• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Budget 2024 megathread

Depending on the community you move to, it can be tough getting decent work if you aren’t from there and locally networked.
A friend of mine discovered that the hard way when he retired to Summerside. He got back in...

Nothing about reducing the debt. On the contrary, it talks about borrowing more to afford the pie in the sky programs and projects

Outlook for Government of Canada Debt​

As a result of the government's responsible fiscal management,🤥 Canada continues to have an enviable fiscal and debt position relative to international peers.🤣 Canada is projected to have the lowest net debt-to-GDP ratio and is expected to have some of the strongest fiscal outcomes of G7 countries over the next five years🙄. Rating agencies cite Canada's effective, stable, and predictable policymaking and political institutions, economic resilience and diversity, well-regulated financial markets, and its monetary and fiscal flexibility as drivers of Canada's world-leading credit ratings: Moody's (Aaa), S&P (AAA), DBRS (AAA), and Fitch (AA+). 🤡

Freeland is much, much more difficult to listen to. Listening to the Munchkin of Mayhem is akin to cleaning your teeth with a file.
Munchkin of Mayhem 😅 love it

I always want to call her Squeaker of the House for some reason, and have to correct myself...

I actually hope she jumps ship & replaces Klaus at the WEF as his successor (as the rumour mill goes...) because it will throw off their diabolical plans for YEARS

Munchkin of Mayhem 😅 love it

I always want to call her Squeaker of the House for some reason, and have to correct myself...

I actually hope she jumps ship & replaces Klaus at the WEF as his successor (as the rumour mill goes...) because it will throw off their diabolical plans for YEARS
Apparently, the news of his demise was wrong. Perhaps Schwab and Soros can knock off together now.

This government should have foregone the income tax cut it gave to lower income earners,
You mean the “middle class tax cut” that only reduced the tax burden for above median incomes? The low income earners got nothing from that.

With the introduction of the carbon tax, the government increased its revenues by several factors.

(I am assuming this, but have nowhere near the understanding of how national finances practically work like you & some other folks here have)
Government cash flows show a different story when you compare carbon tax revenue vs carbon rebate expenditure. It was actually an overall loss last year.
Fig2_GovtCanadaFinancialFlows_graph_v1-1170x736.jpg

I absolutely love how they're going to turn NDMC into civilian housing, instead of, maybe PMQs/SQs for the thousands of troops in the NCR that need CAFHD because there's no single quarters or even PMQs left...

This is always such a horse shit approach. Usually the attrition is the people you can least afford to lose, and the peopel that get paid well to make 'placemat summaries' or 'quicklook rollup tables' or whatever other executive info graphic BS flavour of the day just keep making up colourful lies that mean nothing because the underlying assumptions are void because there is no one left to do actual work.

Successive governments make incremental process additions at all levels, which takes more people to do the same work. If they want to reduce the public service requirements, don't require simple travel requests to get L2 approval, then additional approvals and triple audits, 24 approval gates for projects, etc.

Also, if they want to create big projects, those will need someone to do them. DND shrinking public servants means we just hire people back as contractors at 1.5-2 their SWE so we can actually just get things done, but those costs get hidden as 'project costs' like parts or build vice reported as staffing cost.

It's an expensive shell game that pisses me off as a taxpayer and someone that has to try and get things done despite the handicaps built into the system to impede actual progress. When something actually gets done it seems like it's almost a fluke that happened despite the 'business processes'.

Apparently this budget means we're getting a partial amount of what we requested for naval O&M increases to do the known work, but not all of it, and is being split with some other things, so best of luck to us I guess in maintaining a fleet. Hopefully someone has the intestinal fortitude to actually decommission a ship before spending north of half a billion dollars on a DWP to get it back up to commercially accepted safety standards for a godamn fishing boat.

You mean the “middle class tax cut” that only reduced the tax burden for above median incomes? The low income earners got nothing from that.
Yes. I meant "lower than uppermost". That cut fell on both sides of the median and was squarely on the middle class. Almost a third of the federal personal income tax take comes from that bracket. Either someone cuts spending, or someone is going to have to hit that bracket and the one above it for higher taxes.

