• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Jesus, how are your ankles after that massive leap to conclusions?

Owning rental properties is not a crime against humanity.... I just find it a massive conflict of interest when those actively in positions of power that are "grappling with the housing crisis" in Canada would be adversely affected if certain solutions to it were put in place (rent controls, mortgage interest caps, etc.).

Hard to say there aren't any sacred cows when you're a cattle farmer...
Sorry- maybe I should not have quoted you.

My point stands- is the implication of being landlord in Canada now considered evil?

I kind of wondering what should be the only “proper“ source of income for a prospective MP? Should they be prohibited from owning stocks and bonds, too?

My position is that I am entirely unconcerned what legal means of income generation MPs had/have. If they are found to be in legitimate conflict of interest- hammer them. Otherwise, this is stupid and smacks of the usual Canadian hobby of envy…

My point stands- is the implication of being landlord in Canada now considered evil?

I kind of wondering what should be the only “proper“ source of income for a prospective MP? Should they be prohibited from owning stocks and bonds, too?

My position is that I am entirely unconcerned what legal means of income generation MPs had/have. If they are found to be in legitimate conflict of interest- hammer them. Otherwise, this is stupid and smacks of the usual Canadian hobby of envy…
I agree with your argument. We should wait until either a prospective solution is presented and voted down or until it is obvious that no action will be taken. But how will you discriminate between inaction and irrelevancy? It has been suggested that our immigration and student visa policies have had a direct influence on the availability and thus the price of housing: particularly rental. So if Trudeau and co. don't take steps to curtail immigration does that mean they are in conflict? Other arguments could be made on other issues as well. It is a very slippery road to follow

In truth I think it is probably fair to say that a plurality if not a majority of Canadian politicians always have been developers and realtors. Their wealth was always predicated on their holdings.

Stanley Park was created to dry up land in Vancouver to force the value of the rest of the land to rise. And then there were the railways.

There is nothing evil about holding property, real or otherwise. Now if only everybody had a right to own property.... The advantages of holding property would be universal.

Ack. No harm no foul.
Depends on which side of the line you fall on. Most people who are stuck renting at exorbitant rates from folks who provide the bear minimum or worse... yep.

Mom and Pop landlords? Not so much.

Major property corporations that gouge renters...yep.

If they are setting financial policy that can impact those stocks and bond growing exponentially? Maybe. I view it the same as insider trading, but that's just me.

My position is that I am entirely unconcerned what legal means of income generation MPs had/have. If they are found to be in legitimate conflict of interest- hammer them. Otherwise, this is stupid.
When does that conflict start and is it mainly the impact of the decisions or the possibility of avoiding certain options off the hop?

If you ignore certain COAs based on your own personal interests, you're situating the estimate.

I agree with your argument. We should wait until either a prospective solution is presented and voted down or until it is obvious that no action will be taken. But how will you discriminate between inaction and irrelevancy? It has been suggested that our immigration and student visa policies have had a direct influence on the availability and thus the price of housing: particularly rental. So if Trudeau and co. don't take steps to curtail immigration does that mean they are in conflict? Other arguments could be made on other issues as well. It is a very slippery road to follow

The whole point of parliamentarians is that they are representative of the population. They are not monks and eunuchs living in splendid isolation. They are supposed to be the community and share the same interests as the community. That means that their biases are supposed to be those of the community.

I think the better question is how does the percentage of landlords in legislatures compare to the percentage of the population that are landlords.

What percentage of Canadians own rental properties?

The online survey released by real estate firm Royal LePage on Thursday shows 11 per cent or about 4.4 million Canadians are investment property owners and at least half have a plan to add to their housing portfolio in the next five years.May 25, 2023

Nearly one in ten Canadians (8%) currently own a cottage or a recreational property, and an additional 6% are likely to purchase a cottage or a recreational property within the next three years.May 15, 2003

I think the better question is how does the percentage of landlords in legislatures compare to the percentage of the population that are landlords.

It compares somewhat higher.

From the two links I posted.

Federal level is 38% so more than 3x the national average.

