• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
a.schamb said:
Just curious, you receive forms for an eye exam and blood test before your medical correct? Is there still a vision test at your medical then?

The answer to your question is at the "*****" below. I wrote a big long post and then realized what your question was, so feel free to skip ahead.

After my CFAT I went into the medical officers office and scheduled my medical exam. I was then given 2 pieces of paper, one was for an eye exam, and also they referred me to a nearby eye doctor that was familiar with the procedure.(I'm sure they all are).  The other piece of paper I was to take to my family doctor and it contains the information for what tests they need. 

The eye test was a for colour vision, some other machine that I wasn't sure of, one that blows air on to your eye and one that takes a picture of the back of your eye.  Then they take you to check to see if you need glasses with the chart.  Then they put some eye drops in your eyes that paralyze the muscles that allow your pupils to contract (so they are fully dilated).  You have to wait 40 minutes until you can not see anything (everything is blurry, literally can not read the large numbers of the clock on my iPhone) and then you do the same test again.  I was told it is because sometimes you may actually need glasses but the muscles in your eyes can correct enough that you wouldn't notice.

The piece of paper for the doctor is for a ECG(heart) and blood and urine tests, which your doctor refers you to, and then the results go back to your doctor who interprets them and writes down if you a physically okay to join the military.

******At the CF medical the more junior of the two medical officers (medical technician maybe?) did a vision test, but she was "just doing it to be sure" and "guess what the eye doctor was right" it was her first day at the CFRC in Vancouver, so maybe if you get someone more senior they wouldn't do another vision test.

Came home from school today to message left on the answering machine. It was my file manager asking that I contact him back in order to book my CFAT.

I won't be scheduling the appointment just yet and will most likely book it on Monday. Since the CFRC here is open until 4:30 in the afternoon, and I don't have a ride at all until 4, I will have to discuss travel options with my parents and let them know about the situation.

Feels good to get moving again!

nice to hear you're moving again Scriptox, pretty good day to get a message so you have the weekend to think about it.

I got a call yesterday and unfortunately I have to re-do my blood test.  When I first did it one of the tests was a tiny bit high, and my doctor thought I should redo it (only so that it wouldn't hurt my application) so I called the Medical Officer and she said it wouldn't be a problem.  But my doctor wrote on the sheet that the CF should consider retesting me and Ottawa took his advice. Anyways, doing it tomorrow and hopefully get it back on Monday.

Went to the Ontario University Fair today in Toronto at the Toronto Metro Convention Centre (of which I might add, in the North building a Yu-Gi-Oh card tournament was taking place :p) . Attended the RMC presentation and also talked to a couple of recruiters at the booth (the presentations of all universities were done on a separate floor, away from the booths). With the RMC presentation, it was presented by a representative of the registrar, and 3 current RMC students. One was fourth year, another third year, and the other I'm not sure, since she didn't talk at all during the presentation. To say the least, it was a very good presentation! I learned a couple of things here and there, but nothing that I wouldn't I have been able to find on-line. At the end of the presentation the question and answer section seemed to take forever lol, because one person would ask a question, and then another would be sparked to ask a question relatively relating to the last question asked haha. The attendance of the presentation was quite surprising to me actually, compared to the other University presentations I went to, the attendance was quite low; only about 20 people or so. The room that the presentation was given in was the smallest I had seen out of all presentation rooms. I also had the chance to talk to the third year student and surprise surprise, he was pursuing a trade as a Signals Officer haha. I asked how their application process went, and things like how are their experiences at the school so far.

Overall very informing day today!

I have also arranged transportation with my dad to not go into work in order to drive me to the recruiting centre the day of my CFAT. All I have to do now is call on Monday and schedule it sometime the week after this week. :)

EDIT: Also to add, the lady in the presentation from the registrar said that the projected amount of spots available for this year is 500. That's just what she said. Not exactly sure how true that statement is, and of course it can change, but I just thought I'd let you all know.

