• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Where does this rank on the 'Everything is fine' in canada metric?

I’m sorry - are the rest of the world suddenly super wealthy?

The US has 78% (!) living paycheque to paycheque as of last year.

Germany has 40% in the same situation.

UK is about 33%.

And I echo @Lumber ’s comment - you may have grown up in a “shithole country” by your standards, but having deployed to a few actual shithole countries, Canada isn’t anywhere near that.

I’m sorry - are the rest of the world suddenly super wealthy?

The US has 78% (!) living paycheque to paycheque as of last year.

And I echo @Lumber ’s comment - you may have grown up in a “shithole country” by your standards, but having deployed to a few actual shithole countries, Canada isn’t anywhere near that.
It's not a matter of how the rest of the world is or isn't. The point is how much Canada has changed and why. If you tell me that Canada housing is hurting because we only build 100k new units while bringing in a million immigrants, then I am going to see that as a big contributing factor to the hardship we have and wonder what our government is thinking. I have seen the argument that carbon tax doesn't affect our food bill pointing to another country that has high food prices while ignoring their version of carbon tax which um yeah doesn't work as an argument the way the person thought. I do find it interesting out of the three you posted only one, the USA, is worse off than us.

As it is a personal opinion then their standard is the only one that matters. I am sure there are many that don't agree with me that both Canada and the USA have become worse and moved towards shitholes in the last few years. The one nice thing is that I am still able to have my own opinion...I think?!? Could be wrong on that as it does seem the governments and special groups are trying to take that away from us. The thought police may be in our heads.

I agree Canada is not a shit hole country, yet. But I can tell you I like living here less than I did in 2015.

And I can tell Canada is on its way to becoming a shit hole county.

Last edited:
Except it will be treated like any purchase in the US. While CBA doesn't usually bother with vehicles built in tanks, they will not look at that one as part of the vehicle. This means that, unless you can prove to them (either with a customs unbroken seal or a signed and stamped custom statement obtained at the time you left Canada), they will assess a levy on it to cover all Federal and provincial taxes, including excise, gas taxes and the carbon tax. If you fail to declare, they will also impose penalties - just like anything else.

There are no provision that exempt oil/gas/petroleum products from import duties.

Came across this about that.

Apr 16 2024

Getting gas in the US?​

Canadian residents may only import duty- and taxes-free fuel in their conveyance in the original tank supplied and installed by the conveyance manufacturer. In short, the fuel must be imported within the ‘manufacturer’s normal tank capacity’ based on the original manufacturer’s equipment,”

"As it is a personal opinion then their standard is the only one that matters. I am sure there are many that don't agree with me that both Canada and the USA have become worse and moved towards shitholes in the last few years. The one nice thing is that I am still able to have my own opinion...I think?!? Could be wrong on that as it does seem the governments and special groups are trying to take that away from us. The thought police may be in our heads.."

^^^This^^^

Slow_Clap_GIF_Image_for_Whatsapp_and_Facebook_21.gif

Last edited:
We're morally weak as a nation.

Our Prime Minister thinks we're stupid enough to believe that CSIS briefed his office multiple times about foreign interference and no one told him. On top of everything else his office conveniently forgot to tell him. He dangles some promises and Canadians lap it up.

Government looked the other way as we became a diploma mill for foreign students. Over a million of them last year, 200,000 whom aren't even registered for any sort of school.

30,000(?) people have been ordered out of the country by cbsa but they just said lol no.

I don't think Canada is a shit hole either but we're certainly on our way.

Thats your opinion. Personally I think Canada has the potential to be the best country to live in. Trudeau has lowered the bar on fucking everything so low, we are plummeting down quickly in terms of average quality of life, health care accessibility, national defence, crime and justice, immigration, education, etc.

According to this web site, we are not even in the top 13 for health care

According to this web site, we are NOT in the top ten for home ownership

In ranking strongest economy we are tenth (which is a crying shame given our resources)

Canada ranks seventh for highest income (We can do so much better with our resources and available work force)

We are not in the top ten for life expectancy

We are presently ranked 11th as safest place to live, we can again do so much better

Take off your rose coloured glasses, raise the bar on your expectations of our government at all levels and demand better
That's not an opinion, that's a fact, in both raw terms and relative terms. What do I mean in raw terms and relative terms?

In raw terms, there are 195 countries in the world.

Canada ranks 17th in the Human Development Index.
Canada ranks 10th in GDP (nominal), and 16th (PPP).
Canada ranks 14th in the Index of Economic Freedom.
Canada ranks 15th in the World Freedom of the Press Index.
Canada ranks 11th in the Global Peace Index.
Canada ranks anywhere from 6th to 19th in Life Expectancy (depending on which organization you ask).
Canada ranks 15th in World Happiness.
Canada ranks 18th in Gender Equality.
Canada ranks 2nd in Credit Rating.
Canada ranks 1st in Freedom of the World which measures civil liberties and political rights.
Canada ranks 13th in the Economist Democracy Index.
Canada ranks 13th in the Legatum Prosperity Index.
Canada ranks 13th in the Human Freedom Index.
Canada ranks 7th in the Global Food Security Index.
Canada ranks 111th in the Pollution index (a the higher the number the better, it's ranking the worst countries, so 1st is the dirtiest country)
Canada ranks 8th in the production of scientific research.
Canada ranks 15th in the Global Innovation Index.
Canada ranks in the top 15 (often in the top 5) in just about every category of "5-year survivability rate" for common cancers.
Canada is the 2nd most educated country in the world.

