• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan troops learning to become modern army

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Afghan troops learning to become modern army
Updated Tue. Mar. 20 2007 1:37 PM ET Canadian Press
Article Link

PANJWAII, Afghanistan -- "Come on, spread it out,'' Warrant Officer Chuck Graham says as a platoon of Afghan National Army troops and their Canadian advisers begin a patrol.

There are reports that up to 12 Taliban insurgents are operating in nearby villages and fields.

ANA troops, backed by a handful of Canadians such as Graham, have been sweeping the area for weeks, speaking with village elders and farmers, showing them with their presence that the Panjwaii district is Afghan government turf.

The Canadians are members of the Observer Mentor Liaison Team. They hang back, allowing the Afghan platoon commander and his men to make the decisions -- to take the lead.

A bearded machine-gunner is out in front, his crisp new camouflage body armour criss-crossed with belts of oily bullets for his old Soviet-era weapon.

Troops armed with battered AK-47s, some held together with red duct tape, scan the flanks as the column slowly snakes its way by ramshackle shops and into a labyrinth of back alleys, open sewers and mud-brick compounds.

A soldier, his eyes gleaming above a black scarf tied around his face, brings up the rear toting a rocket- propelled grenade launcher.

Villagers sit impassively but stare hard.

"Right now their formations and movements are being well executed, but their spacing is too tight for this area,'' says Master Warrant Officer Wayne Bartlett as he follows closely behind, keeping an eye out for trouble.
More on link

I hope that the ANA keep working hard and stict with the missions on hand.. It is nice to see them working for a better country.

i read in the newspaper the other day that the ANA are asking Canada for better weapons and body armour etc.
it showed a picture of a ford ranger with RPG`s in the box and the caption read "Built ford tough but that's not tough enough"  :rofl:
makes sense if the weapons there using are held together by duct tape, glad to see there striving to become better and for a better country looks like were making alot of progress

What about making arrangements to supply them with more adequate weaponry, if it helps them stabilize the country and defeat Timmy Taliban?

It would help us in our goals of defeating the Taliban.  It would also help us ensure the quality of troops the ANA is putting forward (In terms of equipment) is more adequate, all tying into the eventuality that they will have to be responsible for all of it one day.

Supplying them with advanced weaponry is obviously out of the question, but where is the harm in supplying them with the same model of weapons - just ones that aren't held together by duct tape?

CBH99 said:
What about making arrangements to supply them with more adequate weaponry, if it helps them stabilize the country and defeat Timmy Taliban?

It would help us in our goals of defeating the Taliban.  It would also help us ensure the quality of troops the ANA is putting forward (In terms of equipment) is more adequate, all tying into the eventuality that they will have to be responsible for all of it one day.

Supplying them with advanced weaponry is obviously out of the question, but where is the harm in supplying them with the same model of weapons - just ones that aren't held together by duct tape?

i couldn't have put it any better myself, the weapons they carry are not insufficient.....i think they do need to be supplied with armoured carriers and stuff to a certain level, give them a start, put them on there feet and let there government take care of them

I agree with and would hope that we could help them out in anyway that we can.  After working with some ANA when i was there they really showed that they want to learn..  It would be nice to see some country stand up and pull out new weapons for them but i don't see that anytime soon.

about time.  let's hope that once the western armies leave they do not hand themselves over to hadji's armies.

next thing you know we will have another iraq or iran on our hands, that know our tactics.

The Real Shlomo said:
about time.  let's hope that once the western armies leave they do not hand themselves over to hadji's armies.

next thing you know we will have another iraq or iran on our hands, that know our tactics.

Well, I'm not sure that we are going to have to worry about that. But I think a better example would be ..... Afghanistan.
The West supplied them for the fight against the Bear, but .. the rest is history.
The ANA is in need of weapons, we are in need of the ANA, it is almost guaranteed (IMO) that they are going to be re-equipped in the near future. Whether it be by us or any other NATO member.

Well, I'm not sure that we are going to have to worry about that. But I think a better example would be ..... Afghanistan.
The West supplied them for the fight against the Bear, but .. the rest is history.
The ANA is in need of weapons, we are in need of the ANA, it is almost guaranteed (IMO) that they are going to be re-equipped in the near future. Whether it be by us or any other NATO member.

or by the sale of poppy products...once we are good an gone, they will have the funds they require to buy what they need.

don't kid yourself that afghanistan will be a happy place. with flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children will dance and laugh and play with gumdrop smiles.

please get yourself out of you happy world midget-boyd91

shlomo

Back