I absolutely love how they're going to turn NDMC into civilian housing, instead of, maybe PMQs/SQs for the thousands of troops in the NCR that need CAFHD because there's no single quarters or even PMQs left...
I’ll be pedantic here: There are PMQs in Ottawa. I know some folks in them.

Not enough, but “none” is incorrect.

I love how they think NDMC is empty. There's nowhere for the units there to go, and they're moving more in.
Last time I was there a couple of years ago, it seemed pretty deserted. Maybe I was in another wing?

I’ll be pedantic here: There are PMQs in Ottawa. I know some folks in them.

Not enough, but “none” is incorrect.
I lived there when they tore down 3 or 4 SQ buildings and now entire streets of homes are missing... insufficient quantity just seems like a gross understatement.

The opportunities tend to be in the least affordable places.

It's all well and good to find a "cheap" home in SK, MB, PEI, etc., but what jobs exist there that a person can afford to buy the afore mentioned "cheap" home? What specialty training and experience is required for the jobs? "Migrate" sounds a lot like "learn to code"...

That said, the couple you mentioned likely should have been smart enough to know the LPC and NDP weren't going to come riding to the rescue. If they had a solution it would have been announced well before the budget.

People should be migrating for opportunity which means fiscal, or in other words work.

Why are you containing your migration to Canada ? Its time people start looking for opportunity outside our borders.

To be honest, I’m not sure service members would want to live in there. Even if they repurposed it properly I don’t know if I trust the CAF to properly manage it and upkeep it. It would be some mutant hybrid of what it is only with members living there.

damn place is haunted lol.

I love how they think NDMC is empty. There's nowhere for the units there to go, and they're moving more in.
The optimist in me says that maybe they’ll build new infrastructure for those units.

That quickly dies when I realize that they’ll likely just add more sprung shelters, trailers and sea containers to 30th field’s camp site at Uplands and send those units there…

Last time I was there a couple of years ago, it seemed pretty deserted. Maybe I was in another wing?
I've worked in the building since Aug 2000 with CF H Svcs Gp HQ, and then 28 Fd Amb. Currently there is 33 CBG HQ, 7 Int, 28 Fd Amb, CAF TU NCR and TC Ottawa, some Sigs, the small year-round cadre of CG, MPs are moving in from Walkley Rd, and 33 CER has a Sqn in the basement. There's also IT Kiosk East, and some other smaller orgs on various floors. It's not as completely full as it was, but far from empty.

I've been on the project to find a replacement armoury for 28 Fd Amb for 14 years now - they have not managed to find anything workable for us (and the other units in the building) in all of that time.

After 24 years of watching the building slowly crumble from deliberate neglect, I'm not sure how they could turn it into housing.

Is it haunted - I don't know, but those elevators will convince you that there is evil in the world!

People should be migrating for opportunity which means fiscal, or in other words work.

Why are you containing your migration to Canada ? Its time people start looking for opportunity outside our borders.
“It’s time”? Even when I was in high school in the 90s, I was told that a fair percentage of immigrants to Canada from other areas eventually moved to the US.

The thing is there are lots of folks who would proudly say “we moved to [insert country] from Canada and we love it here”. Outside of “anonymous” Reddit threads, I don’t think many would publicly say “we moved to [insert country] from Canada, hate it, and want to (or did) move back” out of embarrassment that they were wrong.

I lived there when they tore down 3 or 4 SQ buildings and now entire streets of homes are missing... insufficient quantity just seems like a gross understatement.
Was talking to someone getting posted in this summer; the waiting list for priority 1 folks is over a hundred (ie more than the PMQs if everyone there gets posted out).

Not keeping a lot of the land after tearing down PMQs and SQs was another huge mistake, hopefully they don't start selling off the Uplands area as well. Really need to drop in more PMQs and maybe a small apartment building.

Back