• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

29 Apr 10: CF Wainwright Pers "Arrested For Alleged Drug Trafficking"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
From the CF newsroom:
.... The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS), the investigative arm of the Canadian Forces Military Police, in conjunction with the local Military Police, arrested four Canadian Forces (CF) members from Canadian Forces Base Wainwright in relation to alleged drug trafficking.

The arrests, made under section 130 of the National Defence Act (NDA), and pursuant to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, relate to alleged possession for the purpose of trafficking of a controlled substance in four cases. Several individuals were also identified for alleged possession of controlled substance.

“These arrests reflect the ongoing efforts of the CFNIS National Drug Enforcement Team across Canada,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Gilles Sansterre, Commanding Officer of the CFNIS. “We are committed to working with the chain-of-command to ensure a drug-free work environment for all CF personnel.”

The names of the arrested CF members will not be released since no charges have been laid ....

No surprise here. Idle hands and the devil's work etc, etc, etc.

Wainwright soldiers arrested for drug trafficking

EDMONTON — Four soldiers from CFB Wainwright have been arrested for allegedly trafficking drugs.

Several other soldiers could also face drug possession charges, the Canadian Forces investigative arm CFNIS said Thursday.

The identities of the soldiers are being withheld as charges have yet to be laid.

Canadian Forces National Investigation Service spokeswoman Major Paule Poulin said they released news of the arrests despite a lack of charges to set the facts straight in the small military community at Wainwright.

“The Canadian Forces do not tolerate drug use by our members,” Poulin said. “We’ll see what the investigation brings. At this time it’s just arrests.”

When asked if incidents of drug trafficking by soldiers are common or rare, Poulin said: “I wouldn’t say that it’s that common. It happens once in a while.”

"I'm glad they were caught, if the allegations prove to be true, because you're talking about people who are pretty close to recruit status out there, and they're very vulnerable," Lewis MacKenzie said.

EDMONTON - Four low-ranking soldiers stationed at CFB Wainwright have been arrested for drug trafficking while several more could be slapped with possession charges.

Details were sketchy Thursday. Military officials would say only that the allegations are still under investigation and no names will be released until charges are laid.

Capt. Sandra Bourne with the Canadian Forces Provost Marshal's office said the suspects were arrested, but have since been released with conditions, such as where they can go and who they can associate with. They remain on active duty.

She said all involved are lower-ranking soldiers "who've served only for a short time. They are not in positions of authority."

Bourne could not say when anyone will be formally charged.

Military police are still trying to determine exactly what drugs were allegedly being trafficked.

"The arrests were made in relation to some type of hallucinogenic drug," Bourne said, "but they're still testing to determine its exact nature."

A recent survey by the Canadian Forces found that the illicit drug of choice among soldiers is marijuana.

The study found that nearly 4.7% "recently" smoked pot, almost one in 20.

Military officials are quick to point out that the figure is much lower than the Canadian population in general, where surveys have found that up to 14% like to smoke up.

Alcohol abuse, however, is another matter. The Department of National Defence website says that binging (downing five or more drinks in a sitting) is "a common drinking practice by 40% of Canadian Forces members."

Only 32% of post-secondary students -- generally considered the heaviest drinkers in society -- party that much.

One rank-and-file soldier stationed in Edmonton said it shouldn't be surprising that military types like to party.

He compared the lifestyle to working in a boomtown like Fort McMurray.

"You get these young guys, many single and right out of high school, suddenly making good money. They work long hours in a tough, stressful job," said the soldier, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "This is how some blow off steam."

But when soldiers are in a combat zone, they're all business, says retired major-general Lewis MacKenzie.

"Outside the wire, supervision is 24-7," he said. "It's cheek-to-jowl and nobody, but nobody, in the majority group is going to tolerate anybody in the minority group abusing drugs. You have to trust the guys on your right and on your left."

However, he added, "I'd be very concerned about it in a training environment."

CFB Wainwright is Western Canada's major training ground, where soldiers have been honing their combat skills before deploying to Afghanistan.

