• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

Is there any mechanism for a similar process within current government practices?
Short answer, no. But your company buys aren't subject to international trade agreements.

We have some relational contracting things now, but basically it's still some kind of best value/lowest compliant bidder starting point to get into the initial contract.

Good news - work starting on the Polar icebreaker.

Check out the thickness they are working with.
1707783437889.png

Check out the thickness they are working with.
View attachment 83079

Paul Rudd Wear A Mask GIF by GIPHY News

No, I suspect fuel tanks may have a inner wall/not be part of the hull. We almost lost the Camsull when she was sliced open by a Growler in the 1980's. They were able to save her by building a cofferdam out of construction material she was carrying.

Was talking to someone about this yesterday, and the tolerances for any distortions is really strict so the forming, welding etc is very particular. Pretty interesting if you've seen how complicated welding structural steel together is.
Watching the various marine drone strikes on Russian ships, I have to wonder if WWII Cruiser thickness armour belts might be an effective defense against the ones that get through the active defense?

Watching the various marine drone strikes on Russian ships, I have to wonder if WWII Cruiser thickness armour belts might be an effective defense against the ones that get through the active defense?
Sort of, but then they would just switch to a different charge designed to punch through armour.

Even the heavy WW2 plate is pretty basic compared to modern tanks, so wouldn't be a tough nut to crack.

Not a nav arc, but believe it would have massive implications for the structural design, aside from the obvious weight add ons, and was generally shed because it's not effective against anti ship missiles and heavyweight torpedos, so not something that is easy to retrofit (especially as we've eaten up our weight margins anyway). Avoiding detection, soft/hard kill options and general compartmentalization/redundancy and other combatant recoverability considerations give you much better bang for your buck.

Things like the torpedo nets or the torpedo buffers they added on (can't remember the name of it, basically a void space like a really big double hull) helps by just pushing the blast farther off and letting it dissipate.

Lot of brainstorming internally with NATO but likely none of it will be open source.

Sort of, but then they would just switch to a different charge designed to punch through armour.

Even the heavy WW2 plate is pretty basic compared to modern tanks, so wouldn't be a tough nut to crack.

Not a nav arc, but believe it would have massive implications for the structural design, aside from the obvious weight add ons, and was generally shed because it's not effective against anti ship missiles and heavyweight torpedos, so not something that is easy to retrofit (especially as we've eaten up our weight margins anyway). Avoiding detection, soft/hard kill options and general compartmentalization/redundancy and other combatant recoverability considerations give you much better bang for your buck.

Things like the torpedo nets or the torpedo buffers they added on (can't remember the name of it, basically a void space like a really big double hull) helps by just pushing the blast farther off and letting it dissipate.

Lot of brainstorming internally with NATO but likely none of it will be open source.
Torpedo blisters. I think if your going to have to fight in waters where these weapons will be common, you may need a purpose built ship for the fight. The good thing about the armour is that the weight is at the waterline which helps reduce it's effect. This is what 1" armour was able to stop

4123713.JPG

Torpedo blisters. I think if your going to have to fight in waters where these weapons will be common, you may need a purpose built ship for the fight. The good thing about the armour is that the weight is at the waterline which helps reduce it's effect. This is what 1" armour was able to stop

4123713.JPG
Thanks, I couldn't remember what it was called.

I think one big difference is previously torpedos hit the hull; now they blow up below you and the pressure bubble breaks your keel. Smarter people then me that specialize in that sort of thing just laugh at the idea of ships surviving a heavy weight torpedo shot, which is a typical sea training scenario for damage. Aside from breaking the ship, the blast wave would pulp everyone down below 3 deck, so don't really need to worrry about abandoning ship.

Thanks, I couldn't remember what it was called.

I think one big difference is previously torpedos hit the hull; now they blow up below you and the pressure bubble breaks your keel. Smarter people then me that specialize in that sort of thing just laugh at the idea of ships surviving a heavy weight torpedo shot, which is a typical sea training scenario for damage. Aside from breaking the ship, the blast wave would pulp everyone down below 3 deck, so don't really need to worrry about abandoning ship.
Think legs telescoped into hips, from the shockwave…

Think legs telescoped into hips, from the shockwave…
Yeah, I don't think having your heels off the deck will cut it (although does make a big difference!). Even the shock trial at a portion of the blast strength hurt, and that's nothing compared to a HWT.

Yeah, I don't think having your heels off the deck will cut it (although does make a big difference!). Even the shock trial at a portion of the blast strength hurt, and that's nothing compared to a HWT.
Nope. Not going to help. Just hope the blast kills you outright.

The WW2 novel “sharks and little fish” based on the actual war service of a Kreigsmarine veteran is instructive for what happens to people’s legs after a torpedo hit…

Nope. Not going to help. Just hope the blast kills you outright.

The WW2 novel “sharks and little fish” based on the actual war service of a Kreigsmarine veteran is instructive for what happens to people’s legs after a torpedo hit…
That's the only plus side about being on 3 deck at action stations I guess; in a HWT scenario you are in the lethal blast zone so might get taken out right away vice being horribly mangled but surviving long enough to drown.

Even folks on the bridge or in the hangar are likely toast.

Quality of the video is pretty poor, but I think instructive. It would have been more dramatic if there was fuel and ammo on board as well.

Belgrano

1707951482901.png

SMS Szent Istvan

Size doesn't seem to matter much.

Back