• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

201091418532423734_20.jpeg

p15n1frfrt981.jpg

57527775-0-image-a-74_1651941974414.jpg

View attachment 74429

For enough money, you can get anyone to do anything 😉

Private Civilians fighting wars isn't an anomaly, it was actually the norm up until about 250-300 years ago. Large standing Armies controlled by Nation States is a relatively new concept.
Honestly it only really took a back foot in the West when it became socially inappropriate to fight for Apartheid Regimes in Africa...
Working in Afghanistan and Iraq as a Security Contractor - one met all sorts of folks who had been mercenaries in Africa fighting actual wars, as well as folks who did Security at Diamond Mines etc.

Kind of ish. As a parent of two younger adults living at home I can attest that we are having to look at how we do things.

One of the kids is an accredited RN graduate, fully paid up, but can't get on the hiring ladder. The market is looking for experienced part time nurses. The traditional employers are not taking on full time employees. They are hiring contract nurses. And the market is swamped with ex-full timers with tons of experience happy to take high paying, short time contracts that offer them mobility. That leaves handing out pills and changing bandages in old folks homes for the youngsters. She is making ends meet like every other youngster. Starbucks.

The other is a Civil Engineer Technician that went back to school to get his P Eng Ring and then decided that GIS was more his speed. So he is taking courses and hoping for a long term gig he can base a future on.

It ain't the kids. It's the economy. A lot of people are struggling with this gig economy - working contract to contract and constantly having to re-invent themselves to meet the needs of the market, writing resumes is the least of it.

If you don't know where your next paycheck is coming from it gets real difficult to be optimistic about the future. And taking out a mortgage is an expression of optimism. So is getting married and having kids.
Not everyone staying at home is being lazy, but not everyone staying at home is a RN either.

Nursing is in such a bad state from what I understand that they essentially need to blow-up the entire system and rebuild it in a way that makes sense.

Honestly it only really took a back foot in the West when it became socially inappropriate to fight for Apartheid Regimes in Africa...
Working in Afghanistan and Iraq as a Security Contractor - one met all sorts of folks who had been mercenaries in Africa fighting actual wars, as well as folks who did Security at Diamond Mines etc.
I know of a couple of retired Canucks who cut their teeth fighting in a number of bush wars in Africa in the 90s.

One of them is the Father of one of my mates I grew up with. Spent time in Rwanda and when the opportunity to go private came up, he jumped at the chance. Besides they were paying waaaayyy more than his meagre CAF WO's salary back then.

His son was in the Reserves with me and he took a year off school to go work with his father in Africa to "see if he really wanted to do soldiering full time". Came home with a bucket full of money, paid for his schooling, bought a car with cash.

Serves in the Reg Force now 😉

The money isn't as good now as it was then, the market is oversaturated.

I know of a couple of retired Canucks who cut their teeth fighting in a number of bush wars in Africa in the 90s.
Me too - small world ;)
There is still good money to be had, but the early GWOT days where the heyday of the overpaid security contractor.
You can still find $750+ a day gigs in Security, but you need a good resume, or there are still some that you need to have zero moral compass.

I know people who live off of government subsidies and handouts of several types. No real career or employment, just a little under-the-table work here and there, and mostly free money. They aren't living extravagantly but their lazy asses can definitely get by, and they have a lot of free time.
I know a few of these types too. We’re around the same age, and the few I know that do the welfare/handout lifestyle were raised that way by their parents.

I know 2 young ladies, both late 20’s. Neither of them are handicapped or disabled, and both are professional looking, articulate, and can do anything just as well as the rest of us…

…Both of them are on AISH. Why? Their parents put them on it from a young age, and because AISH is for life, they still get over $1000 a month from the province of Alberta.

Undrr fairly recent guidelines issued from the province, if someone gets addicted to ‘down’ (smoking heroine) they automatically qualify for AISH. 😕🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

One of them is the Father of one of my mates I grew up with. Spent time in Rwanda and when the opportunity to go private came up, he jumped at the chance. Besides they were paying waaaayyy more than his meagre CAF WO's salary back then.

