• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking user review of Wheelers Patrol Sling...

Arctic Acorn

Reaction score
I recently won a $25 dollar gift certificate to Wheelers in a contest. Theres nothing there I really need (Santa was nice this year..) but I'm thinking their Patrol sling looks nice (nicer than the one I had in Bosnia, at any rate). I've looked in the archives and folks have mentioned it, but no specific comments on if it is a decent piece of kit or not...

Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth getting? If it is a piece of garbage I won't bother...

I realise there are much better ones on the market (for example Specter looks like they have a great one that has been discussed here before) but I don't have the budget and I'm just looking to spend my certificate on something worthwhile.

Any user reviews?

Cheers,

:dontpanic:

Did you win it or was it that one where you have to spend $150 first.

Need a patrol sling?  Blue Force Gear! The only way to go.

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=oneshot&Category_Code=SL

Hm,

Well, that's what happens when I take six hours to get around to replying... My recommendation was going to be a BFG sling as well. 
The 3 point sling design (the one you are looking at) is pretty crappy for most standard army guy stuff, in my opinion.  Specifically, the Wheeler's design is a poorly made version of an existing poorly designed sling (the issue patrol sling).  Why on earth add an unnecessary strap across the front of you vest, restricting access to pouches and getting hung up on them?  And any sling that relies on a SR buckle, lift-the-dot snap or other such device to get your weapon into the firing position is a disaster waiting to happen.  Fine muscle skills are not something that's at a premium if you're getting into a fight.  Yes, you can rig it / wear it so that's not necessary, but why compromise when it's so easily avoided? 
Honestly, most of CP's stuff is by far not the best out there - the fact that they're selling it should ring a warning bell.  It's good kit, don't get me wrong, but there's far, far better stuff available at the same price range.  Wheeler's tends to suffer from a bad case of "it was good idea ten years ago".
Two point sling is the way to go (just my personal pref, based on lots of shooting and lots of playing with slings), slung so the sling runs over the right shoulder, across the back and around to the muzzle end on your low left side.  No fuss, lots of support, secure, and no need to mess with any snaps to bring it to a firing position.  Plus it's easily rotated with one hand around behind you if you need it totally out of the way.

The BFG sling lets you run a 1, 2 or 3 point sling depending on how you rig it, al in the same sling.  It's the perfect army guy sling, and cheap at the price.

So sorry that doesn't answer your question directly - the direct answer is yes they are junk, and this is the best thing I think they have for around $25 http://www.cpgear.com/detail.aspx?ID=325

Blue Force Gear SOC-C sling - BIG THUMBS UP

I've used them on C8's, M4's, AK-47's, AKSU-74's, CZ-58's and more.

My opinion of Wheelers gear is: they make a nice FMP cover...

I got one of those a few years ago for a gift; I have had nothing but problems with it (stopped using it shortly after).when I used it on ex, the nylon cord that attaches it to the rifle snapped. The 2" webbing is too big to use with the TV, and it is not built to last. You are better off buying some of the webbing a couple of fast-ex clips and ladder locks and make your own sling that goes from the butt to your vest.

Just my 2 cents

Something to attach directly to your vest.

hhhmmm.....

BFG-vest-strap.jpg

avalible with the hook, MOLLE attachment or releasable and single or double shoulder attachments, with one of these...

loopon.jpg

Buy some FMP covers with your gift certificate from wheelers, and return them to the local CANEX for $$$ - Pretty much everything from CP and Wheeler's is garbage, made poorly, and of low quality materials.

If you need gear, go here -

http://www.dropzonetactical.com/

the website sucks, but his client list speaks for itself.

Or, you could buy one of these!

http://www.cpgear.com/detail.aspx?ID=254

I could'nt find their super gay CADPAT knockoff lunch bag  ::)

What about the Rifle Scope Cover Set?  ;D

http://www.cpgear.com/detail.aspx?ID=258

</sarcasm>

What crackhead thought up that lunchbag, anyway? I suppose snowboarders might buy them; apparnetly digi camo is cool now, or so it seemed at the hill today...

My personal favourite was their cot bag - held your C7, a Powerade and a Maxim at the ready.  Discontinued now I think - why?  It was the most hi speed bit of tactical gear I've seen in ages.

LOL, I remember looking at that. They've definitely got someone crazy working in product development. One of those things which, while a *neat* idea, isn't necessarily a *good* idea...

I'm still a fan of their buttstock magazine pouch though... I like having that second mag so handy, or having a palce for my mag when the weapon's unloaded...

KevinB said:
Blue Force Gear SOC-C sling - BIG THUMBS UP

I've used them on C8's, M4's, AK-47's, AKSU-74's, CZ-58's and more.

My opinion of Wheelers gear is: they make a nice FMP cover...

+1

Might be a bit late in replying but no, don't get the sling.  Unless you've got a C8 with a sidemount swivel like in the picture, it doesn't really work on the C7.  I just got one from the PPCLI kitshop, haven't actually 'received' it yet but will test it out on my civy AR-15.

Back