• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

Latest from Angus Reid & Co. on religion & voting intentions ....
And here's the overall breakdown ....
Screenshot 2024-05-16 142909.jpg
On how this one was done ....
Screenshot 2024-05-16 143042.jpg
Also attached as PDF in case link doesn't work for you.

Attachments

• 2024.05.15_Religion_Vote.pdf
    264 KB · Views: 0

PP: Pause the carbon taxes this summer to lower gas prices by XX Cents.
Trudeau: We're keeping the tax so you change your behavior on travelling because there are forest fires.

We really need gas at $2.5-$3/L to bulldoze this country into poverty and depression, it's what the NDP/LPC want.

I'll give Trudeau one thing. He did say he was going to price Canadians out of their bad habits like driving and heating their homes. And enough people ate that shit up.

Meanwhile how much does one passenger jet pollute and how many flights are there a day in North America?

Boy howdy. That's one article that takes a one year blip in statistics and a few select interviews to turn into a fictional trend if I ever saw one.

Canadians have been emigrating to the US since before there was a Canada. Here's an article about Canadian emigration to the US which is less dramatically slanted and shows a small decline in overall Canadian population in the US (note that overall the population of both countries has been growing significantly while the base numbers of emigrants has slid a bit.

Take a look at where the hot spots are - Florida and California - the states with clement climates. Take a look at how many are retirees. I spend a lot of time down south not because I see greater "freedom" there (in fact I see a growing theocracy) but because its a lot warmer in January and February than up here. Some industries pay much better down south so attract Canadians (health care professionals who earn their degrees here for a tiny fraction of the cost that they do in the US) while many fields are attracting no Canadians (most trades and service workers who are generally poorly paid in the US).

I disagree with many of his "micro" facts. Food in the US, for example, is more expensive now than it was. The post pandemic price rise has hit them hard. During my most recent stay there I was paying roughly the same in American dollars as I would pay up north in Canadian dollars for a comparable product - but with the American dollar being worth 30% more that was a significant change. As an example, a case of 12 x Coke at a Walmart in the US today is US$7.84 while in Canada it's CA$7.48. In fact I was paying over US$9.00 back in February. The bargains are mostly gone (thankfully there is still far more variety in what's available - just try to find an El Paso Enchilada kit up here)

"... a lot of prospective buyers are motivated are motivated to leave Canada because of politics," says one real estate agent who hates Trudeau and has moved to Florida. Now there's a statistic to be trusted. Funny that the recent "surge" of emigrants comes during the middle of a Biden administration. During the Trump years it was dropping (but not an amount to be statistically significant either way.

A lazy and shallow article.

🍻

Boy howdy. That's one article that takes a one year blip in statistics and a few select interviews to turn into a fictional trend if I ever saw one.

Canadians have been emigrating to the US since before there was a Canada. Here's an article about Canadian emigration to the US which is less dramatically slanted and shows a small decline in overall Canadian population in the US (note that overall the population of both countries has been growing significantly while the base numbers of emigrants has slid a bit.

Take a look at where the hot spots are - Florida and California - the states with clement climates. Take a look at how many are retirees. I spend a lot of time down south not because I see greater "freedom" there (in fact I see a growing theocracy) but because its a lot warmer in January and February than up here. Some industries pay much better down south so attract Canadians (health care professionals who earn their degrees here for a tiny fraction of the cost that they do in the US) while many fields are attracting no Canadians (most trades and service workers who are generally poorly paid in the US).

I disagree with many of his "micro" facts. Food in the US, for example, is more expensive now than it was. The post pandemic price rise has hit them hard. During my most recent stay there I was paying roughly the same in American dollars as I would pay up north in Canadian dollars for a comparable product - but with the American dollar being worth 30% more that was a significant change. As an example, a case of 12 x Coke at a Walmart in the US today is US$7.84 while in Canada it's CA$7.48. In fact I was paying over US$9.00 back in February. The bargains are mostly gone (thankfully there is still far more variety in what's available - just try to find an El Paso Enchilada kit up here)

"... a lot of prospective buyers are motivated are motivated to leave Canada because of politics," says one real estate agent who hates Trudeau and has moved to Florida. Now there's a statistic to be trusted. Funny that the recent "surge" of emigrants comes during the middle of a Biden administration. During the Trump years it was dropping (but not an amount to be statistically significant either way.

