• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force's CADPAT name-tag & rank

• Thread starter Thread starter Yard Ape
  • Start date Start date
Duey said:
Nope, in fact DLR 5 was sporting a spiffy pair at a meeting I was at   in 101 a few days ago...nice green plastic sole, too!   You Army folks will have totally outdone the AF and its meagre attempt at sillyness with our spiffy blue tags and slip-ons. ;D

Yes, yes, we do our share of silly things.

If I remember correctly, the CADPAT boots are a go, and are supposed to replace combat boots FOR FIELD USE ONLY.  Now, I don't wanna be propagating any unfounded runmours here, so if anyone can either support that or disprove it....help?

CFL said:
How fitting.   I like part 2

al ·ba ·tross     ( P )   Pronunciation Key   (lb-trôs, -trs)
1.   n. pl. albatross or al ·ba ·tross ·es
Any of several large web-footed birds constituting the family Diomedeidae, chiefly of the oceans of the Southern Hemisphere, and having a hooked beak and long narrow wings.

2A.   A constant, worrisome burden.
2B.   An obstacle to success.

For the record, the bird that the Air Force uses as a symbol is an Eagle- it is not an albatross or even a seagull.

Ref:  http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/traddocs/trada_e.asp

I think it's best to stop that part of the discussion and it is not wise to slam a symbol especially when you do not know what it is.  Let alone using that definition to describe a part of the CF.

Cheers.

Hey sunshine if you can't take a joke then you may want to stay away from internet  forums.  I commented on what another member said about the bird.  I could give a ---- what kind of bird it is.  In the moment I put up the DICTIONARY description.  Don't have a sense of humor do we.

No problem, just making sure all understand what the facts are before the thread gets hijacked. . .

Sunshine out.

48Highlander said:
Yes, yes, we do our share of silly things.

If I remember correctly, the CADPAT boots are a go, and are supposed to replace combat boots FOR FIELD USE ONLY.  

In my years I've seen us do more than our share. ::)

As to the second part, why look for a good replacement for the Mk III if we're still going to wear them in Garrison. Field or garrison, it's a lousy boot that ruins feet. Personally, I can't see it. Post your sources please on the "Field Use Only".

http://www.airforce.ca/index2.php3?page=about#eagle

Albatross or eagle the answer is in here.

January 1943 this general badge of the RCAFwas approved by H.M. the King. The Chester Herald's description ofthe badge clearly and specifically refers to the bird in the design asâ Å“an eagle volant affronte, the head lowered and to the sinister.â ? In short, it was still an eagle and always had been ­ although thealbatross was a very nice bird, too

recceguy said:
In my years I've seen us do more than our share. ::)

As to the second part, why look for a good replacement for the Mk III if we're still going to wear them in Garrison. Field or garrison, it's a lousy boot that ruins feet. Personally, I can't see it. Post your sources please on the "Field Use Only".

Recceguy,

I don't get it either...what ever happened to "train like you fight"?  Surely we're not so hurting for cash (i.e. put what we get in the right places!) that we think that keeping Mk III's for Garrison only is some kind of way to save money for other things... ::)

...although I will say, the MkIII is still better than that silly Garrison boot that somebody thooght up for the 'abortive' attempt as Garrison dress years ago.

Back on topic, has anyone seen CADPAT(AR) slip-ons and name tape in AF blue?  I'm off to Kabul in a bit and I'm picking up my AR in a few weeks.  Maybe I should stay quiet and go into theatre in "stealth mode"? ;D

Cheers,
Duey

yes i have seen em all it is , is sewn in blue  thats it with the bird instead of the crossed swords or anchor

So on the topic of this thread.

To get this straight, that standard is for the eagle to be to the right of the name, when looking at the name tape (say from an inspection perspective).  I read the CANFORGEN posted on the first page, but just wanted to clarify because i have seen it both ways.

Thanks for your input ladies and gents.  Oh and for the record, i always thought it was an Albatross as well...good to know.

cheers

PV

Looking at the mbr you see the name, followed by the eagle on the right-all in dark blue lettering with a border in dark blue as well.

Speaking of CADPAT, have you guys seen our new coverall?
Its a CADPAT 2 pieces and we can unzip the pants to make it look like a short. The ranks goes on the shoulders and the top part looks more like a jacket.
cheers

TB said:
Speaking of CADPAT, have you guys seen our new coverall?
Its a CADPAT 2 pieces and we can unzip the pants to make it look like a short. The ranks goes on the shoulders and the top part looks more like a jacket.
cheers

