• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Act of Valor

There is a fine line between valour and stupidity... that would be well across it, and on the border of insanity and death wish.

Too many explosions, but I'll probably put this in the "Tears of the Sun" entertainment category.

Jim Seggie said:
Don't get too wrapped around that channel. Good for infra info purposes but try not to take any ideas away from it as it is primarily American stuff.

Hey now, "Truth, Duty, Valour" airs on that station from time to time  ;D

Infanteer said:
Too many explosions, but I'll probably put this in the "Tears of the Sun" entertainment category.

I saw it at the advance screening in Toronto last night, I am willing to let a few hollywoodisms slide in this instance.  For once it was a movie about high speed low drag types, featuring actual highspeed low drag types, and not "acting" like conventional hollywood highspeed low drag types.

My only real concern was with the fireball-explosions from the hand grenades. Other than it, it's not bad and it is what I expected. From what I understand, all 8 core SEAL team members are serving SEALs. If you look around on the internet, their names don't appear in the credits. Apparently the US Navy was behind some of the funding for this.

The SEALS were originally reluctant to participate. Persuaded by the answer to "who better not to f--k-up the depiction". Took four years to make around the SEALS trg/msm etc. No CGI.

CanadianTire said:
My only real concern was with the fireball-explosions from the hand grenades. Other than it, it's not bad and it is what I expected. From what I understand, all 8 core SEAL team members are serving SEALs. If you look around on the internet, their names don't appear in the credits. Apparently the US Navy was behind some of the funding for this.

Like I said, willing to forgive some of the hollywoodisms (ie fireball grenades).  I don't doubt the USN helped with the funding, since this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlU5hQnLwcY was the genesis that started this all. 

Hatchet Man said:
Like I said, willing to forgive some of the hollywoodisms (ie fireball grenades).  I don't doubt the USN helped with the funding, since this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlU5hQnLwcY was the genesis that started this all.

You just KNOW they're 'special' because there is alot of slo mo sequences ;D

Hatchet Man said:

I would be surprised if they didn't. The US DOD is arguably the largest producer of Hollywood movies. DOD subsidizes the movie industry through the usage of military equipment and soldiers to operate that equipment. Without this support, many movies would never be made. Top Gun and the Transformers franchise are prime examples of this. What is different here is that US military pers have not been featured in speaking roles on a large scale before. This is essentially a fictionalized account of what the SEALS do, played by actual Navy SEALS. It will be interesting to see if this is a one off concept or if the movie industry takes advantage of this more so and essentially turns into the entertainment branch of DOD.

jeffb said:
I would be surprised if they didn't. The US DOD is arguably the largest producer of Hollywood movies. DOD subsidizes the movie industry through the usage of military equipment and soldiers to operate that equipment. Without this support, many movies would never be made. Top Gun and the Transformers franchise are prime examples of this. What is different her is that US military pers have not been featured in speaking roles on a large scale before. This is essentially a fictionalized account of what the SEALS do, played by actual Navy SEALS. It will be interesting to see if this is a one off concept or if the movie industry takes advantage of this more so and essentially turns into the entertainment branch of DOD.

That would definately rile up all the left wingers in hollywood for sure.

Hatchet Man said:
That would definately rile up all the left wingers in hollywood for sure.

Hollywood left wingers- limo liberals.

They should put their money where their rather gargantuan mouths are.

When I want advice on how to make movies I will ask them, not so much on foreign policy.

so...?
tell us it is better than The Hurt Locker... (that's easy though)

I saw an advanced screening  tonight and yes, it's easily better than The Hurt Locker. Yeah there are "fireball grenades" (and a "dud" RPG) but aside from the Hollywood FX it tells a good story of brotherhood and sacrifice.

sapper_33 said:
(and a "dud" RPG)

Didn't explode ?

Didn't fire ?

I haven't seen the movie yet but i'm sure that even the RPG is not immune to malfunctions.

No there was more to that particular scene than the RPG not exploding, but want to avoid spoilers.  Let's just say the outcome very very unlikely, if not damn impossible.  But it was still kinda funny.

Back