His son was in the Reserves with me and he took a year off school to go work with his father in Africa to "see if he really wanted to do soldiering full time". Came home with a bucket full of money, paid for his schooling, bought a car with cash.

Serves in the Reg Force now 😉

There were quite a few back in the 80's from the Rhodesian and South African Bush wars as well.

I can see where a percentage of older workers who had reached retirement age and didn't need to work but stayed in the workforce for reasons other than a paycheck might be hanging back from risking their health, but there must be a glut of younger folks who need the money who also seem to be staying away. How do they manage to make ends meet without a job? Not everyone can succeed as an internet influencer.

:unsure:
We’ve known this was coming for decades and it’s only just begun. Here’s a chart showing the number of people in Australia turning 65 because I’m too lazy to find one for Canada.

Attachments

• A817291E-882B-4A9A-B0F6-C02863C048BB.png
    A817291E-882B-4A9A-B0F6-C02863C048BB.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 3
Bit of a sidebar, but can anyone point me to where I can find the recruiting numbers for any given year?

I've seen recruiting numbers on annual CM briefs, but not sure what the source document is. Curious what the annual intake is at a CAF level.

The 'Retired Big Cod' has spoken ;)

I'm glad he called them out. The 10% short is crazy; I haven't seen too many trades that are over 80%, and a number at 70% (and falling). Maybe we have a huge swath of unqualified people somewhere, but huge shortages of experienced people has been the norm for a while, and people are getting their PO2s in the same time as they would have gotten PLQ even 10 years ago, so they just don't have the time in rank turning wrenches . That's all cumulative, and means that each succeeding generation has less experience.

I'm glad he called them out. The 10% short is crazy; I haven't seen too many trades that are over 80%, and a number at 70% (and falling). Maybe we have a huge swath of unqualified people somewhere, but huge shortages of experienced people has been the norm for a while, and people are getting their PO2s in the same time as they would have gotten PLQ even 10 years ago, so they just don't have the time in rank turning wrenches . That's all cumulative, and means that each succeeding generation has less experience.
I know that my trade is leaving multiple Sgt/PO2 and MCpl/MS billets open for that reason. We are also not filling at least one WO/PO 1 and one MWO/CPO 2 billet, not because the people aren't ready at that level, but we need them at their current rank.

The best thing that could have happened to me was spending 8 years as a Sgt. My promotion to WO was the first time I actually felt confident I was ready for my new rank/position.

For enough money, you can get anyone to do anything 😉

Private Civilians fighting wars isn't an anomaly, it was actually the norm up until about 250-300 years ago. Large standing Armies controlled by Nation States is a relatively new concept.
Considered in the context of that discussion, civilianizing skills/trades/professions necessary to support overseas operations have the potential to run up against all sorts of occupational health and safety concerns and terms of employment intervention. I suppose there will always be people available as contractors, mercenaries, legionnaires, etc. for the pointy end of the stick stuff that probably pays relatively well. I would imagine less so for the person you need to fix the truck.

As well, it's one thing with contractors where the government or agency that hires them enjoys a fair degree of distance or detachment; not so much when the people are employees. Would the Government of Canada be willing to be constantly beholden to contractors? That would seem to imply that contract managers, compliance audits, etc. would have to be deployed as well.

Other organizations are having similar challenges keeping and finding people, but they don't have to follow the same (strict, outdated) rules as the CAF:

Employers look for new ways to recruit as aging workers contribute to ongoing labour shortage​

Known for attracting older workers on the retail side, Lee Valley had seen a wave of retirements during COVID-19. But with demand up for its products as people embraced hobbies like gardening and woodworking during the pandemic, president and COO Jason Tasse initially resorted to hiring members of a local lacrosse team he coaches to fill orders.

As restrictions lifted, the company decided on a long-term strategy. They would pay more, offer better benefits, increase flexibility around shifts and invest in training those whose skills were not yet developed in the areas required.

"We abandoned most traditional hiring practices and protocols," said Tasse. In the past, they would tell prospective employees what kind of schedule to expect, along with requiring specific skills and references. Now, Tasse said, "all of that was out the window."