Sent my application in for ROTP two weeks ago. Got a call from someone in the forces (not certain if he was a recruiter or not) the very next day telling me to print and complete the ROTP questionnaire; which I did. I had originally applied for MPO, Armour O, and Infantry O, but he said with my previous college and high school marks I probably would not be a competitive applicant for MPO (unsure of the other trades in regards to competitiveness). I consider myself lucky as I have applied for some NCM positions in the past and have already completed my CFAT and medical. Now I just have to play the waiting game and wait for a phone call for an interview. Any ideas of when ROTP interviews start rolling out? *Note: I had originally said I would only be applying to Trent University, but I will be notifying the interviewers that I have done some research and RMC interests me greatly!*

Good luck everyone. :)

Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie to this forum but I have similar intentions to join the forces through ROTP. Just wanted to introduce myself before I start commenting on other people's posts. I'm in grade 12 at the moment and I only just started my application process. The trades I'm applying for are Aerospace Engineer, EME, and MPO. Well that's pretty much it for now but I'll keep you guys updated when I make progress.

dannyboy41 said:
I had originally applied for MPO, Armour O, and Infantry O, but he said with my previous college and high school marks I probably would not be a competitive applicant for MPO (unsure of the other trades in regards to competitiveness).

This really strikes me as odd because when I went to the recruiting office last week to get my ROTP application, the recruiter told me that they were not taking any Military Police Officer applications this year...It was terrible news to me because it was originally my first choice. ;)

[Best]

A few words of advice to those applying to ROTP for 2012-13:

I am currently a OCdt in the ROTP and am attending a civilian university;

1. Take your time on the application forms and the "essay". If you take your time and do it well, it will set you apart and help you the rest of the way.

2. Make alternate plans. Not to say your application won't be successful, but if you only apply for RMC/CMR under ROTP you could end up with no path if your application isn't successful. 

3. When talking with CFRC staff or any current Forces member during the long process, always be professional. Being anything but professional to anyone will be noted on your file.

4. This is a long drawn out process. Don't get worried if once you submit your application package, you don't hear anything for months. I sent in my application on 28 November, the deadline was 17 January, and i heard absolutely nothing till 16 April. Don't worry it is normal.

Hope this somewhat helps and I wish you all the best in your applications.

Your application will be weighed against the rest of them- those who score highest will receive offers.

You will likely have to convince your interviewing officer that you're worth a second shot at ROTP.  Make sure your application is better than it was last time, and try to find a way to show that you've learned from your mistake, grown up, and won't screw up again.

Good luck.

Booked my CFAT today for the 27th of October at CFRC Hamilton for 8:45 AM. It's unfortunate that I always tend to get nervous when speaking to Military personnel, especially at the recruiting centre. When the recruiter on the other line picked up, he greeted me and everything, I proceeded on to say, "Hey, how are you? I received a message...." The thing is, I asked how he was and never let in any room for him to say how he actually was lol. Now that I think of it, it probably didn't matter that much, but it's funny looking back on it now because he was probably thinking, "What the heck?"

Anyway:

Recruiting Center: CFRC Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer (ROTP)
Trade Choice 1: Signals Officer
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: September 20, 2011
First Contact: October 4, 2011
Aptitude: (Scheduled) October 27, 2011
Medical: 
Interview completed:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

I'm curious as to why you were deemed "unsuitable" for RMC.  It would seem to me that if you were unsuitable for RMC, then you were unsuitable for ROTP as well.  Remember that the CF is recruiting officers and the ROTP is just one fo the methods we use.  We are not running a scholarship program with our own university.  The question should be whethr you are suitable for officer training or not.  What school you go to is irrelevant at this point.

In answer to your specific question, anything you do to improve your file will help.  There is more than one of us in the CF who were rejected the first time and then bounced back.  An important thing to note though is that acceptance is also based on the presumption that you will successfully complete your current year of studies.  If you are accepted into ROTP and then subsequently fail a course prior to enrollment, your offer could be reviewed and rescinded.  In short, don't stop working just because you think you're home free.

scriptox said:
Booked my CFAT today for the 27th of October at CFRC Hamilton for 8:45 AM. It's unfortunate that I always tend to get nervous when speaking to Military personnel, especially at the recruiting centre. When the recruiter on the other line picked up, he greeted me and everything, I proceeded on to say, "Hey, how are you? I received a message...." The thing is, I asked how he was and never let in any room for him to say how he actually was lol. Now that I think of it, it probably didn't matter that much, but it's funny looking back on it now because he was probably thinking, "What the heck?"