And, if you want to accept a more subjective assessment, Canada is regularly in the top 3 best countries in the world, even during the years of the dystopian rule of the tyrant Justin Trudeau.

Further, a lot of these rankings also include some very tiny countries (in both physical size and population, i.e. Lichtenstein), and sometimes even special administrative areas (like Hong Kong). If you remove those, our rankings go up.

Finally, if you look at the countries on either side of us in these rankings, they are all countries that just about anyone would agree are "good countries".

I'm not wearing rose coloured glasses. This is a great country.

Now, what do I mean by relative terms?

@QV claimed Canada was a shithole country. Even if you aren't happy with the ranking above, they nonetheless put us light years ahead of any country someone would ever consider "shithole".

@QV claimed Canada was a shithole country. Even if you aren't happy with the ranking above, they nonetheless put us light years ahead of any country someone would ever consider "shithole".
QV and I butt heads plenty, but in fairness to the man it wasn’t him who said that.

That's not an opinion, that's a fact, in both raw terms and relative terms. What do I mean in raw terms and relative terms?

In raw terms, there are 195 countries in the world.

Canada ranks 17th in the Human Development Index.
Canada ranks 10th in GDP (nominal), and 16th (PPP).
Canada ranks 14th in the Index of Economic Freedom.
Canada ranks 15th in the World Freedom of the Press Index.
Canada ranks 11th in the Global Peace Index.
Canada ranks anywhere from 6th to 19th in Life Expectancy (depending on which organization you ask).
Canada ranks 15th in World Happiness.
Canada ranks 18th in Gender Equality.
Canada ranks 2nd in Credit Rating.
Canada ranks 1st in Freedom of the World which measures civil liberties and political rights.
Canada ranks 13th in the Economist Democracy Index.
Canada ranks 13th in the Legatum Prosperity Index.
Canada ranks 13th in the Human Freedom Index.
Canada ranks 7th in the Global Food Security Index.
Canada ranks 111th in the Pollution index (a the higher the number the better, it's ranking the worst countries, so 1st is the dirtiest country)
Canada ranks 8th in the production of scientific research.
Canada ranks 15th in the Global Innovation Index.
Canada ranks in the top 15 (often in the top 5) in just about every category of "5-year survivability rate" for common cancers.
Canada is the 2nd most educated country in the world.

And, if you want to accept a more subjective assessment, Canada is regularly in the top 3 best countries in the world, even during the years of the dystopian rule of the tyrant Justin Trudeau.

Further, a lot of these rankings also include some very tiny countries (in both physical size and population, i.e. Lichtenstein), and sometimes even special administrative areas (like Hong Kong). If you remove those, our rankings go up.

Finally, if you look at the countries on either side of us in these rankings, they are all countries that just about anyone would agree are "good countries".

I'm not wearing rose coloured glasses. This is a great country.

Now, what do I mean by relative terms?

Quirky claimed that Canada was a shithole country, not QV.

It’s not a shit hole country, but every time I drive through the rez my heart breaks just a little bit more. For all the money we spend on other countries, we have the 3rd world (-) right here in every Province.
Ever been to a third world country and seen beyond the tourist areas/cities? Our poor have it pretty damn good comparatively.

Ever been to a third world country and seen beyond the tourist areas/cities? Our poor have it pretty damn good comparatively.
Yeah, I have. I doubt all the millions of Canadians in food lines and living under plastic tarps, burning cardboard in a juice can to stay warm agree with you. I see the same squalor and hopelessness in Trudeauvilles that I saw in Afghanistan. These people are broken, hungry and hurting. There are over 30 Trudeauvilles in Halifax alone. How many in bigger cities? How many more people is that than in 2014? It is only going to get worse.

New topic.
As far as 'shitholes', that's a personal opinion the poster is allowed to make. You may disagree, rant, cajole and denigrate the position, but that's just your opinion. It hold no more or no less status that someone else's opinion. Respect it as much as you expect respect for yours. For a little while yet, we are still free to think what we want, say what we want and feel comfortable doing it. Government censorship is already here, let's not go rushing it down the road to losing personal opinion also. That will come soon enough. You can eat as much as you want, live as extravagant as you want, but if the government has its boot heel on your throat and is controlling your destiny, can take your home and food by cancelling you, you live in a shithole.

Last edited:
Not "shithole", but also "not good enough". Canada is sliding. Either at one time we didn't have so many people living rough, or they were better hidden.
I wonder how you hide a million plus people. 😉

I grew up poor, under the tutelage of the Greatest Generation, but we always had a roof over our head and food in our mouths. The rest of my immediate neighborhood was no different.

200 yards away was this place.
image.jpeg

You can get a look inside here. A look inside the historic Low-Martin House

I used to get the owner his newspaper, when he was in Windsor. That was Paul Martin Sr home.

We held no malice against the man for his stature.

Back