• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A-10 In Big Demand

Armymatters said:
It is the US Air Force that doesn't want them. The air force does not want any combat type airplane that is neither a bomber or a fighter, and the A-10 falls into a catergory into itself. The US Army loves the A-10. Given the opportunity, if the Army could operate them over the air force, they would snap them up in a sec.
The Hogs were an Army aircorp aircraft.  They were / are not elegant and the airforce jocks couldn't imagine themselves defining their use as being "sexy".
1st the AF the took em away from the army
2nd the AF was planning to retire em BUT..... then Gulf War 1 came around and we all know the kind of mayhem the Hogs did to the Iraqi columns................

Hard to keep a "good man" down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10

I believe the A-10 started as a USAF need during the Cold War in the late 60's. 

Duey, good point.  Even though it operates from rough airstrips, it still needs an airstrip.  Where as an Apaches can be delpoyed from forward operating bases.

It's funny to see how it seems to go through a cycle of being unwanted, until they need it... at which point it's a gift from heaven.

Scurvybob, you'd be surprized at the trash talk you hear on the UHF-interplane, with Shooters (-64's) telling monkeys (Hawk drivers) to "shut up unless we ask you a question"...  :eek: 

"Meow!  Saucer of milk, table 2!"    ;D

Cheers,
Duey

Lets hope an A 10 doesn't mistaken one of our LAV's.  This LAV was destroyed in place by an A 10 after it was determined it couldn't be saved by the IED.
156c0mf.jpg

156clg2.jpg

156cm6d.jpg

156coch.jpg

From the reports I have yes it was one of ours, it got popped with an IED as Quag said, they then deemed it un recoverable and instead of leaving anything intact they did the prudent thing of calling in an airstrike...they got an A10 and as you see well a LAV is not tank and when it gets hit by a tank buster well it goes POP.

lol, my tax dollars starting screaming at the sight of that picture.....that's why I asked to be sure.

(No no, I realize it was completely necessary and a good thing to do... but it's like going to the doctor, you still don't have to like it)

Quagmire said:
Lets hope an A 10 doesn't mistaken one of our LAV's.  This LAV was destroyed in place by an A 10 after it was determined it couldn't be saved by the IED.
156clg2.jpg

Forunately, the bad guys do not have a similiar vehcile that could lead to mistaken identities.  That didnt look like a survivable hit.

Overall, amazing how a piece of equipment deemed ready for the scrapyard in 1990 is now planned for extension until 2028!

Hmmm, sounds like the Sea King!  ;D

Centurian1985 said:
Forunately, the bad guys do not have a similiar vehcile that could lead to mistaken identities.  That didnt look like a survivable hit.

Overall, amazing how a piece of equipment deemed ready for the scrapyard in 1990 is now planned for extension until 2028!

Hmmm, sounds like the Sea King!  ;D

Any leftover BTR's from the russkies?  That's the closest thing that might be mistaken for an LAV in those parts I think.

Apparantly, the Hog dropped 2-3 500 lb'rs on it and did 2 straffing runs with the gun.  ouch.

...they got an A10 and as you see well a LAV is not tank and when it gets hit by a tank buster well it goes POP.

Apparantly, the Hog dropped 2-3 500 lb'rs on it and did 2 straffing runs with the gun.

I think a tank - hit by a tank-buster dropping that much ordnance - would have looked much the same.

Back