• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

A

Arty

Just to train myself better for BOTP, at what speed shall I run and what distance? also at BOTP do you run everyday (like Mon thru Friday or are there breaks..

I can do 5km run at 6.5mph for 5 days in a row at treadmill, Is it good enou :rocket: gh?

Try and stay away from treadmills.. They aren‘t as good as running on actual earth/pavement.

I also found that runnin not on a tread mill is harder because of the mental bordom.. :p

You run 5km infront of your TV which your TV provides a good distraction.. Running outside I find out more difficult since you get fatuged not only by the weather but by up hill/ down hill and also from the mental bordom..

I guess I need to buy a good CD player/headphones. but I can‘t afford it now..

well the standard is
2.4 kms in 11:56 mins...

which would mean...0.2kms per minute

Running on a treadmill is easier and slower than running on pavement, because you‘re fighting wind resistance. The boredom is just in your head.

If you insist on running on a treadmill, set the incline at 2.0 to compensate, and run at a 6.7 pace per mile setting. That‘ll give you a real-road pace per mile of 8.3, which should be the recommended pace.

You can adjust your pace accordingly, comparing your pace with real-road running with this chart:

http://www.trinewbies.com/2RunTreadChart.htm

I know that if you‘re training for BUD/S, they recommend a road pace per mile of 8.0, so maybe that‘s something you should aim for.

I am training to go for BMQ. Currently I am running approx. 5-8 km every other day and also doing push up, situp and chinups. Do you guys think 5-8km is ok enough? Also does speed count or just should i just concentrate on endurance.

Please advise.

Why bother setting a limit?

Just continue to push yourself as much as you can. Anything you can get above and beyond the average or minimum, the better. Limiting yourself to the minimum, the average, or even the exceptional is foolishness.

That being said, 5 to 8 kilometers is pretty substantial. Be proud of your accomplishments and continue on.

On the other hand, don‘t push yourself so hard that you injure yourself and then have to take time off to recover.

Its sounds like your cardio and conditioning is great. Maintain it but don‘t go over-board.

If you can do 2.4 kms in 12 minutes, or better in 10 minutes or less, your pace for that distance is great. For 6 kms, you pace will be slower. You may want to train for the 10 km races and that info is on the net.

The danger is pushing yourself too hard. Running is a great exercise but avoid risking foot or muscle injuries then have to carry it into BMQ. Just be careful.

Im no expert, but training for endurance and speed together is better than than only one. In BMQ, SQ, and in the field, your activites require strength and endurance. The obstacle course stresses the body differently than a straight 6 knm run which is different from a 15 km ruck mark in 2 hours 26 minutes.

I‘d mix wind sprints/interval training to build VO2 and strength and mix in a one longer run for mucle conditioning per week.

If your running is good, loose a running session or two a week and try mixing a weight routine and build more power for the arms, upper back, lower back and shoulders. Lugging a ruck 15 kms not only puts you in a cardio range, but you need the strength to support heavy loads.

As was said, don‘t push yourself too hard. Unless you‘ve been running for a long time I would not recommend running more than every other day(and that‘s at most). 5-8km is plenty for starting. Yes, you should set fitness goals. Set out what it is you eventually want to achieve. If you can do the 2.4km in 9:30 you‘re doing very good. Then set out some small goals along the way. Reaching these small goals will help motivate you to reach your final goal. If you‘re really keen you could also get a pair of hand grips to practice for the test.

Thanks you guys!!! It‘s a great help. Recruiter also told me that for the first week in BMQ they make u do Shuttle Cork runs. Does anyoneknow what exactly it is and what is the timming they use. Thanks to all of you.

Perhaps he was referring to the 20 meter shuttle run or 20msr for short (also known as the "beep" test). 20 MSR is the way the CF evaluates your cardio. It‘s much more accurate than the step test. Basically you run back and forth between two lines which are 20m apart at a speed dictated by a tape or CD playing. After each minute you reach a new stage and the speed increases. You‘ll feel it after running this test.

For a male under 35 you require level 6 to pass. You should try and aim for the incentive levels
Male 17-19 is level 10
Male 20-29 is level 10.5
Male 30-39 is level 8.0

Those are the only ones I remember. If you reach the incentive level on the shuttle run and on the other portions of the test, your test is good for two years instead of one.

A lot of people aren‘t good with the shuttle run. Instead of a straight run, you‘re running and stopping constantly which is a bit harder to take. The good news is that every time you do it, you‘ll have a better sense for the timing and your scores should improve each time you do it. It wasn‘t until my third or fourth test that I reached the incentive level.

what happens if u do not reach level 6 or 7? do u get kicked out?

If you cannot reach your minimum level on the run that means you fail your express test. If you cannot pass your express test by the end of Basic Training you may get recoursed and have to do the whole thing over again. If you continue to fail it you will eventually get released.

Is there large number of recruits who can‘t pass the express test and have to redo the training?

Not from what I‘ve seen, in fact there are few people who cannot pass the express test. If you look at some of the other threads you should find lots of posts with people frustrated by the low fitness standards.

What about the Fitness requirements for SQ Training, after Basic? Particularily, for Infantry?

I‘ve heard that its a fair bit more difficult than the PT you get at Basic.

I do not know about fitness requirements for SQ. I imagine if you can pass the cooper‘s test you‘re doing fine. The Cooper‘s Test consists of the 1.5 mile run (2.4km), pushups, situps, chinups and benchpress. I do not know what the exact numbers for each are. Me thinks someone around here should know.

Biggie, what trade are you going for? That will play a big part in what your PT will be like after the initial BMQ and SQ.
A big thing to remember is that the more you can do before you go, the more you will have to draw from in your mind when "the going gets tough" later. If you‘ve done it once, you can do it again. Good luck.

Back