• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ACS Anyone? - Sept

SupersonicMax said:
It really varies from serial to serial...  On mine, 8/12 passed PLT, 4/12 passed for ANAV, 2 failed Aircrew Medical in Toronto.  On an other serial my roommate when back in 1st year at RMC (lonnng time ago  ;)), 2/10 passed for PLT and none for ANAV...

Max

Thanks Max.

So does one need passes in all categories to make it through? I assume certain tests are weighted higher/lower than others.

If you want to be a pilot, you only need to pass the pilot testing in Trenton and pilot medical in Toronto.  For airnavs, you need to pass the nav test and the nav medical.  You can fail the airnav test and still become a pilot. 

Just to be confusing, if you fail the nav medical you can't be a pilot  ;D

Max

hi guys
i just wanted to ask about the centrifuge at the medical, is there a minimum Gs u have to pull to pass?

I jsut did the medical, no centrifuge. The pilot medical includes the nav tests and more. The standard pass rate for passing 80% according to the ppl running the course in trenton. the medical is great fun  ;D

Just to throw it out there for everyone's edification, the baseline standard is 6 G for 15 seconds, sans g-suit. I believe only Harvard IPs, Hawk, and Hornet drivers are sent on the course these days. Hawk and Hornet guys do 7.5 G for 15 seconds followed by 5 G for 15-30 seconds with g-suit. It's a good ol' time, I swear  ;D

thx for the info guys, for some reason i thought centrifuge was part of the medical , on the subject i watched some videos on youtube , ppl riding with blue angels and it was really informative on the effects of Gs :)  also on the drdc website they have the compression chamber , i guess they take you up to certain altittude, is that in the initial medical?  by trade i'm a commercial diver and i had a lot time getting compressed in the can so it would be interesting to experience the opposite.  I heard a lot of stories from the old timers about the experiments when they were first coming up with CF dive tables, and it's really amazing. Do they give you a tour of drdc when you are down there since that would definately be a sight to see.

No, the high altitude chamber isn't part of the initial medical; you'll do that on the Aeromedical Training course prior to starting training in Moose Jaw. That course is done in Winnipeg. On that course, as with the high-G course, you do several different profiles in the chamber, the most extreme being a rapid decompression to 35,000 feet.

I'm sure you could ask to be shown around the facilities while at DRDC in Toronto; whether anyone is available to give you the tour is a different question!

I should add, lest you get freaked out by the numbers I've mentioned, that there is plenty of classroom instruction before you get in the chamber on both the aeromedical course and the high-G course, so you're very well prepared for what you're about to experience. If you pay attention to the instructors, you should have no problem with either.

When we were in Toronto.. we were told not to deviate from where ever we were told to go.
From the impression I got they didn't want us wandering around at all. Maybe we just got a grumpy gate gaurd.

As for pass fail. ACS was 8/10... they said that it was unusually high.

Also remember while in the CAPPs.. i think it was CAPPs.. it was several months ago.. remember that its not soundproof.
I don't know if theres any kind of penalisation, but you do get some funny looks as you step out of the machine if you yell back at the computer..

"I'M CHECKING MY FRAKEN BANK!"

;D

inferno said:
When we were in Toronto.. we were told not to deviate from where ever we were told to go.
From the impression I got they didn't want us wandering around at all. Maybe we just got a grumpy gate gaurd.

As for pass fail. ACS was 8/10... they said that it was unusually high.

Also remember while in the CAPPs.. i think it was CAPPs.. it was several months ago.. remember that its not soundproof.
I don't know if theres any kind of penalisation, but you do get some funny looks as you step out of the machine if you yell back at the computer..

"I'M CHECKING MY FRAKEN BANK!"

;D

Thanks for the info Inferno.

How long were you in Toronto for? After passing, did you guys get to go out for 'a few' celebratory drinks?

Also, I assume you mean 8 passed and 10 failed in your group as ACS. Did you have any previous flying experience, or was CAPPs your first time in a sim?

Thanks a lot.

Hey sry i haven't replyed in so long, got back, then had a bunch of stuff to do. We started with 12 ppz. 2 dropped out after the first session on the second day and of the 10, 5 passed for pilot and 2 for nav. I think I had at least 1 beer everyday i was there. Theres the WO mess on base and the hotel had a good bar. Since there was only 5 of us to do the more extensive pilot medical exams, and 2 for the nav medical 
we were done on thursday. Most ppl changed their flights or trains to leave on friday. Since i was flyin all the way back to BC i decided to look around toronto on friday. We were never told not to wander around toronto or anything like that.

I had no flyin experience going in except flight simulator. One thing i can say is don't try n figure out the machine. LIke if i do bad, then do better everytime maybe i will have a better chance of flyin. People tried to do this and the ones that did failed, I think. You will do bad on u're first one no matter what, so jsut try your best every run.

