• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Killed by Canadian Troops - Fri. Sept. 19

Sometimes a soldier can make multiple attempts to stop someone before having to use lethal force. I've counted up to 5.  Other times depending on the situation (say distance) a soldier doesn't have time to escalate and needs to jump to lethal force.

Also don't forget that in some of these "Canadian shoots a citizen" situations, the Canadian soldier wasn't aiming to kill said driver, sadly sometimes warning shots just hit too close.
In this case the soldier may have been attempting to warn the guy- he could have aimed for the engine to try and stop the vehicle and the rounds unfortunately hit the occupants.
These news blurbs hardly give enough detail to form an over all picture of what happened.

Also stemming back to one of the first questions, the Taliban have been caught local paying drivers to put pressure on convoys and VCPs etc.. They'll pay someone a few hundred dollars to see how close they can get before the soldiers enact their ROEs. Reasons for this are obvious. One night we caught the same car testing us 7 times.  This probably doesn't happen that much but it does happen.

If you were poor would you accept a years pay to go up and try to spook a cop knowing that 99.5% of the time he's going to first just shoot near you to try and scare you away? 

Most of the time though it's drivers just failing to see convoys/VCPs etc.. or not stop for whatever reason.  You can't understand the local drivers NEED TO BE FIRST mentality until you see it for yourself.

Good posts Brihard
RIP for the driver who sadly lost his life.

Flawed Design said:
Sometimes a soldier can make multiple attempts to stop someone before having to use lethal force. I've counted up to 5.  Other times depending on the situation (say distance) a soldier doesn't have time to escalate and needs to jump to lethal force.

Also don't forget that in some of these "Canadian shoots a citizen" situations, the Canadian soldier wasn't aiming to kill said driver, sadly sometimes warning shots just hit too close.
In this case the soldier may have been attempting to warn the guy- he could have aimed for the engine to try and stop the vehicle and the rounds unfortunately hit the occupants.
These news blurbs hardly give enough detail to form an over all picture of what happened.

Also stemming back to one of the first questions, the Taliban have been caught local paying drivers to put pressure on convoys and VCPs etc.. They'll pay someone a few hundred dollars to see how close they can get before the soldiers enact their ROEs. Reasons for this are obvious. One night we caught the same car testing us 7 times.  This probably doesn't happen that much but it does happen.

If you were poor would you accept a years pay to go up and try to spook a cop knowing that 99.5% of the time he's going to first just shoot near you to try and scare you away? 

Most of the time though it's drivers just failing to see convoys/VCPs etc.. or not stop for whatever reason.  You can't understand the local drivers NEED TO BE FIRST mentality until you see it for yourself.

Good posts Brihard
RIP for the driver who sadly lost his life.

Hey, thanks, I was hoping you'd show up here- after your last roto you're probably pretty close to being a SME on this exact subject.

You've got a PM.

Brihard said:
The enemy knows that public perception is one of our greater weaknesses, and they know how to exploit that. Situations like that have certainly happened in Iraq. They know that one of the worst blows to our mission comes from stories appearing on CBC about Canadians killing civilians, so if they can fraudulently generate such situations, they come out ahead.
I was thinking this same thing that it could be unarmed TB going for a media victory and have more debate over here.

Asked the question, then went out of town for the weekend and didn't get a chance to check back on it.
I'm glad I'm not totally out to lunch.

Well, IMHO, I feel that if these civillians, or TB are going to keep this up for monetary or PR gain, we can expect alot more of this scharade to continue for God only knows how long. Dig in boys and girls. Ubique

gun runner said:
Well, IMHO, I feel that if these civillians, or TB are going to keep this up for monetary or PR gain, we can expect alot more of this scharade to continue for God only knows how long. Dig in boys and girls. Ubique
If these are just plain dumb civilians & we've plowed into them.... we're not going to win their hearts & minds very fast ... and that is exactly what the TB are counting on.  They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having the locals mad at us.

Back