• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

So got my pay statement, didn't see the CFHD so went to the pay office. It was explained that the CFHD will not show as a separate entry on the pay statement like PLD did, instead it is rolled into the over all pay amount. If you want to see your CFHD amount you will have to see your HRA clerk to look it up in CCPS where it does show as an allowance. They did look up my account to show me and presto - the CFHD was not there so now they have to fix that for end month. Family not happy right now as this month it appears so far we are getting $400 less. and the CFHD will not make that up. sigh, why am I not surprised that this is a farce.

My understanding is that It's part of the overall budget and could be converted but as we are always way under spending I don't see the gods in Ottawa going through that effort . Only time I have seen converting pay over was with a reserve unit's pay for a special expenditure and that had to go to Ottawa (think CA but not sure) for approval.
Reg F pay is corporately managed. So decisions would be made by the DM based on recommendations arising out of IRMC.

Normally there would be estimates made in advance of the FY, and surplus / deficit issues would be identified then. So, in the event of a surplus, ADM Fin could make the necessary arrangements for surplus to be repurposed and then allocated as in year funding for a variety of institutional pressures.

Just because it isn't visible at the unit level does not mean it is not done.

There has to be a COA 3 that isn’t either completely personality-based (like now) or automated “number 12345 gets posted to position 56789 because they happen to come through at this time”.

People hate being treated like a number, but then people also hate knowing that (some) people aren’t being treated like numbers.
Also bear in mind that every occupation is different, despite the CAF having a standard "system".

My CM cuts messages, but the SOA does the posting plot. So the person we have our chat with once a year has nothing to do with our postings, apart from cutting the message. The SOA has other responsibilities, so we have to push our posting preferences through our CoC, and hope that they don't decide that our preferences aren't in our best interests...

There is nothing quite like an opaque system with no accountability to ensure that people feel represented when it comes to their postings/career.

Other militaries employ professionals to manage their personnel, and properly train them before they start doing that work.

Heresy in a CAF context, I know. Imagine if all D Mil C was replaced with a sub occ of HRA or gasp civilians to do that work.

Civilian clerks and administrators, under CAF direction, would be cheaper and be trained before starting work, unlike CAF members posted to D Mil C. Or go with an all CAF organization of people trained in personnel management instead of people selected from the occupations.

Civilian clerks and administrators, under CAF direction, would be cheaper and be trained before starting work, unlike CAF members posted to D Mil C. Or go with an all CAF organization of people trained in personnel management instead of people selected from the occupations.
Years ago when I worked for CFRG there was talk of creating a « recruiter » read NCM HR remuster trade but it never went anywhere.

We don't need a trade of people to do personnel management. We need to select and train individuals at WO/MWO (and whatever ranks the Officers do it) before their postings. If CFLRS can demand every instructor take a course before being allowed to teach, why are we not creating courseware for all prospective CMs to pass before they can take over their jobs? Have it led by civilian university profs for the background of personnel management and then add in CMP/D Mil C for military context/institutional direction.

I just don't see how an HRA sub-occ trying to fill positions for trades they have no idea (and rotate around every couple years) about would be any better than what we currently have. The process being opaque is definitely a problem but that's not solved with civilians or a trade.
I don't trust the Public Service to do much. Keep them away from the CAF 😎
Bingo! You'd see a lot of folks voting with their feet if some public servant, based in Ottawa (or working from home) is telling someone they need to uproot and move their family when that PS is not subject to the same requirement. Something to be said for shared hardship/responsibility (or at least the appearance of it) when it's a uniformed member who's put their time into the CAF.

I just don't see how an HRA sub-occ trying to fill positions for trades they have no idea (and rotate around every couple years) about would be any better than what we currently have. The process being opaque is definitely a problem but that's not solved with civilians or a trade.

