• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan warlord takes over province

kaspacanada

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040408.wfaay0408/BNStory/International/

Kabul â ” A powerful warlord‘s militia overran a provincial capital in Afghanistan on Thursday, forcing the governor to flee in what could be the biggest challenge yet to U.S.-backed President Hamid Karzai.

The takeover of Maymana may raise concerns in Washington over the stability of Afghanistan as the country prepares for national elections and American troops face a surge of violence in Iraq.
There‘s more if you wanna read it at the above posted link.

They want to destabilize their country? Fine, give them the right to self determination in their little corner of the desert. They can set up their own primitive government system. The internatioanl community can forget about selling them arms as they have nothing to trade for them. They can live herding their .. whatever animals they have...they can live in whatever apparently archaic simple existence that they want to. If they screw with the Afghan government, or ANY other government after that, then I think the new Afghan government should have the reason and right to go in and remove the warlord and his supporters and dump them in a prison somewhere for threatening peace and security. Do that to every other warlord who thinks they can run the show better. The trick is to have strong enough Afghan military and security forces to be able to do so. I am sick and tired about hearing how these people kill eachother in struggles for power. :threat:

I was watching a documentary on Newsworld during the invasion of Afghanistan in 2001. It had a Northern Alliance commander chatting with an Al-Quaeda commander. Far from threatening, the conversation (albeit over the phone) was very cordial, hardly threatening. I believe that if any country was to have multiple "armies" and ruling factions, the lines distinguishing them would be blurred considerably, especially along religious and cultural lines. That incongruity would make it hard to distinguish between yourself and your "enemy".

Think of it this way; If you had the choice of two equal armies to be an Afghani interim government, Pakistan or Australia, which do you think would do a better job? Now think of why.

As for cash crop, the Afghan warlords are kept in power by Heroin exports. Drugs get hard currency like nothing else, and that part of the world seems to be awash in illicit weapons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/610345.stm

Just an example.

Back