Similar conversations are happening at organizations across Canada, according to Bank of Montreal senior economist Robert Kavcic, with companies in many sectors reworking their hiring practices as they face high post-lockdown demand for services and a tight labour market.

I have noticed that at Lee Valley. The staff used to skew older and male - I always assumed they were either ex-trades or at least knowledgeable hobbyists. I've seen many more young female staff. I don't think I've ever seen a grumpy Lee Valley employee.

Employers need to get back to being willing to train new hires. The entire world can't continue expect everybody that walks through the door comes packaged with work experience. I remember when Home Depot first broke into Canada. A lot of their floor staff were either ex-trades or at least knowledgeable in their department. I hardly see any of that anymore. I've overheard comments and advice from staff that was downright dangerous.
I'm a loafer by nature, so I bailed out when my pension maxed out.

But, if I was inclined, which I am not, to take a post-retirement job, I would go with this one.

I drove buses around the city in my pre-retirement job, so this would sort of be like a "busman's holiday". :)
I stayed a year over first opportunity (age+service+80) (our pension doesn't max out). Spare time was a little limited since we had previously bought a century farm for our horses, and did nothing but work on that for the first year.

Sometimes it's an opportunity to do something you enjoy, or want to do just for the heck of it. I had two post-retirement gigs. The first was driving for a shuttle service to Pearson airport. The money was 'ok' (tips could be good) but it was fairly mindless. I could pick my own days and enjoy driving so it was a decent fit. The other was an investigator for a government agency. The money was much better and I got to exercise some things I used to do but I didn't have to care about all the internal BS - just pick up my files and do my thing.

In terms of the SIP, numbers for the Army are available on the CA HQ ACIMS page in the briefs at the last Army Council.
Overall interesting breakdown between authorized intake, expected actual intake and expected releases over the next year.

Just sat through yet another brief on this shit recently. Honestly it's just the same old crap.
  • There are big challenges you're facing and you're going to have to sacrifice more than ever.
  • The chain of command is listening. They're coming up with plans to fix everything. We can't tell you what those plans are, but they're listening to you.
  • You're mentoring tomorrows leaders. They're looking to you to lead them and mentor them.
  • "Show what right looks like"
  • This is a process
  • yadda yadda - make sure you do the newest training about respect, everyone read Trusted to Serve.

I'm not sure where I read it but I recall seeing something about new selection boards for promotion will have 1x board member who is a member of the LGBTQT2S+ community or something that seemed to indicate be a minority (can't recall the phrase). Sure, that's cool. We took away saying he and she on PERs to use gender neutral language. It was explained that this was to essentially avoid someone seeing someone was a female and treating them unfairly. Okay, so for the new PACE system are we going to specifically identify that someone is LGBTQT2S+ or a minority at the selection boards? I don't really see how having a 1x sitting board member from these communities will effect change unless members have an intersectionality score.

Just sat through yet another brief on this shit recently. Honestly it's just the same old crap.
  • There are big challenges you're facing and you're going to have to sacrifice more than ever.
  • The chain of command is listening. They're coming up with plans to fix everything. We can't tell you what those plans are, but they're listening to you.
  • You're mentoring tomorrows leaders. They're looking to you to lead them and mentor them.
  • This is a process
  • yadda yadda - make sure you do the newest training about respect, everyone read Trusted to Serve.

I'm not sure where I read it but I recall seeing something about new selection boards for promotion will have 1x board member who is a member of the LGBTQT2S+ community or something that seemed to indicate be a minority (can't recall the phrase). Sure, that's cool. We took away saying he and she on PERs to use gender neutral language. It was explained that this was to essentially avoid someone seeing someone was a female and treating them unfairly. Okay, so for the new PACE system are we going to specifically identify that someone is LGBTQT2S+ or a minority at the selection boards? I don't really see how having a 1x sitting board member from these communities will effect change unless members have an intersectionality score.
I couldn't bear selling my soul for that steaming pile of dog poo.

Jessica Chastain Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• This is a process

Oh FFS....

1666663514313.png

Back