Bingo! You'd see a lot of folks voting with their feet if some public servant, based in Ottawa (or working from home) is telling someone they need to uproot and move their family when that PS is not subject to the same requirement. Something to be said for shared hardship/responsibility (or at least the appearance of it) when it's a uniformed member who's put their time into the CAF.
We have people voting with their feet because of in-trade folks sending posting messages. We have folks being posted from one coast to the other because assholes in trade are making braindead decisions. Out of trade folks can push back (whether mi or civ) and call out the assholery.

Or status quo of folks with technical knowledge but no HR management knowledge doing as they are told by the branch mafias that control their own futures.

Just make the posting process more open.

Need a CPO2 in Timbuktu, put that out there. Let people volunteer for the position. And only post like we do now when we can't get a volunteer.

Side note, offer some serious financial benefits for the posting and make them non taxable.

Hey CPO2 Halifax Tar, thanks for volunteering for that job in Timbuktu, here's 10K, tax free, for taking one for the team. It will be in your account as soon as you RFD in you're new location, or we can cut you a cheque when you clear into the pay office, your choice.

*If you get more than one application/volunteer hold a hiring process and compete them.

We have people voting with their feet because of in-trade folks sending posting messages. We have folks being posted from one coast to the other because assholes in trade are making braindead decisions. Out of trade folks can push back (whether mi or civ) and call out the assholery.

You're sure assholes out of trade would make any better decisions?

Case in point - is RCAF career management any better than the Army's because they have an HR occ for officers?

Need a CPO2 in Timbuktu, put that out there. Let people volunteer for the position. And only post like we do now when we can't get a volunteer.

Side note, offer some serious financial benefits for the posting and make them non taxable.

Hey CPO2 Halifax Tar, thanks for volunteering for that job in Timbuktu, here's 10K, tax free, for taking one for the team. It will be in your account as soon as you RFD in you're new location, or we can cut you a cheque when you clear into the pay office, your choice.

*If you get more than one application/volunteer hold a hiring process and compete them.
I always said that incentives and signing bonuses are better to retain than to recruit. Or adjust the Mil factor for mobility and non mobility pers.

I always said that incentives and signing bonuses are better to retain than to recruit. Or adjust the Mil factor for mobility and non mobility pers.

Having sat a few ARes hiring boards now there's something we, the RegF, could learn there when it comes to postings and career management.

Add in some not taxable bonuses for extra hardship like postings and I think it would be an improvement.

The CAF was directed to re-establish the Personnel Administration Branch in the Strong Secure Engaged defence policy, in 2017. We haven’t exactly been quick about putting the old pillars of knowledge back on berets.

Maybe trade and CM specific, but have had pretty good luck actually volunteering for specific jobs I wanted, but YMMV.

Some kind of incentive for the crappy moves or other hard to fill jobs would be great; I lost money on IR, expect to lose more if I do it again, let alone the impact to the business my wife is building. I don't necessarily want to make money, but I don't think I should have to pay out of pocket to not live in a roach infested crack den if I do something like that which saves the CAF a huge chunk of cash.

Maybe trade and CM specific, but have had pretty good luck actually volunteering for specific jobs I wanted, but YMMV.

Some kind of incentive for the crappy moves or other hard to fill jobs would be great; I lost money on IR, expect to lose more if I do it again, let alone the impact to the business my wife is building. I don't necessarily want to make money, but I don't think I should have to pay out of pocket to not live in a roach infested crack den if I do something like that which saves the CAF a huge chunk of cash.

Agreed it may be trade specific. And with no slight meant towards you, we (Purple folks) have a much wider breadth of possibilities for postings than Naval Officers or NCMs.

Agreed it may be trade specific. And with no slight meant towards you, we (Purple folks) have a much wider breadth of possibilities for postings than Naval Officers or NCMs.
That's fair, although our trade mafia is pretty strong, so the ability to reach out and screw someone is pretty strong, and while the possibilities for bad postings are small, they do get dolled out with extreme prejudice at times. The downside about a relatively small trade where everyone knows each other I guess.

Back