• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Forage Cap

brian_k said:
Yeah, i'd haul around the P-cap, i prefer the looks of it to the wedge so the small effort would be worth it.

I fly on a fairly big aircraft and the p-cap would be a serious pain in the a**

Can someone who has the CF Dress Instructions handy confirm this for me, the last I was told and this was few years back was that the Air Force Peak Cap was for wear only by MWO and above, this of course was about the same time the Army finally said see you later to the bleedin thing. I could be wrong this info is about 10 years old or more.  Cheers.

ArtyNewbie said:
Can someone who has the CF Dress Instructions handy confirm this for me, the last I was told and this was few years back was that the Air Force Peak Cap was for wear only by MWO and above, this of course was about the same time the Army finally said see you later to the bleedin thing. I could be wrong this info is about 10 years old or more.  Cheers.

Link is included in the second post on this thread.

CWOs & above -- with Ceremonial and Mess Dress.

Vern

Anyone that has had a forage cap, for any reasonable amount of time, and wants to keep it, is a masochist or someone that doesn't wear it as much as they should. Two minutes from your car to office in the morning and another two minutes from your office to car in the evening (ok, early afternoon), is not normal wear. Spend most of the day wearing it, and you'll soon change your tune. If you really want to spend your day looking like Ralph Kramden (Google him), feel free. Most of us gave up trying to emulate Milkman Dan (you can google him too) years ago, and were more than grateful when the regs changed. But hey, I suppose there's still a little Cliff Robertson (Google) left in enough fly boys to keep the archaic piece of headgear alive ;D

recceguy said:
I suppose there's still a little Cliff Robertson (Google) left in enough fly boys to keep the archaic piece of headgear alive ;D

Its alive enough that i was never issued with one. As a matter of fact, none of my coworkers have one either. I did see a Capt. in CYZX wear one a few years ago. I hear he's out now !

CDN Aviator said:
Its alive enough that i was never issued with one. As a matter of fact, none of my coworkers have one either. I did see a Capt. in CYZX wear one a few years ago. I hear he's out now !

That's because you're not a CWO or above, only then are you issued one. All your officer coworkers would have been issued one, I know I was and I even exchanged it for one with the gold band when I got my Commission and promoted to 2Lt, if they no longer have it that's their own fault.

Inch said:
That's because you're not a CWO or above, only then are you issued one. All your officer coworkers would have been issued one, I know I was and I even exchanged it for one with the gold band when I got my Commission and promoted to 2Lt, if they no longer have it that's their own fault.

When did they stop issuing AF peaked caps?

ArmyVern said:
Link is included in the second post on this thread.

CWOs & above -- with Ceremonial and Mess Dress.

Vern

Forage cap with Mess Kit. Please, if anyone has a picture of someone doing that, please post it. I want to see if it looks anything like Carlton the Doorman. ;D

(God is probably partial to airmen, and I'm going straight to hell  ::) )

benny88 said:
I know they can't wear anything else, so does that mean a cornflake is ok with the P-cap? (Sidenote, I realize I could requisition or order the proper badges, although I don't believe I'm entitled to wear them until trained, and must stick with the tri-force.)

Yes. corn flake = okay with peak cap. It'll be quite silly for Naval personnel to walk around with no capbadge doesn't it? ;D

airmich said:
I haven't seen any forage caps at all recently, but maybe some of the older ;) AF guys (Loachman?  G2G?) can help out.

Because I like you so much, I will forgive your inclusion of my user name and "AF" in the same sentence - but just this once, okay?

I despise wedges, which the Army rightly declared obsolete decades ago, not too long after the shako.

I'd prefer a peaked cap over that, but a beret over either.

Or even a shako.

Loachman said:
I despise wedges, which the Army rightly declared obsolete decades ago, not too long after the shako.

I'd prefer a peaked cap over that, but a beret over either.

I agree, the wedge isn't the sharpest lookin item, and i'd wear a peak cap or beret over it any day, but it's nice that we have a choice.

brian_k said:
I agree, the wedge isn't the sharpest lookin item, and i'd wear a peak cap or beret over it any day, but it's nice that we have a choice.

It's pretty hard to screw up wearing a wedge. How many bad berets have you seen worn? There are a number of people that cannot figure out how to form one and end up looking like Chef Tony. I much prefer the wedge, it fits in my flight suit nicely and looks better than pizza head berets.

Slow morning for me, so I'll jump in. I believe Forage Cap refers to the old unigreen, "Forage Green" cap. I think it is actually a peak cap, or maybe peaked? As for the wedge, it needs to be worn at a jaunty angle, to look remotely good. Those who wear it down the middle, aspire to NDHQ, not flight. The wedge colour should be changed to match the flying suit, also. The blend of green ( or tan) flying suit with blue ranks and name tapes, and green heraldic and unit patch is getting too busy. maybe a green wedge with blue piping? At any rate, orange flying suit and beret all the way.

kj_gully said:
The wedge colour should be changed to match the flying suit, also. The blend of green ( or tan) flying suit with blue ranks and name tapes, and green heraldic and unit patch is getting too busy. maybe a green wedge with blue piping?

Even better, make a peak cap that matches the flight suit.

brian_k said:
Even better, make a peak cap that matches the flight suit.

Why ?

So that i we have one more thing to stuff into my helmet bag ?

CDN Aviator said:

I just happen to like the peak cap, that doesnt mean anyone else has to, and yes there are times when it is inconvenient but so far it doesnt bother me that much. I havent had it to long though so that may change.

brian_k said:
I just happen to like the peak cap, that doesnt mean anyone else has to,

True that theres no accounting for taste. I had one during basic training and it was a PITA and i'm glad we got rid of it then ( used to be army).

and yes there are times when it is inconvenient but so far it doesnt bother me that much. I havent had it to long though so that may change.

I dont know where the fighter guys would put it. I dont think any of the helo guys would have a good spot for it. I sure dont have any room for it in my aircraft since it would end up getting wrecked anyways. i would say the same about transports ( minus the Airbus). So i would say that the wedge or beret would overwhelmingly be worn.

Pardon my intrusion into the thread, but I've read the whole thing and am a little confused.  As I'm not in the RegF proper quite yet, I'm having a hard time identifying the caps of which you speak.  The only one I really recognize (through my time in Air cadets many moons ago) is the Air Force Wedge.  I've tried looking for examples of this through google and such, but it seems most articles kinda lump together the wedge, the Forage Cap, and the Peak cap as the same item.  Are these all very similar?  Because from reading this so far, there seem to be some vast differences.  Does anyone have a definitive link that can help sort this out for me?

Again, pardon for hijacking the thread.

Wedge: worn by AF males & females

AF beret: worn by AF males & females

Peak Cap: blue coloured cap with peak worn by AF males ranking CWO and above with Ceremonial Dress (also comes in black/white combo for the Navy guys ... all naval males can wear this item).

Bowler: blue coloured "bowler" hat worn by AF females ranking CWO and above with Ceremonial Dress (also comes in black/white combo for the Navy gals ... all naval females can wear this item).

Forage Cap: Old Service dress "peak cap" (green in colour) -- before the CF went "tri-service"

Back