• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Or they simply want to become the replacement ‘establishment’ and enjoy those advantages for themselves. There’s no democratic benevolence in Trump’s desire to replace other people with his people.

Or they simply want a shot at the benefits they perceive the "establishment" having.

Voters and politicians are much like butchers, bakers and brewers in that regard.

Not just DC. New York is also outside the wire.
Keith Olbermann had the best take. Next time people are wetting themselves over "election denialism", they can go back to this one and contemplate "judicial denialism" as well.

"The Supreme Court has betrayed democracy. Its members including Jackson, Kagan and Sotomayor have proved themselves inept at reading comprehension. And collectively the "court" has shown itself to be corrupt and illegitimate. It must be dissolved."

I mean, I hear/see statements like this all the time from Republicans (basically something that exemplifies the internal struggle they are having between the current state of the GOP and their, well frankly, conscience).

Funny, but I don't hear/see it from Democrats.

GOP Rep. Ken Buck on retiring from Congress:
“We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say.”

Hard not to at that stage. Question now is will she endorse Trump. I’m pretty sure I know how it would go if the situation were reversed.
Question: If she does, does it force any votes?

In other words, let’s say she endorses him. Her voters (who were not likely to vote for Trump before) don’t necessarily need to vote that way, right? Unless they are so firmly entrenched in the R vote that voting D is out of the question, of course.

Then there’s the random RFK Jr vote…

Hard not to at that stage. Question now is will she endorse Trump. I’m pretty sure I know how it would go if the situation were reversed.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement

Depends if "orderly Republicanism" means keeping obligations, like the one to endorse the eventual nominee, irrespective of how Trump behaves. "We are appalled by Trump and refuse to behave like him, except when it's politically convenient", is just a philosophy of opportunism, not different enough from Trump's opportunism to matter.

Question: If she does, does it force any votes?

In other words, let’s say she endorses him. Her voters (who were not likely to vote for Trump before) don’t necessarily need to vote that way, right? Unless they are so firmly entrenched in the R vote that voting D is out of the question, of course.

Then there’s the random RFK Jr vote…
She doesn't hold enough delegates for it to matter.

This ought to get interesting. What could go wrong?

Hochul deploys 1,000 National Guard troops, police to improve subway safety​

It’s very common in Europe. When I was in Italy in 2016 there were soldiers on every corner. Same with Nice in France (granted they just had that awful truck attack a few months before we went)

No one seems fazed by their presence.

She doesn't hold enough delegates for it to matter.
It isn’t the delegates. It’s the actual voters.

How many take her cue and stay home or vote for Biden. I’m sure some will still vote Trump. But it’s the other side of her support that decides to pack their toys and go home in the general election.

It isn’t the delegates. It’s the actual voters.

How many take her cue and stay home or vote for Biden. I’m sure some will still vote Trump. But it’s the other side of her support that decides to pack their toys and go home in the general election.
Sure, but she can't "force" actual voters. There's no mechanism there except persuasion. It should be so obvious that ordinary voters aren't in any way pledged that the only way I could interpret the other comment was as a reference to delegates.

It’s very common in Europe. When I was in Italy in 2016 there were soldiers on every corner. Same with Nice in France (granted they just had that awful truck attack a few months before we went)

Can only imagine how calm the response in Canada, and on this board, would be if Canada deployed Res F soldiers to help police deal with ordinary crime.

We were in Nice less than a week after the attack, and were in Paris at the time… As you say, quartets of fully kitted up troops all over the place. It became part of the norm.

This ought to get interesting. What could go wrong?

Ugh. Lots.

Can only imagine how calm the response in Canada, and on this board, would be if Canada deployed Res F soldiers to help police deal with ordinary crime.
Europe isn't afraid of armed troops on their streets, centuries of experience ingrained into their DNA.

Yes, I've already noted repeatedly in the past how easily they slide themselves into the chains of totalitarianism. They simply have never been truly free enough for long enough.
They’ve also experienced significant and repeated complex attacks on urban centres, and face a constant threat of more of the same. That’s not something we’ve at all wrapped our heads around here, so it’s apples and oranges.

Back