• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

Good afternoon!
I've conducted my enrollment via Skype in May; just waiting for a BMOQ date. I'm trying to set myself and my daughter up with a realistic expectation of what the next 3 years will be like. I'd like to know what your experiences were from BMOQ to qualified.

1)Where did you OJT?

2)What accommodations did you use?

3)What % of time did you spend away for pre-req training?

4)When did you move your belongings?

Thank you so much.

Congrats Mother Goose!

There's not going to be a straight answer on this -- everyone's mileage varies -- but here's my experience so far:

1) After BMOQ, I got posted to NDHQ for my BTL/OJT (since Dec 2019)... flying a desk
2) I'm renting an apartment because there are no PMQs available for officers here (but my stuff is still stuck in storage, no one knows why I was posted IR)
3) I haven't been sent off for pre-req training yet, but I've been told I'll be gone for "a week or two, here and there" (nav school slated to start Fall 2021)
4) They packed & stored my belongings days before BMOQ (I'm not sure when I'm allowed to get it back, I'm assuming when I go to nav school... or my first posting after that lol)

Good luck! Once you embrace the "hurry up and wait" (there's A LOT of it), it's easy sailing. Just don't expect things to go as planned lol

MotherGoose said:
Good afternoon!
I've conducted my enrollment via Skype in May; just waiting for a BMOQ date. I'm trying to set myself and my daughter up with a realistic expectation of what the next 3 years will be like. I'd like to know what your experiences were from BMOQ to qualified.

1)Where did you OJT?

2)What accommodations did you use?

3)What % of time did you spend away for pre-req training?

4)When did you move your belongings?

Thank you so much.

Congrats!

Land survival is about a week and in manitoba.
Sea survival is couple days and in comox.
BEW is an online course that can be completed in a week or less if you really want to finish it fast .... which I don’t recommend since you will use this knowledge once on course as per the new ACSO training plan. Waiting time can varies a lot. I’ve seen couple month to 2 years. Depends on the waiting list when you finish your BMOQ. Right now it’s easy to imagine what it looks like because of the pandemic.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

carpeboi said:
Congrats!

Land survival is about a week and in manitoba.
Sea survival is couple days and in comox.
BEW is an online course that can be completed in a week or less if you really want to finish it fast .... which I don’t recommend since you will use this knowledge once on course as per the new ACSO training plan. Waiting time can varies a lot. I’ve seen couple month to 2 years. Depends on the waiting list when you finish your BMOQ. Right now it’s easy to imagine what it looks like because of the pandemic.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

If you have time, the Basic Space Operations Course is also interesting and online.  It's not totally relevant to basic ACSO training but may come into play later in your career, esp learning about GPS and such.

I finished BMOQ (loved it) in late Feb. Got my posting message pretty quick—one month into BMOQ. And it's near my daughter, yay! My OJT has been all admin so far.

Back