Quyen said:
Hey sry i haven't replyed in so long, got back, then had a bunch of stuff to do. We started with 12 ppz. 2 dropped out after the first session on the second day and of the 10, 5 passed for pilot and 2 for nav. I think I had at least 1 beer everyday i was there. Theres the WO mess on base and the hotel had a good bar. Since there was only 5 of us to do the more extensive pilot medical exams, and 2 for the nav medical 
we were done on thursday. Most ppl changed their flights or trains to leave on friday. Since i was flyin all the way back to BC i decided to look around toronto on friday. We were never told not to wander around toronto or anything like that.

I had no flyin experience going in except flight simulator. One thing i can say is don't try n figure out the machine. LIke if i do bad, then do better everytime maybe i will have a better chance of flyin. People tried to do this and the ones that did failed, I think. You will do bad on u're first one no matter what, so jsut try your best every run.

Congrats on ACS man, good for you. So you were out there for 3 days then? 2 for ACS and 1 just to see the city a bit? What's the next step for you now?

Any more advice you can give a future ACS participant? Not sure if you can say or not, but I'll ask anyways. Are there multiple written tests, or just the CFAT?

Thanks a lot and good luck!

I arrived in trenton on saturday night, was there till wed night then went to toronto. Left toronto on sat. Umm don't think I can say too much. Just look at the booklet they give you. The navigator tests are written

Sorry I didn't mean toronto actual, i meant the DRDC. They told us not to wander around DRDC.

Of my course.. I just recounted. 6 passed 2 failed. srr for not being clear.

We didn't drink at all. We were told by pretty much everyone... don't drink, try to stay away from caffine and anything else like that. I don't know if its really important.. but thats what we were told and thats what we did. I assume that between stress and a few cups of coffe you can "modify" your heart tests in a negative way. But hey. It's up to you eventually.

I arrived in toronto on sunday.. woke up monday. did monday, tuesday, and wed at Trenton. then drove wed night to toronto. did thursday in toronto testing.. then I moved my flight from sunday morning to thursday afternoon.

Caps was my first time in a real sim. I've played around in my dads airplane before. but not much.. and ive flown a lot of flgiht sim stuff.. im a nintendo generation kid.

inferno said:
Sorry I didn't mean toronto actual, i meant the DRDC. They told us not to wander around DRDC.

Of my course.. I just recounted. 6 passed 2 failed. srr for not being clear.

We didn't drink at all. We were told by pretty much everyone... don't drink, try to stay away from caffine and anything else like that. I don't know if its really important.. but thats what we were told and thats what we did. I assume that between stress and a few cups of coffe you can "modify" your heart tests in a negative way. But hey. It's up to you eventually.

I arrived in toronto on sunday.. woke up monday. did monday, tuesday, and wed at Trenton. then drove wed night to toronto. did thursday in toronto testing.. then I moved my flight from sunday morning to thursday afternoon.

Caps was my first time in a real sim. I've played around in my dads airplane before. but not much.. and ive flown a lot of flgiht sim stuff.. im a nintendo generation kid.

I dont know whether or not you can say, but what exactly does ACS consist of as far as written tests and sim flights. How many of each? Also, are the tests and medicals the same for navs and pilots? Does everyone do the nav as well as pilot testing? So does everyone find out on the last day if they passed or not, and what they got an offer for?

I hear you on the 'nintendo generation' thing - The only flying experience I have is via microsoft and various combat flight sims.

Anyways, thanks for your help once again, and good luck!

J_Muir said:
I dont know whether or not you can say, but what exactly does ACS consist of as far as written tests and sim flights. How many of each?

I don't know what I can say. So I don't want to overstep. Theres already lots of info on this board.

J_Muir said:
Also, are the tests and medicals the same for navs and pilots?

Dont know, I did them all for both. Had no.. only Navs on course.

J_Muir said:
Does everyone do the nav as well as pilot testing?

We all did. Don't know if thats standard.

J_Muir said:
So does everyone find out on the last day if they passed or not, and what they got an offer for?

Yup.

Don't worry too mcuh about it, and just have fun, try hard.

inferno said:

I'm actually looking forward to it a lot! It's just another stone on the path.

inferno said:
I don't know what I can say. So I don't want to overstep. Theres already lots of info on this board.

Dont know, I did them all for both. Had no.. only Navs on course.

We all did. Don't know if thats standard.

Yup.

Yeah no worries man. I was basically just wanting to know a number - like 1 written test, 2 sim sessions and 2 medicals, or something like that...not that it really makes a difference. Thanks though. I'm actually looking forward to it a lot! It's just another stone on the path.

Back