• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eisenhev said:
I have just recently joined this fourm because of the valuable information that i can be given from other aspiring CF canidates.
The question that i was really curious about is weather I am at all a competitive canidate for the ROTP.
I am a grade 12 student in my final year and i have a 91 average for my whole high school carrer.
I'm not on any school teams, but I am very atheletic.  I have been working at my job for the last three years and i am now the assistant manager at the studio.  As for volunteer work, I have done about 100 hours, and I also part of the peer mentoring at my school.  I am also a part of the grad committee.
I'm applying to the ROTP as a nurse, and I have already been excepted to Dalhousie university and ST. FX (cant descide which one i want to go to  :facepalm::
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Your already accepted into two universities? Congrats!

But about your question for "sports teams".. I assume they do have some merit, but that should not stop you from applying. I have played Jr. level hockey, and have played organized sports all my life, the recruiters didn't care "that" much. What had merit is when I coached teams, or was a team Captain.

You seem smart, apply, and do it soon! ROTP isn't an all year thing, good luck.

EDIT: I thought you were simply asking if being part of sports teams was essential.. i miss read, eek. Good luck!

Hey LOLslamball. I am applying for pilot this year through ROTP. I have my interview coming up on November 10. How far are you into the process? And any rough idea on how many seats for pilot this year?

By the way, I applied through CFRC Vancouver.

Please do throw my way any advice you guys have for the interview. It will be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

Good Luck to you all.

Hello 2012 applicants! I successful have been selected for ROTP last year and I am now at RMC Kingston. I'm sure this has been said many times, but I want to give you applicants a few words of advice.

1) The most important advice I can give you is begin training now. You have a little under a year to get yourself into shape. You should be able to do at least 25 proper push ups, hold the plank position for at least 2 minutes, do 35 proper sit ups in a minute, and run like hell. The better shape you are in coming to RMC, the easier your life will be. If you do not pass the RMC PPT test, you will have to wake up at 0530 every morning to go to physical training. This applies for the CivU people as well. You have to do the CF expres test when you have your indoc period, and in BMOQ so keep yourself in shape.

2) Make sure the trade you apply for, and accept, is the trade you want to do. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting into to because it is not easy to switch trades once you have signed the dotted line. Think down the road 10 years and wonder if you want to that lifestyle. 

3) RMC is not easy. If you do not have good study habits or do not know how to study begin now even if you are making 80s - 90s in every course you are in. Learn how to study people.

That is all I can think of now. Any questions feel free to PM.

-Azm.

amcanucks1 said:
Hey LOLslamball. I am applying for pilot this year through ROTP. I have my interview coming up on November 10. How far are you into the process? And any rough idea on how many seats for pilot this year?

By the way, I applied through CFRC Vancouver.

Please do throw my way any advice you guys have for the interview. It will be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

Good Luck to you all.

I am waiting for a call for my interview, my "application report card" is updated somewhere on this thread (page 6 I think) if you want to know the exact dates.  I had to redo my blood glucose test and it will be two weeks today of sending it in. 
No idea about pilot seats, sorry.  Also through CFRC Vancouver, they've been great so far.
Which university are you hoping to get in to?  I am already at SFU so if I get in I'll stay there. (so I was told)

Azeem said:
Hello 2012 applicants! I successful have been selected for ROTP last year and I am now at RMC Kingston. I'm sure this has been said many times, but I want to give you applicants a few words of advice.

1) The most important advice I can give you is begin training now. You have a little under a year to get yourself into shape. You should be able to do at least 25 proper push ups, hold the plank position for at least 2 minutes, do 35 proper sit ups in a minute, and run like hell. The better shape you are in coming to RMC, the easier your life will be. If you do not pass the RMC PPT test, you will have to wake up at 0530 every morning to go to physical training. This applies for the CivU people as well. You have to do the CF expres test when you have your indoc period, and in BMOQ so keep yourself in shape.

