and tests, not really worth it, but going through the manuals before taking the just the tests will help ensure you know everything from the books that might show up on the tests, like any acronyms, or the fence thing. They're easy enough to pass, just make sure you do both the normal and restricted courses, since the restricted is what lets you own ARs, subguns (or at least semi auto versions thereof), pistols, and other fun stuff. If you're just wanting like a shotgun, or boltgun, or longer barreled semi-auto you still might want a restricted down the road, and it's definately worth getting both classifications (non-restricted and restricted) on your license the first time around, otherwise you'll have to pay an extra license fee to get the restricted later.

Do you really think a government bueaucracy is going to allow you to escape paying whatever fees they want to charge you by recognizing someone elses course, no matter how relevant?

No! The army training is sadly lacking on the functioning and handling of the wheel lock and Flintlock rifles. Army training also fails to trigger lock anything in sight. Also, other than in procurement and career management, the military system displays a disturbing sense of logic, which verbotton in regards to the Firearm Act.

In fact after you passed your course and got your PAL, join either the NFA or CSSA and learn what they didn't teach you.

Back