• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Homeland Security orders 1.6 Billion roudns of ammo.

Nemo888

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Weird little article I saw in Forbes. Homeland Securities projected need for ammo and military grade APC's is an outrageous waste of money or very scary.

(Page has a javascript error.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/2013/03/11/1-6-billion-rounds-of-ammo-for-homeland-security-its-time-for-a-national-conversation/

1.6 Billion Rounds Of Ammo For Homeland Security? It's Time For A National Conversation

The Denver Post, on February 15th, ran an Associated Press article entitled Homeland Security aims to buy 1.6b rounds of ammo, so far to little notice.  It confirmed that the Department of Homeland Security has issued an open purchase order for 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition.  As reported elsewhere, some of this purchase order is for hollow-point rounds, forbidden by international law for use in war, along with a frightening amount specialized for snipers. Also reported elsewhere, at the height of the Iraq War the Army was expending less than 6 million rounds a month.  Therefore 1.6 billion rounds would be enough to sustain a hot war for 20+ years.  In America.

Add to this perplexing outré purchase of ammo, DHS now is showing off its acquisition of heavily armored personnel carriers, repatriated from the Iraqi and Afghani theaters of operation.  As observed by “paramilblogger” Ken Jorgustin last September:

[T]he Department of Homeland Security is apparently taking delivery (apparently through the  Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico VA, via the manufacturer – Navistar Defense LLC) of an undetermined number of the recently retrofitted 2,717 ‘Mine Resistant Protected’ MaxxPro MRAP vehicles for service on the streets of the United States.”

These MRAP’s ARE BEING SEEN ON U.S. STREETS all across America by verified observers with photos, videos, and descriptions.”

Regardless of the exact number of MRAP’s being delivered to DHS (and evidently some to POLICE via DHS, as has been observed), why would they need such over-the-top vehicles on U.S. streets to withstand IEDs, mine blasts, and 50 caliber hits to bullet-proof glass? In a war zone… yes, definitely. Let’s protect our men and women. On the streets of America… ?”

…

“They all have gun ports… Gun Ports? In the theater of war, yes. On the streets of America…?

Seriously, why would DHS need such a vehicle on our streets?”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/2013/03/11/1-6-billion-rounds-of-ammo-for-homeland-security-its-time-for-a-national-conversation/

I like how they are using a photo of M113s instead of MRAPs for the article....  LEOs have had armoured vehicles for years,  we even have them in Canada.  Reading some other articles/blogs about it people seem to think Homeland Security will be driving down streets in these and shooting anyone that looks at them.

I just am a bit sceptical if my neighbour was stocking up on huge stockpiles of ammo. I wonder If they or I am watching too many shows like walking dead, revolution and book of Eli. 
I read Richard Rohmers book Ultimatum years ago and found it interesting. There was another book like it by a Canadian along the same lines.
We are an area rich in Natural Resources? Just curious. 
Not an alarmist just love to think scenarios.
Did I mention Red Dawn. 

Welcome to the land of conspiracy theories. :facepalm:

Next thing you know, they will be saying Obama is planing to take away everyone's guns, that he stole the election, and is a secret muslim from Ken....

Never mind. :not-again:

Hey, if they think it's too much ammo I'm willing to do my part and buy some off the U.S. government to bolster my zombie apocalypse storehouse.  :threat:

You can never have enough ammo  ;D

Also you misspelled rounds in your title

This is probably nothing more than a money laundering scam; DHS buys millions of rounds at inflated prices, and the various cronys make kick backs in the form of political contributions or donations to various "causes", foundations or other "worthy" recipients. Of course there is still plenty left over for them as well....

Thucydides said:
This is probably nothing more than a money laundering scam; DHS buys millions of rounds at inflated prices, and the various cronys make kick backs in the form of political contributions or donations to various "causes", foundations or other "worthy" recipients. Of course there is still plenty left over for them as well....

See. What did I tell you about conspiracy theories? >:D

If this was the first year they made a bulk purchase of this size, it would be noteworthy.  It isn't.

You have to ask yourself, how much of this stuff gets burned off just during training and practice?  Not sure how many of the quarter million DHS employees put rounds down range - or if other agencies can draw on it for their own training - but it doesn't show any signs of being a conspiracy.

Back