2) Make sure the trade you apply for, and accept, is the trade you want to do. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting into to because it is not easy to switch trades once you have signed the dotted line. Think down the road 10 years and wonder if you want to that lifestyle. 

3) RMC is not easy. If you do not have good study habits or do not know how to study begin now even if you are making 80s - 90s in every course you are in. Learn how to study people.

That is all I can think of now. Any questions feel free to PM.

-Azm.

Thanks for the help! :)

LOLslamball said:
I am waiting for a call for my interview, my "application report card" is updated somewhere on this thread (page 6 I think) if you want to know the exact dates.  I had to redo my blood glucose test and it will be two weeks today of sending it in. 
No idea about pilot seats, sorry.  Also through CFRC Vancouver, they've been great so far.
Which university are you hoping to get in to?  I am already at SFU so if I get in I'll stay there. (so I was told)

Hey, I am in SFU as well. Although, I put RMC Kingston as my first choice. Which faculty are you in by the way? And are you in Surrey or Burnaby? Maybe I'll see you there.

amcanucks1 said:
Hey, I am in SFU as well. Although, I put RMC Kingston as my first choice. Which faculty are you in by the way? And are you in Surrey or Burnaby? Maybe I'll see you there.
I'm in second year going to major in history and minor in psychology. I'm volunteering in a psyc lab so if you take any psyc classes and have to do studies I probably will see you. I'm at burnaby. What about you?

Did the recruiters say anything about your uni choice? Like I said I tried to switch mine to yes for RMC and the recruiter wouldn't let me because they wouldn't transfer me anyways.

Just finished my medical. Went over my history and checklists which took about an hour. Did a vision test, colour blind, height, weight, waist line, hearing test and blood pressure. After that I had to get changed into shorts and only in shorts only listened to heart, lungs and my abdoman. They tested the joints in my hip, knee, ankles and toes as well as the strength of each (by fighting against his arms pushing/pulling). Two tests I had trouble with was squatting as low as possible with heels on the ground and shuffle towards him. That and eyes closed, arms out in front and balencing on one leg, just took a few tries for balence. No urine test, I assume because I've only been high twice in 13 years.

In all it took about two hours and I have to get my eyes tested (out of my own pocket), see my physio doc (knee) and get my family doc to take my blood pressure and sign paperwork regarding it. The CFRC doc tested my blood pressure six different times and even let me lay down and relax for ten minutes to try and get it lower. He felt bad as I'm fit, 5'8" and 140lbs so I'm not the typical high blood pressure candidate.

I did get three calls from him to book my appointment but I was away and when I got back he was away. I apologized and he accepted and told him I'm not avoiding the CFRC and he told me some people do after applying. So if you're late or hard to reach apologize as they could call someone else. Also be honest answering their questions. Not only is it illegal to lie, he is concerned with YOUR health, not the system. Great doc, very professional but still able to chat and laugh.

Interview tomorrow morning, I know my stuff but want to do my best to rank higher than you :)

Recruiting Center: CFRC London
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer (ROTP)
Trade Choice 1: Infantry Officer
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: September 24th, 2011
First Contact: September 28th, 2011
Aptitude: October 4th, 2011
Medical: November 2nd, 2011 
Interview completed: (Scheduled) November 3rd, 2011
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

forcerecon85 said:
Just finished my medical. Went over my history and checklists which took about an hour. Did a vision test, colour blind, height, weight, waist line, hearing test and blood pressure. After that I had to get changed into shorts and only in shorts only listened to heart, lungs and my abdoman. They tested the joints in my hip, knee, ankles and toes as well as the strength of each (by fighting against his arms pushing/pulling). Two tests I had trouble with was squatting as low as possible with heels on the ground and shuffle towards him. That and eyes closed, arms out in front and balencing on one leg, just took a few tries for balence. No urine test, I assume because I've only been high twice in 13 years.