Anyway:

Recruiting Center: CFRC Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer (ROTP)
Trade Choice 1: Signals Officer
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: September 20, 2011
First Contact: October 4, 2011
Aptitude: (Scheduled) October 27, 2011
Medical: 
Interview completed:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

Good for you! Keep it up :)

First post in a looong time. I'm applying for ROTP for Inf Officer. I hope to go to a civy U (UWindsor or UWO) as I'd like to get the best of both worlds, civy U and thirteen years in the CF. My paperwork was accepted and two days later I got a call from CFRC London for my CFAT and made officer.

A bit about me, I've been working in the recruiting process for a long time (about the last five years). I didn't do well in high school, dropped out but at the time not thinking as I was still eligible for Inf NCM and hit the work force. I decided to aim towards being a med tech as they can still be in combat units and I could be in the medical field. Went back to school and got my science credits and graduated in an adult course.

I'm at least old enough to have learned from my mistakes. I've worked ever since and while always wanting to be in the CF its hard making more than min-wage without college or university. While dropping out of school could work against me the last six years I've discovered my love of history (which I want to take at university). In my spare time I'm a Vietnam War re-enactor that works with the public and the Canadian Vietnam Veterans Association. I can't take all the credit either but I created the petition to get 172km from CFB Trenton to the Don Vally Parkway the “Highway of Heroes” and thanks to you guys had over 63,000 signatures in three weeks.

I found out the hard way that my heart was wanting the infantry more than the medical field (listen to your hearts) and after temporomandibular joint surgery giving me the ability to run longer than five minutes I hit the gym hard and toured Vietnam alone for two months as I wouldn't have time while in the CF. While I was there it made me realize I want to study history and write about it so university and joining the CF for a career it made sense to apply for ROTP. The trip taught me that I can handle big challenges and being an Infantry Officer is just that but if I put my mind to it I can do it.

I've applied, and have done my CFAT. I can't talk about the CFAT questions but use the practice test as an example, they won't be that easy. I suggest trying the US Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) here... http://www.military.com/ASVAB and study the style of questions. The test was tough and afterwards talking to the rest of the test takers I didn't think I did too well but luckily I made officer but 60% of those who took it didn't get their choices (most were wanting veh tech).

After the test I met my file manager and they told me my files would be sent to RMC before my interview and medical which she thought was odd. Until then she told me to get ready for my interview and they'll call me. She told me to write down realistic expectations from the CF (I assumed what I except the CF to do for me but I don't expect anything, just wrote down what I hope I get and do in the CF), 10 positive things and 10 negative things about being an Infantry Officer, that I have to explain to them about the trade, the training (where, how many months, etc), general knowledge on the CF and to find an Inf Officer for first hand knowledge on the career. She also told me that poor interviews are about an hour, most are 2 1/2 hours and great ones are 3 hours. Don't use that as the golden rule but as an example of length.

I'm friends with a former recruiter and although I'm modest they told me to bang your own drum, talk about all your accomplishments and why you think you'd be a great candidate.

To all those who ask if they would be a good candidate and posting school grades... nobody on here can say unless they're all members of the officer board. Do your best in school, be active in team sports or in your community, do the best to make yourself an awesome person, have some confidence and apply. Be the best you can be and see what happens :)

If you have any questions at least search the board as there's thousands of ROTP questions and answers and reading former year ROTP threads for answers and an idea of what our future until Sept may hold.

When it comes to waiting keep in touch with your CFRC but don't nag/bug them. It takes a while to hear back about things but just use that time to keep working out (which everyone applying should be doing) and making yourself a better recruit. Keep a good attitude, keep busy and good luck!

awesome post forcerecon85, I haven't met my file manager yet and haven't got any tips about the interview, but hopefully they'll give me some more info when they call me to schedule.  So far I've just been studying interview tips from my university.

