• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mobile Support Equipment Operator (MSE Op) [Merged]

This has also been covered so many times before, that a simple 'Search' would have uncovered a number of hits.

Milnet.ca Staff

Yes 69 training days

You can some times live in the PMQ's if married or common law, My buddy did the course twice, first time he had to live in the shacks. Second time he was allowed to stay in his pmq with his wife. My other buddy who just did his QL3 stayed in the Q's with his wife and son. No inspection when your in the pmq's.

Both has past time in tho so that might of had something to do with it.

Has anyone here done the MSE op QL3  ??? if so is it any fun or its a hard course ??? :cdn:

pteBill said:
Has anyone here done the MSE op QL3  ??? if so is it any fun or its a hard course ??? :cdn:

It's a blast... why carry the kit.. while the kit carry you? Duh.... Have fun.

I taught it.. NFLD Grinch can vouch for me. That and all the f-up MSE Ops now running around.

pteBill said:
Has anyone here done the MSE op QL3  ???

Nope. Until you came along, everyone went straight to the QL6A.

pteBill said:
if so is it any fun or its a hard course ??? :cdn:

Why does it have to be either fun or hard ? Can it not be both fun and hard ?

CDN Aviator said:
Why does it have to be either fun or hard ? Can it not be both fun and hard ?

Something like our courses CDN Aviator  ;D

I did mine last year and it was a good time. I had a good small group who worked hard, and great Mcpls. It goes by pretty quick. Just know that you have about a 75% chance that your either going to Edmonton or Pet.

Do you mean that for my posting I have 75% chance of going to edmonton or pettawa ??? :cdn:

I call bull... but a field posting is the best place to be while you"re young. I still want Pet and I"m still getting the run around.

I'm  pretty sure that Edmonton garrison in a field Unit. Pretty much the rest of the base is. As for which base is better..

Im not sure how expensive it is to live in Pet but Edmonton is reasonable and things are slowly getting better. Also i am pretty sure the troops get a a living differential or something(more money to work here). Someone  else add to this  ???

pteBill said:
and out of the 2 bases wich one is better? :cdn:

You might want to rephrase your question. As multiple people this question, as you phrased it, and you will get different answers with different reasons attached. I was posted to both and Edmonton is the one i prefered. Other people will say the oposite.

I just got off my course last year and only two people didn't go to Pet or Edmonton. Halifax and Dundurn were the two others. 1st and 2nd Service Battalions are in Pet and Edmonton both in bad need of bodies.

The day we talked about postings my Mcpl told us "you can pick any place you want but I tell you were your going, Pet or Edmonton. 

On which one is better depends on what your lifestyle and hobbies are, Edmonton is a big city, lots of night life. Pet is small lots of out door shit to do. Ottawa is under an hour away from Pet. Housing is bad Edmonton, but like Derek said is getting better. If I had to pick I'd go with Edmonton.

rtyman said:
I just got off my course last year and only two people didn't go to Pet or Edmonton. Halifax and Dundurn were the two others. 1st and 2nd Service Battalions are in Pet and Edmonton both in bad need of bodies.

And the one that got Halifax.. I know.. and should be posted to the field. I believe in being in the field first.. then a nice garrison posting. I don't like FNG's..  ;D

With Petawawa and Edmonton needing so many people {I refuse to use the term "bodies"} the Air force is in complete lack of hands right now.  Younger poeple go to the field so that the experience and "older" guys get to go to the static bases and AF wings.I did six years in Pet and it wasn't too too bad, it's getting alot better with expansion in town and Pembroke.  Hey, they got TWO Timmies now.  It's got it's own training area which is great for EX's, you don't need to drive two hours to Wainwrong.  As far as "doing things" is concerned, you're only as bored as you want to be.  I'll be heading up to Pet this weekend to see some friends, should be a good go.
QL3 courses must be getting better or the troopies are getting maturer.  It was 10 weeks of boredom for me in '85, I was Res and had a driver's licence.  The course then was geared towards the non-driver, don't know what it's like these days.  Couple of new guys here had T/T before, which helps in the experience department in SPV. Your 3's is just to get you started, your main experience and quals comes form your base and you 4's.  Hope this all helps.
BYTD 

Question for anyone in the know regarding MSE Op QL3. My wife is currently on basic training and has passed onto week 2. Assuming she doesnt get injured she should be graduating May 29th. I am wondering when the next MSE Op courses are slated. She told that rumour was the next course was starting in May (before she graduates), and the next one after that starts 8 months later. Im not usually one for rumours, and would tell to her to wait and find out; but Im currently on work up training, and will be deploying to Suffield/Wainwright for 2 months, then Sept for Afghanistan. It would be nice to know sooner than later, so we can start planning. IE, Summer leave, OJT posting to Pet as we have a house here, etc. Thanks in advance.

If you got the DIN.. the CFSAL site should have the course dates in excel format for you to download. I havn't been on that site in a few years now. Things may of changed. And I havn't been teaching the QL3 some time so I"m really no help there.

I never get access to the Din... We always have "Work" today... And have no idea what CFSAL is... But ill keep it in mind if I do get a chance to look it up.

Thanks

Here you go... next scheduled starts are:

6 May 09 (Franco)
10 Jun 09
22 Jul 09
12 Aug 09
17 Sep 09 (Franco)
23 Oct 09 (Franco)

I hope that is of some help.

Cheers,

MC

Back