• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2011 Afghanistan Exit Strategy, and recruiting numbers over the next few years.

firm_believer

Inactive
Reaction score
I thought I'd ask people for their opinions/forecasts related to troop deployment numbers/recruiting numbers for 2011, as we've now got Barack Obama trying to speed up the process of handing over A-Stan to it's own people. I'll be starting my career with the CF as of late 2010, so I'm curious as to what those of you who have your finger on the "pulse" think as far as the future of recruiting/opportunities to go to conflicts overseas are concerned. This thread would gradually evolve over time of course, so I thought it would be a good idea to start.

While anything is subject to change these days, I would say that recruiting prospects for qualified applicants are good for the near future at least. 

If you were to join in late 2010 as an NCM then it would probably be nine months to a year before you join a Regiment (your mileage may vary). You will have to make your own guesses about the Afghan mission and how that impacts your chances of going.

Even if you don't go to Afghanistan, however, you can pretty much count on going somewhere at some point. People didn't see Afghanistan coming, and we probably won't see our next deployment coming until it T-bones us in the intersection of international affairs. Join, train hard and be ready for whatever comes.

Think Africa.....pick a vacation spot....there's plenty...

GAP said:
Think Africa.....pick a vacation spot....there's plenty...

Just as I was adding to T2B's "Join, train hard and be ready for whatever comes....and brush up on African geography -- perhaps eastern, coastal Africa"  :nod:

AAH, thanks for the feedback...I wondered about Africa. I've got so much yet to experience, and a ton to learn about the CF, but one thing's for sure, I want to start as an NCM, then finish the last 2 yrs. of my degree, switch to Officer status, and continue to take all the courses I can to further myself. I see it as an opportunity that civilians can't even begin to imagine.

Much appreciated.

If I had to guess the next hot spot I would say Africa as well, mainly Somalia.  The US has expressed their concern about the dangers from pirates in the region and have hinted at taking the fight on land.

Considering we have ships in the region, it wouldn't surprise me if we ended up landing ground forces sooner or later.

I can only hope opposition doesn't try to dig up old wounds after what happened with Canadian troops in Somalia in the past.

Back