"I'm glad they were caught, if the allegations prove to be true, because you're talking about people who are pretty close to recruit status out there, and they're very vulnerable," MacKenzie said.

The Canadian Forces has a zero-tolerance policy on drug abuse. Random drug testing can be done at any time, and all troops shipping out to Afghanistan are subjected to a short-notice urine test.

Anyone who tests positive stays home and is subject to disciplinary action and possibly rehabilitation.

The blanket testing began in 2007. Of the first 1,500 tested, 4.8% failed.

Another 2.6% submitted diluted urine samples. They were immediately removed from pre-deployment training and faced an administrative review.

There is a difference between drug trafficking and possession for the purpose of drug trafficking.  If you get whacked with trafficking it is getting caught actually moving/selling the drugs.  Possession for the purpose can speak to quantity and/or packaging as well as other found items that support the belief that there is traffcking going on. 
I'm curious what type of drug it turns out to be.  Not too many hallucinogens out there.  Shrooms are impossible to find these days!  So I hear
;D

zipperhead_cop said:
There is a difference between drug trafficking and possession for the purpose of drug trafficking.  If you get whacked with trafficking it is getting caught actually moving/selling the drugs.  Possession for the purpose can speak to quantity and/or packaging as well as other found items that support the belief that there is traffcking going on. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I always thought the two were the same and that some reporter had just screwed-up the reporting.

I'm curious what type of drug it turns out to be.  Not too many hallucinogens out there.  Shrooms are impossible to find these days!  So I hear  ;D

Mushrooms were the first thing I thought of too. However, I think out in B.C. there are hallucinogenic mushrooms native to the region. According to my handy reference on drugs the other two main hallucinogens are LSD and mescaline (aka peyote). If its not mushrooms these guys were busted on I'll bet on LSD.

Yeah, those are the main ones.  Can't speak for out west, but I've never heard of anyone getting nailed for acid in over ten years and I've never seen peyote anywhere in our area.  Gotta be mushrooms. 
Or somebody is misclassing their suspected drugs. 

Name them and shame them, give them a trial, and with an expected ZERO tolerance drug policy, fire their arses out the door dishonourably.

They are simply a disgrace to us all.

OWDU

Got a PM from a member, normally I would not publically post a PM but thought this was fit to post on what goes on in some peoples minds. He responded to my above post as fol:

"I highly disagree.

There's thousands of soldiers who drink heavily every weekend, on leave, on postings, ect, and that's considered "acceptable". Then theres a good chunk that get rowdy, get into fights, start verbal confrontations, and almost all incidents result in very very minor administrative action against them.

Yet I smoke pot on my OWN TIME, on my OWN PROPERTY, and I get military disipline and a natch on my career record because of a drug test. There's something wrong with that, very wrong.

I just feel your being too broad man."

The highlighted bit above blew me a way........

Summing up, binge drinking is NOT acceptable, nor is violent behaviour. Many charges result from this and repeat offenders can find themselves being discharged. I don't know where Mr Rez gets his info from, and I certainlly hope those with his drug smoking attitude are few and far between in serving members of the CF.

Alcohol is not illegal. I do NOT condone irresponsible behaviour with it, nor does the CF.

In Australia, as a Defence Force Member, get caught with drugs in your system or room, even a small amount, and you're gone, you're done, finished with the ADF period. A small mark on one's record does not happen here, as its a ZERO tolerence policy, and I thought it was the same with the CF. If you drink too much, they'll do what they can for you, continue, and you're also gone.

Now would you want a druggo in your secton, when you all have to rely on each other when the SHTF? I don't. The same goes with a chronic alcholic.

OWDU

Edited to remove name of member... please don't quote and attribute Private Messages in public.

Booze and drugs, even marijuana, are very very different animals IMHO.

Drinking is acceptable, even when you have one too many (with certain conditions), but smoking dope is unacceptable in amy amount. Plus, there's historical precedant and military traditions that involve alcohol (mess dinners, port, pass the boot, etc.), whereas with dope, there is none. Add to that that it's a criminal offence to even possess dope.

