• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MMA Anyone?

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I have taken Tae Kwon Do in my younger years, but quit as it wasnt aggressive enough for my tastes.

For anyone who doesnt know, MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts, which has recently begun to sweep through North America via the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship).

I have been in contact with a UFC member, Jens Pulver who has been a great insiration and has driven me to seek training sessions. (I actually came across him playing online games) http://www.jenspulver.com/

I have been looking into some different styles, but have run into a problem. I've done some research and have come across a pretty decent establishment with a great reputation who offers programs that interest me, but I wont be around long enough to dedicate myself. http://www.ultimatemartialarts.ca/

I'm interested in achieving a Green Level in Muay Thai as a goal, and gaining some Jiu-Jitsu experience. That way, I'll have a strikers chance with a good ground game on the mats. I've talked it out, and Jens even seems to think its the best combo. Better to be a striker that can wrestle, than a wrestler that can strike.

I'm more than likely looking at a posting in Petawawa within the end of the year. My question is, does anyone know of any Martial Arts clubs or programs available in the area, and is anyone involved in the sport?

Seems like the sport is more rare than I thought  ;D :eek:

I hear ya.. check my post in the hand to hand combat topic in Infantry section to see my take on some of the arts.

In short, currently taking Jiujitsu and have taken 9 months of muay thai (LOVED it) and plan to go to Thailand to persue further training.

I am very into MMA and the UFC. I watch Ultimate Fighter (in your FACE Chris Leben, wah wah) and am collecting all the UFC dvd's. I am extremely exciting about UFC51 .. Randy Couture vs Chuck Liddell! That is gonna be showstopper right there, even more than when Chuck spanked Tito for being a bad little boy before he knocked his ass out.

I agree with you about TKD.. NA style is too sportified and watered down although the Korean pure style looks very interesting.

Amazing that you have been in contact with that UFC member! I wish I had such a contact .. to watch some training sessions.. you bastard!

If you're interested in muay thai.. why not plan a vacation there? 2000 dollars Cdn or so and you will live and train like a king for a good month. Hard to believe that most of that 2 grand comes from the damned air ticket! But I think 2000 dollars to get over there, train 8 hrs a day 7 days a week for a month, while able to have the ability to tour the city when not training and be able to buy just about anything is pretty friggen good.

If you're interested in that .. check out camp lanna / kiat busaba, or rawai muay thai camp. Rawai has more up to date facilities but Kiat Busaba strikes me more as being a bit more about the muay thai itself. Of course, haven't been there so can't say for sure.

As for Pet... can't help ya :( I don't even have contacts there to ask. As for being involved in MMA.. I guess you can say I am, but I'm not actively competing in it. It's just something personal that I am doing, learning every art I can and using what works and such. Although I am not totally opposed to the idea.

You gonna be watching the fight April 16th?

Little Evil, he put on a hell of a fight at Prides last ppv - Shockwave. 

Anyways I've had MMA interests myself, right now I have a years experiance in Wrestling and have been thinking of cross training in BBJ or Kickboxing.  Not sure.

Make sure you have wrestling experiance and submission techniques if you go mma or you're fucked.  :salute:

You got some mat experience, why not balance it out with kickboxing?

I took some MMA in Winnipeg, but had to stop when I moved to Shilo. I miss it and wish I could have continued.

I just hope I can keep wrestling once I get enlisted, it'd suck it I'd hafto shelve my skills  :crybaby:

9nr Domestic said:
I took some MMA in Winnipeg, but had to stop when I moved to Shilo. I miss it and wish I could have continued.

You know, MCpl Turner runs the Jiujitsu club here, Tues and Thurs nights. It may not be MMA but jiujitsu is a commonly used martial art in MMA all the same. It's pretty good stuff, he's a good guy and the training we do isn't to waste time or learn useless techniques.

I'm definatly going to be watching April's fight, my money is on Liddel. As for the latest Ultimate Fighter go in the Octagon, although Koscheck won it, it wasnt fairly bland. Chris Leben should have taken it, since his record shows that he's more than capable of it, but Josh just wanted a win. Lying on chris and leaving it to the judges was just gay, I was really routing for Chris. He just has some growing up to do...

Id love to get into some Thai soon, not sure my career choice would allow overseas training, but Id love to get into some low profile compititions within the area. TKD was simple boring...

I too was disappointed between Koscheck and Leben. Now, Koscheck may be a great wrestler but he sure as hell didn't show it in there. A novice wrestler could do what he did, he didn't attempt any locks/breaks or anything remotely submission like. I also shared Chris's frustration about not causing any damage.

I was checking around on www.groundnpound.org forums (a great site! check it out!) where Chuck Liddell himself posts, as well as David "Soul Assassin" Terrell.. and Koscheck has posted there too (although the people don't like him very much...) anyhow, according to some people, there is a rumour that as a twist in the last episode, they may bring back some of the defeated fighters to give them one last shot at getting that UFC contract.