I got the results back from my second (re-done) blood test and all the numbers came back normal.  I took it down to the recruiting center and it was all they needed so my file is moving again. 

Scriptox, I'm also pretty nervous when I talk to them, It's getting better though.  I still mean to call them by their ranks, especially on the phone, but I never seem to spit it out. 

Anybody doing reserves while at civvy uni and then planning on applying to ROTP once you've graduated? That's my plan right now. Took my CFAT and was told by my file manager that I would had good potential as an officer.

buck13 said:
Anybody doing reserves while at civvy uni and then planning on applying to ROTP once you've graduated? That's my plan right now.

If you have graduated from university, you cannot join through ROTP. Slight flaw in your plan there.

I haven't graduated yet, I'm in my second year. My understanding was that through some summer courses I could still do it. But I might be wrong. Continuing education - the main reason anyone should post or read topics on this site. Also I messed up the original post. Meant to say become an officer once you've graduated. My mistake.

jwtg said:
Your application will be weighed against the rest of them- those who score highest will receive offers.

You will likely have to convince your interviewing officer that you're worth a second shot at ROTP.  Make sure your application is better than it was last time, and try to find a way to show that you've learned from your mistake, grown up, and won't screw up again.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I've been attentively waiting for someone to give me some sense of hope/direction. I was told that I didn't do too well during the interview and that I should practice more, so I plan on working on that for when I apply in a month or two.

Pusser said:
I'm curious as to why you were deemed "unsuitable" for RMC.  It would seem to me that if you were unsuitable for RMC, then you were unsuitable for ROTP as well.  Remember that the CF is recruiting officers and the ROTP is just one fo the methods we use.  We are not running a scholarship program with our own university.  The question should be whethr you are suitable for officer training or not.  What school you go to is irrelevant at this point.

In answer to your specific question, anything you do to improve your file will help.  There is more than one of us in the CF who were rejected the first time and then bounced back.  An important thing to note though is that acceptance is also based on the presumption that you will successfully complete your current year of studies.  If you are accepted into ROTP and then subsequently fail a course prior to enrollment, your offer could be reviewed and rescinded.  In short, don't stop working just because you think you're home free.

When I called to follow-up regarding my application, I was told that I would be more suited for a Civillian University and not for RMC. I assume it's due to the fact that I didn't participate in sports/extracurriculars enough making my profile not as competitive as the others who have. I've definitely learned from my mistakes and am trying my best to better my shortcomings from my previous application. Due to the fact that I've only really learned about the Canadian Forces and its opportunities last year, I wasn't able to prepare as much as I could in order to look competitive (i.e. I haven't gone to Cadets and didn't join sports teams). I'm currently joining as many teams as I can this year, and my grades have greatly increased, so I'm hoping that I can pull through and be accepted.

Again, thanks to the two of you for responding to my thread. I greatly appreciate the time you've both taken to do so.

KG

Another update! Turns out, it is not a fracture or break of any kind :\. So I ask doc what is it? "Meh couldn't tell yeah". Personally a little disappointed seeing my pain level is quite high right now. "It will get better in time", so hopefully w.e is wrong is fixed soon. I am going for laser therapy Thursday to see if that helps, anyways goodluck everyone!

PS Typing with one hand sucks hehe.

buck13 said:
I haven't graduated yet, I'm in my second year. My understanding was that through some summer courses I could still do it. But I might be wrong. Continuing education - the main reason anyone should post or read topics on this site. Also I messed up the original post. Meant to say become an officer once you've graduated. My mistake.

CDN Aviator is right, you would have to apply through DEO (Direct Entry Officer). Don't take a blind leap of faith of you want to do Continuing Ed, I have friends that are doing it now and they dislike it. Simply put, if you want to party and live your life as a university student during your summers.. Apply for the DEO plan. Personally, I think doing reserves before becoming an officer is a fantastic idea. You gain the experience and skills need to complete your phases and also are exposed to what it is like to be a trooper instead of a "Stuck up Officer  ;D". The best leaders are also good followers + the chance of bypassing Officer Phases is a real fact for reservists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back