In all it took about two hours and I have to get my eyes tested (out of my own pocket), see my physio doc (knee) and get my family doc to take my blood pressure and sign paperwork regarding it. The CFRC doc tested my blood pressure six different times and even let me lay down and relax for ten minutes to try and get it lower. He felt bad as I'm fit, 5'8" and 140lbs so I'm not the typical high blood pressure candidate.

Awesome forcerecon, good luck on the interview.

The urine test isn't a drug test, it tests for something else, the form you take to your doctor tells your doctor to refer you for a blood and urine test. (that's how it worked for me anyways and none of them were for drugs).

I was given a sheet of paper to take to the eye doctors that let them bill the CFRC (I think, I haven't received a bill yet).

Good luck with the blood pressure, they'll do everything to help you pass.

Hey, I am currently in the process and I thought I would introduce myself. How many people are college students applying to the ROTP Program ?, on a scale of one to ten how is the CFAT ?

Recruiting Center: CFRC Ottawa
Trade Choice 1: Intelligence Officer
Trade Choice 2: Infantry Officer
Trade Choice 3: Military Police Officer
Application Date: Beginning of October
First Contact: Mid October
Aptitude: November 9, 2011
Medical: November 9, 2011 
Interview completed: (Scheduled) November 9, 2011
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

LOLslamball said:
I'm in second year going to major in history and minor in psychology. I'm volunteering in a psyc lab so if you take any psyc classes and have to do studies I probably will see you. I'm at burnaby. What about you?

Did the recruiters say anything about your uni choice? Like I said I tried to switch mine to yes for RMC and the recruiter wouldn't let me because they wouldn't transfer me anyways.

I am currently in Surrey studying Business. I put down RMC as my first choice but I do remember the recruiter saying they might keep me in SFU as they have problems transfering credits.

hockeyfan19 said:
Hey, I am currently in the process and I thought I would introduce myself. How many people are college students applying to the ROTP Program ?, on a scale of one to ten how is the CFAT ?

Hey Hockeyfan,
It all depends on you, I have never had a problem with doing fast math, so I just studied (to get back in the mindset of doing math quickly) and had no problem, always read lots as a kid so vocab was no problem either.  I found it pretty easy, maybe a 3.

Don't listen to those who say, "its an aptitude test, you can't study for it." They're wrong. I graduated high school in '06 and haven't done much math since then, there is no way I would have been able to do a question a minute without preparing, heck I hardly remembered how to do long division.

My two cents is to not only be fast with arithmetic, but to a lot of practice problems so that you can instantly understand what they are asking you and how to solve it. If you prepare yourself it is easy.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

amcanucks1 said:
I am currently in Surrey studying Business. I put down RMC as my first choice but I do remember the recruiter saying they might keep me in SFU as they have problems transfering credits.

Ah, good to know we're getting the same information.  What year/semester are you in? I had a class in Surrey last spring semester, nice campus, right by the skytrain too.

LOLslamball said:
Ah, good to know we're getting the same information.  What year/semester are you in? I had a class in Surrey last spring semester, nice campus, right by the skytrain too.

This is my first year, first semester at SFU. It's an awesome campus. If you look closely (in fact, it's quite obvious) the campus looks like a boat. I heard the architect who designed it was obsessed with boats. I have never been to the Burnaby campus but I am thinking about taking a course there next semester.

Are you in the SFU Aviation Club? If you are, maybe I'll see you at some of the events.

hockeyfan19 said:

Hey hockeyfan19, on a scale of one to ten with ten being the hardest, I would give it a 5. Personally, I found the English section a bit hard. But apart from that, if you prepare well you will be fine. Like LOLslamball mentioned above, do not listen to people who say you cannot study for an aptitude test.

At the least, study arithmetic math problems. I would recommend grabbing an old Math 9 textbook and solving as many questions as you can. This will not only help you review but will also increase your speed which is vital to be successful on the CFAT. Learn to manage your time efficiently and be relaxed during the actual test.