🍻

Opinions vs opinions; the data in the article is over a 10 year period. And the total has gone from 75K to 126K.

1717172977083.png

My daughter, who's in grade 11, has told us that she plans to attend a US university for her education and play varsity soccer instead of trying to attend a CDN university and play here. My son who just finished he's first year of University at Queen's has informed us that he plans to do his graduate degree somewhere in New England.
As someone who left Canada in 93 and didn't come back until 2001, I completely understand their decisions. If my wife and I can figure how we can cover our medical insurance when we retire in 10yrs, we'll most likely be moving to the US as well. Especially if one or both of our kids stay there after schooling.

If my wife and I can figure how we can cover our medical insurance when we retire in 10yrs, we'll most likely be moving to the US as well.

My wife is a U.S. citizen. I mentioned retiring to AZ, not for the politics, but for the heat. She said no dice.

^^
Way to go Team Red and you and your Post National Bullshit has driven Canadians out of the country vice having pride in it and trying to make it an even better place..

People are always threatening to move if something political doesn't go their way; few act on it. That real estate agent is bullsh!tting.

^^
Way to go Team Red and you and your Post National Bullshit has driven Canadians out of the country vice having pride in it and trying to make it an even better place..
More likely for climate/weather (as noted above), employment (as noted above), or just because there's some particular piece of Canadian bullsh!t they don't want or need to tolerate anymore (eg. limitations on ownership and use of firearms).

Expression of religion in public spaces isn't turning the US into a "theocracy". "Red" states are essentially very free, particularly compared to such "Blue" bastions as CA and NY, and there are plenty that aren't FL or TX for those for whom those two states are particular bugbears. Frankly, FL and TX (and all of the other southeastern/southern coastal states) are just too damn humid in the summer months.

I spend a lot of time down south not because I see greater "freedom" there (in fact I see a growing theocracy) but because its a lot warmer in January and February than up here.

More likely for climate/weather (as noted above),

I love the Arizona desert in Spring. I can handle the cold ( if I must ). But, do not like the wet / humidity.

🍻
What needs to be looked at is this - of those leaving Canada for the US, where do they sit in terms of income level and taxes paid into the CDN system. More than willing to bet that these are well paying individuals who more than likely pay a higher % of total income in taxes into the CDN system. Continue to lose enough of these people year after year and the bite will be felt soon enough.

Opinions vs opinions; the data in the article is over a 10 year period. And the total has gone from 75K to 126K.

View attachment 85660
That's where superficial comes in. The nine year trend is down - from 75.7 k to 73.9 k. Then there is an unexplained one-year jump to 126.3 k. Note that the two jump's 2015 and 2022 are both during Democrat presidencies and that the 2015 jump precedes Trudeau's administration.

Note as well that the 2020 total figures of Canadians in the US is 739,897 while the article I quoted for 1980 shows the Canadian population in the US as 843,000 and steadily dropping since then.

IMHO, the long term statistical trends show a deviation that is too small to allow any single conclusion to be drawn from them. Notwithstanding the politically extreme 4-year Trump administration and the equally political extreme 6-year (as per the statistical charts) Trudeau administration, there have been no long-term change trends. All that there have been is minor trends that are unaffected by the political leanings of various administrations.

All there is is the one-year jump. And I agree that this one-year jump requires an explanation but, with no due respect whatsoever, Tasker simply doesn't provide one. He uses this statistical anomaly as a crutch for a weak regurgitation of some personal opinions of two very selected case samples. That's poor journalism.

There are many issues that could have been looked at - for example a comparison of how many Americans emigrate to Canada each year and why? Or maybe a recent change in US immigration policy or a clearing of backload. I expect the results would be much more telling. But that would have needed some research and analysis rather than a phone call to a realtor in Florida.

No need for a thread split - I'm done.

🍻

Back