There is also a provincial break down for MLAs as well. Ranges from 2x the average to 5x the average depending on the province. In Ontario it’s about 34% (The Ford Cabinet has a 40% rate) .

My point stands- is the implication of being landlord in Canada now still considered evil?
Landlords are one of the providers people like to hate, and whose profit margins governments like to squeeze to buy renters' votes - governments set the rules (usually some kind of price control or subsidy), landlords pay the costs.

If they are setting financial policy that can impact those stocks and bond growing exponentially? Maybe. I view it the same as insider trading, but that's just me.
Insider trading would be if they act on a policy change before it becomes public knowledge. I suppose there's a small grey area in which they could act more quickly than any outsider by having transactions primed to fire at the moment of the announcement. Even that isn't really an abuse - most external big players awaiting a policy announcement are perfectly capable of having contingency plans ready to execute depending which way a decision goes.

Without a breakdown of their outside-politics occupations, a look at fractions of politicians invested in real estate doesn't mean much. People with high incomes - doctors, lawyers, engineers, upper management, etc - inevitably end up looking at real estate opportunities. If there are a lot of people in politics with high incomes, I'd expect to see a lot of politicians holding real estate.

Without a breakdown of their outside-politics occupations, a look at fractions of politicians invested in real estate doesn't mean much. People with high incomes - doctors, lawyers, engineers, upper management, etc - inevitably end up looking at real estate opportunities. If there are a lot of people in politics with high incomes, I'd expect to see a lot of politicians holding real estate.

Brother-in-law that worked on the pipelines bought 80 acres of farm land with a homestead. Lives on the 7 acres of homestead and leases back the other 73 to the farmer he bought it from. He is a landlord.

Brother-in-law that worked on the pipelines bought 80 acres of farm land with a homestead. Lives on the 7 acres of homestead and leases back the other 73 to the farmer he bought it from. He is a landlord.
I was a landlord for a few years myself.

As I mentioned, MPs get generous housing subsidies that a lot of them end up using for real estate ventures. That likely explains the higher percentage than anything else.

As I mentioned, MPs get generous housing subsidies that a lot of them end up using for real estate ventures. That likely explains the higher percentage than anything else.
That, and pay that is it 3x higher than the average Canadian's pay... When you're making $150K+ it's far easier to afford a second or third mortgage than if you're making $50-60K.

There is nothing evil about holding property, real or otherwise. Now if only everybody had a right to own property.... The advantages of holding property would be universal.
Everybody does have the right to own property. Whether they have the means is another matter. This is the 'equity of opportunity vs equity of outcome' argument. There is no legislation that prevents any adult from having title in their name, with the notable exception of residents of a FNT, where land is owned by the Crown in most cases.

This goes to Plato’s thoughts on style of governments. In his version of aristocracy, the ruling class is forbidden from owning property.

Everybody does have the right to own property. Whether they have the means is another matter. This is the 'equity of opportunity vs equity of outcome' argument. There is no legislation that prevents any adult from having title in their name, with the notable exception of residents of a FNT, where land is owned by the Crown in most cases.

I am not saying that there is a positive right to property in the sense that everybody should have property. I am saying that any individual has the right not to be deprived of any property that that individual amasses.

It would have been nice if the provinces had stepped out of the way and allowed its inclusion in the 1982 Charter of Rights and Freedoms. But I suppose that would have complicated their Greenbelt transactions.

I am not saying that there is a positive right to property in the sense that everybody should have property. I am saying that any individual has the right not to be deprived of any property that that individual amasses.

It would have been nice if the provinces had stepped out of the way and allowed its inclusion in the 1982 Charter of Rights and Freedoms. But I suppose that would have complicated their Greenbelt transactions.
That would negate the power of expropriation that the State reserves for public works. Otherwise, you get this:

1696109795841.png

It also might mean that your neighbour could open a metal fabrication shop in a residential area. Zoning rules don't deprive people of property, but they do limit what they can do on it. If it is a legitimate use that gets changed by new rules, it is typically grandfathered.

Back