• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Budget 2024 megathread

It appears that some of the few federal sites being looked at for housing include old armouries outside of cities. Seems a bit cynical to pull down actively used heritage sites for a couple houses though I do wonder why the CAF holds some these old sites instead of gifting them to the organizations using them.

What possible advantage is there in tearing down the odd building for what a dozen thrown up apartments? Vast areas of Eastern Europe suffer from the same blight: the soviets tore down whole neighbourhoods to build what have to be amongst the ugliest buildings in the world to house the masses, thus destroying the soul of the community

Aside from hosting the reserve units and usually some cadet squads, aren't those usually also part of various emergency response plans for the areas? Not a whole lot of places where you can quarter a lot of people in short notice, and thought they had some folks sleeping there for the wildfire support.

Kind of stupid to say they want us to do more Op Lentus type things then handicap our ability to put up a lot of people in locations across Canada at short notice at a DND location.

If the housing crisis is that bad, maybe clean up the thousands of acres of brown fields left over from all the industries that we've killed first?

What possible advantage is there in tearing down the odd building for what a dozen thrown up apartments?
Anticipate that they will find a solution that keeps the heritage facade, but you might see a tower grow above the interior drill-floor. It’s already been done a few times.

It appears that some of the few federal sites being looked at for housing include old armouries outside of cities. Seems a bit cynical to pull down actively used heritage sites for a couple houses though I do wonder why the CAF holds some these old sites instead of gifting them to the organizations using them.
We traded our old armouries for land and space in a new facility.

The University got the old armouries and turned it into a arts facility along with a large auditorium for performances.

When I was in Spain a few weeks ago I discovered that they have a program that is converting and using heritage sites for a variety of private ventures. Housing, hotels, theatres businesses etc. They have rules about maintaining heritage statuses etc but as you can imagine Spain has massive amounts of older historical buildings (forts, palaces, churches dating back to antiquity) and this helps keep them maintained and repurposed.

We traded our old armouries for land and space in a new facility.

As I recall that's an odd piece of ground... there's a steep drop off on the right side, as you look at the picture, which would make it a bit awkward for residential construction I would have thought...

The old armouries is smack in the middle of downtown. No dropoff. It's surrounded by roads.

The new one, likewise. All flat land.

Thanks for posting that Dimsum. It made for an informative read, even if I dozed off twucs while reading it... (its all government documents, not just this one)

I think we will have to see what the final draft looks like, to be fair

I'm assuming any pharmacare bill will help cover those who are not already covered by a plan through their workplace, hence nobody will have to give up one for the other.

But who knows how it'll play out in the final draft & in practice...

I was going to post in the Canada is irrelevant thread, but couldn't find it & I'm in a rush.

But I figure it's probably budget related also, so here...

Like I said the other day folks, remember...all of the other G7 countries are envious of us! (Sarcasm incase it isn't obvious)

So on one hand, PP shouldn’t be criticized too much for not committing to keeping or dropping the program given that it hasn’t even really launched yet. I can accept that reasoning.

On the other, it seems that he has made up the part about the gouvernement banning private plans. Not sure why he decided to go that route when he didn’t have to.

So on one hand, PP shouldn’t be criticized too much for not committing to keeping or dropping the program given that it hasn’t even really launched yet. I can accept that reasoning.

On the other, it seems that he has made up the part about the gouvernement banning private plans. Not sure why he decided to go that route when he didn’t have to.

Maybe he was just wrong ? Maybe he made an assumption ?

Maybe he was just wrong ? Maybe he made an assumption ?
The facts have been readily available to him. A guy who wants to lead the country should not be acting on assumption when the facts are readily available (especially considering it’s part of his current job to know what is in the bills being considered in parliament).

The facts have been readily available to him. A guy who wants to lead the country should not be acting on assumption when the facts are readily available (especially considering it’s part of his current job to know what is in the bills being considered in parliament).
Remember back before the 2015 General Election, the CPC rolled out the "Justin Trudeau - he's just not ready." ads. Maybe the LPC would do the same to PP if he keeps this crap up.

Remember back before the 2015 General Election, the CPC rolled out the "Justin Trudeau - he's just not ready." ads. Maybe the LPC would do the same to PP if he keeps this crap up.
Wow. One rather miniscule slip up and people like you are quick to burn him at the stake. DAMN HIM, right?

And what? Overlook the damn massive blunders that the Trudeau LPC makes? As Nick Nanos stated a few weeks back "Pierre has room for some errors..."

Next was he inaccurate? The Liberals have a way of putting a bill forward, saying its one thing when the fine prints says something else.

Rush in the Pierre Haters/Closet Trudeau fans to condemn me and tear apart everything I just posted.

Wow. One rather miniscule slip up and people like you are quick to burn him at the stake. DAMN HIM, right?

And what? Overlook the damn massive blunders that the Trudeau LPC makes? As Nick Nanos stated a few weeks back "Pierre has room for some errors..."

Next was he inaccurate? The Liberals have a way of putting a bill forward, saying its one thing when the fine prints says something else.

Rush in the Pierre Haters/Closet Trudeau fans to condemn me and tear apart everything I just posted.
That’s why I posted the actual bill to confirm/deny any speculation.

I don’t think @Haggis is burning him quite yet - he specifically said “maybe the LPC would do it if he keeps it up”. He didn’t say “should”, or that PP has kept it up.

The proof whether it was a slip or not will be whether he corrects himself when he inevitably gets called on it.

"people like you". Yup, we're everywhere.

At this point, based on the text of the bill today, yes, he was wrong. Nobody will have to give up their Canada Life, Sunlife, Manulife plans and be forced to adopt the Jag/Justin Plan. Maybe after it goes through committee and is heavily amended, he will be right.
I love his fashion sense. He wears the same type of cartoonish socks as my grandkids.

Not burn him at the stake. Point out that this kind of nonsense quite neatly demonstrates the "put stick in the spokes of your bike tire" self sabotage that will give the LPC a crack of daylight between now and next October.

I don’t think anyone is trying to burn him at the stake.
No one is overlooking anything. And yes he has room for errors. But Haggis is, I think, pointing out that he may not have room for a lot of errors.
Apparently yes. His statement was wrong.
No need to project and try to define. That isn’t good faith discussion. I know you are a fan so it’s understandable and even expected you will defend him.

PP should not be immune from fair criticism though just because of that.

Back