While no one knows why they would do that, current speculation is that because they want to give some fighters who are obviously good but were eliminated a chance to redeem themselves... and remember it does say two contracts are up for the grabs..

It's just rumours but they came from a guy who claims to know some people involved with the show, and who accurately said how Koscheck would win and Chris's reaction. After seeing what he said come true I am inclined to believe him a bit more.

Anyhow .. he claims that one of the eliminated fighters will come back to settle the score with Koscheck... hmm, wonder who that is?

Here's hoping he's right  ;D I'd absolutely love to see Chris get another shot at revenge.

Id love to see that, I'm really looking forward to seeing Forest get in the Octagon now. He seems like the kinda guy who knows what he's doing...

From his little monkey routine there, it's kinda hard to believe he's a police officer isn't it??

Sh0rtbUs said:
I'm definatly going to be watching April's fight, my money is on Liddel. As for the latest Ultimate Fighter go in the Octagon, although Koscheck won it, it wasnt fairly bland. Chris Leben should have taken it, since his record shows that he's more than capable of it, but Josh just wanted a win. Lying on chris and leaving it to the judges was just gay, I was really routing for Chris. He just has some growing up to do...

Id love to get into some Thai soon, not sure my career choice would allow overseas training, but Id love to get into some low profile compititions within the area. TKD was simple boring...

Josh was the better wrestler and all he had to do was keep chris on the ground.  Chris was a previous wreslter but his knowladge in submissions showed cause he couldn't perform any when he had many oppurtunities.

But yeah, I feel bad for the guy with the sprained ankle :( I liked that guy.

from http://www.mmaweekly.com/

As MMAWeekly.com first reported, it appears Ken Shamrock will face off against Rich Franklin in the main event on the Spike TV free show on April 9th.

The show of course will highlight the 185lb finals and the 205lb finals from the show The Ultimate Fighter on Spike TV.

MMAWeekly has also learned that not only will there be the two final fights, plus the Shamrock vs Franklin main event, but it also appears that other fighters on the TUF show will compete against one another on the free Spike TV show on April 9th.

That means fighters who have been kicked off the show, could come back and fight other fighters who have been or will be booted off the show.

Here's the three guaranteed fights...

The Ultimate Fighter Finals

185 pound Final - TBA vs TBA

205 pound Final - TBA vs TBA

Ken Shamrock vs Rich Franklin - verbally agreed to, waiting for both contracts to be signed according to Shamrock on a radio interview yesterday.

Plus five or six other fights that will take place between fighters who have been or will be kicked off The Ultimate Fighter show.

Im not a big fan of Shamrock's style of hitting, mostly because it seems like he's afraid to hurt his hand. Kinda like slapping with a closed fist. I wouldnt want Forrest to be the one chasing me down...

Jason, how much do you pay for your current training program?

Really looking forward to seeing Chris back, is he going up against Koscheck again, or a new opponent within his weight class?

I don't pay, the only money I've spent were on a pair for boots and singlet (I've only used in once, I have a tournament coming up which will require me to dawn it on once again).

And about shamrock, he has numerious times broken his hand so I kinda understand why he wouldn't wanna hurt it  :p

I can relate  ;D About how much would I be looking at? (Roughly)

Rumour is Chris will be going up against Koscheck.

If you don't want to read a potential spoiler about the show then don't read the following!

============

Stupid Koscheck kind of blew some details about the show when he posted on the groundnpound.org forums. He said "part of my my deal with KTFO is that I chat to MMA fans on these forums, so what's up? What did you guys think of the show?"

The thing is, Koscheck must have gotten very far or to the end for KTFO to sign him on. If he got a UFC contract no one knows but KTFO wouldn't sign on someone unless they got far and impressed them in this show.

Therefore, it is highly likely if Chris does come back him and Koscheck will be going for a rematch. Not only would it make sense but ensure killer ratings.

It should be a good one. Hopefully Chris has learned a lesson, and will come in with his usual in your face approach, rather than his last TUF match which proved that being stand offish doesnt work.

To be honest, I think Koscheck is a weak fighter, solely because he has practically no striking ability. He had many opprotunities to cause some damaga to Chris, but either didnt recognize them or simply wasted them by throwing weak, half assed blows. All Chris needs is 1 or 2 good blows to connect and that should throw Koscheck off his game. I mean come on, "the guy hits like a Mack Truck" according to Couture.

As has been said before, Koscheck has game on the ground, but so far doesnt seem to be revealing it.

I just really want to see him get knocked out, solely because if Leben does it, its going to be a hard one.

2 Light HeavyWeights have a go in the Octagon tonight at 11, should be good. Hopefully there isnt too much drama and they get straight to the good stuff  ;D

Back