If I knew that my fireteam partner was a dope smoker, I would not trust him. How could you trust a man that willingly breaks the CCC and the NDA so needlessly?

If guilty, I hope they hammer these losers.

zipperhead_cop said:
Yeah, those are the main ones.  Can't speak for out west, but I've never heard of anyone getting nailed for acid in over ten years and I've never seen peyote anywhere in our area.  Gotta be mushrooms. 
Or somebody is misclassing their suspected drugs.

Now and then an enterprising individual will surprise you. Here in Kingston last month a private was convicted of robbing four different drugstores at gunpoint to obtain his poison of choice, which was Oxy. You don't see a lot of that.

He's still on the payroll of the federal government, although now making 20 cents a day for approximately the next four years, less his 2-for-1 provincial time credit.

Overwatch Downunder said:
There's thousands of soldiers who drink heavily every weekend, on leave, on postings, ect, and that's considered "acceptable". Then theres a good chunk that get rowdy, get into fights, start verbal confrontations, and almost all incidents result in very very minor administrative action against them.

Yet I smoke pot on my OWN TIME, on my OWN PROPERTY, and I get military disipline and a natch on my career record because of a drug test. There's something wrong with that, very wrong.  

Thats a pretty broad brush to paint so many soldiers with.  I would agree its a very high percentage on deployments when soldiers get their leave time, but much lower back in Canada. 

It might be a normal habit for younger single soldiers (I did it myself then), but any adult with a family who gets blind plastered drunk every weekend has a problem in my opinion and should seek counseling. 

Regarding drug use, any one who uses illegal drugs, even on their own time, especially when the military has a clear policy and regulations forbidding their use, is no better than the common criminals being arrested by the police for the same activity.   

:2c:

Not to mention that alcohol is legal for those over a certain age to use. Marijuana is illegal. Pure and simple.

These people who insist they should be able to smoke dope and be in the CF should take their release, as their beliefs clash with our military ethos.

I remember back in the 80s in Csqn and George Wallace might remember this also. Going in to a couple of ESQ's and seeing butter knives stuck out of the burner on the stove and most of the the butter knives were burnt on the ends I also remember one of the Cpl from BC being on sentry on exercise and finding some Mushrooms in one of the fields in the training area and him and another couple of individuals volunteering to do guard and awful lot.

There were 4 individuals in Edmonton around 02 - 04 that were busted for drugs and it took quite a while to get them out of the Army. They were in to every thing pot, crack, crystal meth, EX, and Cocaine. One of them had the Edmonton City police Tac team take down his PMQ because his civi "friends" were using it as a lab.

40below said:
Now and then an enterprising individual will surprise you. Here in Kingston last month a private was convicted of robbing four different drugstores at gunpoint to obtain his poison of choice, which was Oxy. You don't see a lot of that.

Prescription drug abuse is very common and drug stores everywhere are seeing this sort of thing.  But they are not considered a hallucinogen.  That is what we were trying to figure out. 

As the investigation is an active one, any reference to it, especially from secret "sources" will not be tolerated. Neither will mindless babbling that adds nothing to the thread.

General, non descriptive discussion, resulting from published items may continue.

Milnet.ca Staff

You guys should keep in mind that the CF does have a rehab program for drug and alcohol related offences. That's why there is counselling. Consideration is taken for the overall scale of the offence on a case by case basis. The willingness of the soldier to change is also taken into consideration. Even to the extent of signing a contract of aggreement for a given period determined by the counsellor/s. For instance, 1 year without a drink etc etc. And afterwards, a time of probation.
However there are the lost causes.
And usually when someone is charged.......he is charged with multiple offenses to the NDA
Tolerance Zero is A1

Rehab counseling is for someone who is addicted, not someone who is trafficking.  Of course, there's a possibility that they were selling to feed their own habit but I'd be guessing most dealers don't use what they sell.

PMedMoe said:
I'd be guessing most dealers don't use what they sell.

At street level, yes they use...............most times these dirtbags are the victims of their own addiction while smarter more dirtbaggish people use them and the folks they hook to keep a steady supply of throwaways around.

EDIT: cause I write stupid

Back