• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

So what have we here?

6635643463613038.jpg

Regards,
ironduke57

* I don't mean to stray off topic.
George Wallace said:
Nice Photoshop job on two different AFV chassis with Ferrarri kits.  Top one has seven evenly spaced roadwheels with the sprocket in the front.  Bottom one has six roadwheels with spaces between the first and second and second and third, with the sprocket in the rear (one too many roadwheels to be a backwards Puma Chassis.).  

Yeah, I know this is old but is this really a Photoshop job? I didn't know what Photoshop was at the time. (lack of computer knowledge).

Even if it is a photoshop job, I have no idea what vehicles it's made up of, except the nose is somewhat "BRDM 1" like, the turret a close match to the BMP-1 single-man 73mm gun turret, complete with SAGGER rail on top of the barrel just forward of the mantlet so I'd hazard a guess to say it was an East Bloc/Warsaw Pact creation.

Other than that, not the foggiest.

CSA 105 said:
Even if it is a photoshop job, I have no idea what vehicles it's made up of, except the nose is somewhat "BRDM 1" like, the turret a close match to the BMP-1 single-man 73mm gun turret, complete with SAGGER rail on top of the barrel just forward of the mantlet so I'd hazard a guess to say it was an East Bloc/Warsaw Pact creation.

Other than that, not the foggiest.
Not photoshopped. It´s real and was shown on an exposition in the last years. It´s from the east.

Regards,
ironduke57

Blackadder,

It's a Canadian made Bobcat APC chassis fitted as a self-propelled artillery piece with a 105mm C1 howitzer.  It was designed to be airportable in a C-119 transport aircraft which was the standard RCAF transport at the time the Bobcat was being developed.  Other than that I don't have too many details to provide.

The photo makes it look like it was an open topped vehicle which would have made it even less capable than the Abbott was.

Dan.

You got it, exspy.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/caj/documents/vol_02/iss_4/CAJ_vol2.4_19_e.pdf
Three unarmoured prototypes were authorized: two APCs and a self propelled gun variant. The contract was awarded to Leyland Motors of Longueuil, Quebec (later Canadian Car, and still later Hawker Siddeley of Canada, who brought their expertise with aluminium production to bear).  After acceptance by the Army in 1958, the prototypes were put through a number of tests. These tests only served to fuel Army enthusiasm, and the number of vehicles required jumped accordingly to 1567. Six armoured prototypes were then ordered; with the vehicle now being designated “Bobcat.”

The link to the CAJ article provides a good background of the Bobcat story. 

While the APC version had a retractable (roll-back) armoured roof allowing the occupants to fight from the vehicle, don't know about the SP gun variant.  This speculative drawing (from the quoted article) is interesting.

Back