• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Missing Titanic Sub

This from the "well, that quote didn't age well" files ...

I think the space tourism is regulated through the FAA
Likely only the launches from US soil or territorial waters. The one small advantage of space exploration is they start from someone's sovereign territory/waters (somebody launches from French Polynesia). I'm not sure anybody launches from a platform on the high seas.

I hope a real submariner weighs in but I think with every dive the hull is compressed then when surfacing it expands. This has got to cause metal fatigue on a proper submarine. Can the same be said of carbon fiber? As the guy in the video said carbon fiber shatters.

... I'm not sure anybody launches from a platform on the high seas.
If it makes it cheaper & easier to skirt rules, if it ain't happening, wait for it.

Looks like news is breaking that a debris field has been found…
Initial reports ....

I hope a real submariner weighs in but I think with every dive the hull is compressed then when surfacing it expands. This has got to cause metal fatigue on a proper submarine. Can the same be said of carbon fiber? As the guy in the video said carbon fiber shatters.

At those kinds of depths the stress on the structure must be intense.

5500 psi YIKES. At that pressure t I doubt there's even such a thing as a leak, just an instantaneous collapse the moment the pressure vessel isnt 100% solid. If they experienced that kind of event then it's likely the crew never even knew something went wrong.

I cannot get over the number of videos and pages dedicated to build your own sub program.

Guess the video thru a window at 12 000 plus feet is worth the risk?
not for me

This is my 'not surprised face'.
Mine as well
Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

I was hoping I was going to get to make this comment in a much happier light, but at this point it is starting to look like their won't be a Matt Damon movie made out of this.

I cannot get over the number of videos and pages dedicated to build your own sub program.

Guess the video thru a window at 12 000 plus feet is worth the risk?
not for me
The window was only one of the major issues that build had.

Honestly I’m legit surprised the designer hadn’t died years ago with his rather haphazard build styles.

Just running some basic stress analysis of the tube shows some very specific issues even before that pressure level.

I’m no sub designer, but I can think of several hundred improved design choices that I’d have used if someone had tasked me to build one. #1 would have been a detailed Q&A with an actual Sub design expert and and experience Submariner to get key features determined before a design was settled on.

I’m legitimately floored that there was no underlying skeleton to the Carbon Fibre tube - to both provide structural stability for the wrap - but also so one didn’t glue the front and rear caps to the tube.

Anyway can’t say I’m shocked this ended up badly.

The part that gets me is that Paul-Henry Nargeolet is an expert diver and deep-sea explorer who has made something like 30 previous trips to the Titanic wreckage and must have known that there problems with the Titan sub
I was hoping I was going to get to make this comment in a much happier light, but at this point it is starting to look like their won't be a Matt Damon movie made out of this.
Don't worry, some ghoul somewhere will try.

Back