Good luck!

amcanucks1 said:
This is my first year, first semester at SFU. It's an awesome campus. If you look closely (in fact, it's quite obvious) the campus looks like a boat. I heard the architect who designed it was obsessed with boats. I have never been to the Burnaby campus but I am thinking about taking a course there next semester.

Are you in the SFU Aviation Club? If you are, maybe I'll see you at some of the events.

That's actually the first thing I thought when I got upstairs in Surrey haha, I actually have a picture of it on my iPhone.

I have never heard of or seen the aviation club, I just searched and didn't see a website for it, is there a website? and what does the club do?
I probably wouldn't have time for it anyways, but maybe next semester.

Do you have any flying experience?

LOLslamball said:
That's actually the first thing I thought when I got upstairs in Surrey haha, I actually have a picture of it on my iPhone.

I have never heard of or seen the aviation club, I just searched and didn't see a website for it, is there a website? and what does the club do?
I probably wouldn't have time for it anyways, but maybe next semester.

Do you have any flying experience?

There isn't a website yet but we are going to have one soon I believe. The club does fundraisers, social events and above all, fly. Occasionally that is. I'll PM you the specifics later.

I do have flying experience. I am finished my flight test but have to get the written out of the way. What about you? Any flying experience?

Interview and medical this Thursday. Been giving myself little interviews everyday and learning the in's and out's of the Signals Officer trade. I'd like to say that I feel confident, but in doing so I know that I cannot predict what the interview will consist of. So the plan is to go in with an open mind, a firm vision of what I want to do, who I am and what the CF can do for me :).

How are you all making out with your personal progress so far?

Good luck scriptox!
Got my call today, interview booked for next Tuesday.  I'm starting to nail down all of the specifics and hope to book a mock interview session at SFU tomorrow.

Yay, interview and medical done.

Story time?

So first part of the day at 0900 was the medical. Pretty straightforward, nothing to worry about. Not sure if I can discuss the mechanics of the medical but it's just typical things to see if you are indeed medically suitable for employment. That pretty much ended at 1000 so I had half an hour to better prepare myself. You know, the usual, fixing the tie, fixing the hair, things like that haha. At about 10 minutes before my interview I met my MCC (Military Career Counsellor) who was going to conduct the interview. To say the least, very, very cool guy. I could easily tell he was trying to lighten up my mood because he was cracking jokes here and there. So, interview finally comes around, and surprise, surprise, (I swear this kind of thing always happens to me...) instead of being interviewed by one MCC, I was interviewed by two. Not sure if that is how CFRC's are conducting interviews now, but I always thought it was the conventional one MCC.

So the interview goes on, questions are asked, answers are given. Same dealio with the CFAT where nothing in the interview, such as questions asked, can be revealed. My interview was scheduled for 2 hours; 1030 - 1230. Interview ended at around 1310. I think it was because we took a little 10 minute break in the interview so the Officers could conference. After coming back in they had another butt load of questions for me.

Oh man, funny times during the interview. Since this all was being conducted at around lunch time, my stomach wasn't being so nice. Some low grumbles here, and sometimes a real freaking loud grumble there. But the real funny part was when my and the MCC's stomachs were grumbling back and forth. Mine would make a noise, I'd say "excuse me", the MCC's would make a noise, he'd say "pardon me", and the other MCC sitting there was just trying not to laugh haha.

Overall the day went pretty well, I was told I was deemed eligible, suitable, and above average in competitiveness. First MCC also mentioned that my competitiveness will rise once I bring in my mid-terms in, since I explained to them that my grades will be in the low 90s to mid 90s.

Sooooo that's pretty much it hahaha

Recruiting Center: CFRC Hamilton
Trade Choice 1: Signals Officer
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: September 20, 2011
First Contact: October 4, 2011
Aptitude: October 27, 2011
Medical: November 10, 2011 
Interview completed: November 10, 2011