Well, I had worked with Doug Palmer (a.k.a. Mr. Clothe the Soldier) years ago when 10 TAG and FMC were still both alive...we were working on the converged CADPAT between LF and 10 TAG pers back in '96.  We were trying to get a one-piece converged design for aircrew and crewman...nomex, CADPAT, etc... to save on costs and other things.  The follow-on was going to be a CADPAT on NOMEX 2-pc flight suit that us guys in Tac Hel could wear.  In the end, the AF shot down the CADPAT 2-pc/NOMEX deal for a number of reasons...not the lest of which was then LGen Lloyd Campbell (then CAS) being heard to say, "there''ll be Aiur Force personnel in camouflage flying suits over my dead body!"  Well...when the CAS won't support the boys in the cockpit/field, what the heck can you do?  I'd still like to see both TW and AR CADPAT 2-pc flying suits in NOMEX, but the real world commonality, integrated, look like everybody else apparently is still not strong enough to outweigh senseless and unjustified personnel opinion that becomes policy because someone has more leaves on their shoulder than the warfighters in front with chevrons and bars....ooops, sorry....that was a bit rantish wasn't it?  :-[

Cheers,
Duey

Duey

Update yourself dude   ;D.   They will be testing four submission of CADPAT FR 2 Pce flight suit/crew suit this fall.   The battle has been won and 1 Wing and the Army are very close to winning the war on this issue.

I'm surprised no-one has taken issue with the wedge worn with Cadpat. The blue wedge is definitely distinctive! :rage: The drive of the "new" Airforce is to be relavent (sp?) and deployable. The Army should applaud the Airforce for wearing Camo at all! There is an incredible amount of heel dragging within the Airforce community to be battle ready. Blue insignia? Not much chance that anyone from the big blue will ever be so close to the enemy that the blue will make a difference. When it comes to SERE, best to be sterile anyway so leave it at home when you go fly missions. Maybe the CF should abandon saluting in Cadpat?  :salute:? Don't freak out... the salute as a mark of respect has its place.If you are summoned to an office, or on parade it is simple to know who to salute and when. You must admit that the salute is a difficult custom to maintain in the Airforce anyway. The Aircrew of any plane eat live and fight together, and seldom salute each other when together as crew. When I walk with my crew to meals, or to my 5 star lodgings ;), I do not salute my collegues who fly the plane, and on the days that I am not flying in their crew, it is uncomfortable and unnatural for all when I do give them the marks of respect they deserve. There is very little headdress on the hangar line, probably to alleviate the necessity of constant saluting. ( don't jump on me with the "FOD" argument, it's an excuse imo) I think this is a viable option, and would end the problem.

kj_gully said:
I'm surprised no-one has taken issue with the wedge worn with Cadpat. The blue wedge is definitely distinctive! :rage: The drive of the "new" Airforce is to be relavent (sp?) and deployable. The Army should applaud the Airforce for wearing Camo at all! There is an incredible amount of heel dragging within the Airforce community to be battle ready. Blue insignia? Not much chance that anyone from the big blue will ever be so close to the enemy that the blue will make a difference. When it comes to SERE, best to be sterile anyway so leave it at home when you go fly missions. Maybe the CF should abandon saluting in Cadpat?   :salute:? Don't freak out... the salute as a mark of respect has its place.If you are summoned to an office, or on parade it is simple to know who to salute and when. You must admit that the salute is a difficult custom to maintain in the Airforce anyway. The Aircrew of any plane eat live and fight together, and seldom salute each other when together as crew. When I walk with my crew to meals, or to my 5 star lodgings ;), I do not salute my collegues who fly the plane, and on the days that I am not flying in their crew, it is uncomfortable and unnatural for all when I do give them the marks of respect they deserve. There is very little headdress on the hangar line, probably to alleviate the necessity of constant saluting. ( don't jump on me with the "FOD" argument, it's an excuse imo) I think this is a viable option, and would end the problem.

Kj, a small minority of the powder-blue air force actually not only doesn't mind wearing CADPAT, we actually prefer to.   In fact, notwithstanding that a previous CAS said "there'll be CADPAT flying gear over my dead body" (thanks for thinking of the troops, sir!) I think you'll find tac hel guys don't get fussed over trying to wear blue crap at every opportunity.   My blue beret (properly formed, not like how Gen Baril used to wear it   ;D ) is about as much blue as I'll ever want to wear in my life time.   I have to tear my house apart to find that wedgie thing whenever a parade comes up with 1A's.  

It was funny to not the rest of the aircrew in the air force making jokes about our 2-pc tac hel flying suits in the late 80's/early 90's..."looks like crap", "whacha doing?   Trying to play army?", etc.... funny how they started to wear the stuff once they actually started to fly to and from things that didn't always have a 5-star hotel.

Anywhooo...the day that we get the 2-pc NOMEX CADPAT flying gear that we've been asking for (for at least 9 years, back in 96 I worked with PD CTS, Doug Palmer to get this stuff, but "true blue" AF officers higher up the chain continue to shut down such efforts) and we put up with a few more years of the air force joking about relish pajamas, etc... I'll be a happy camper...imagine, some decent, tactical/operational clothing to go with that kick-*** big-honking helicopter with 7.62mm mini-guns bristling out the doors and ramps that the CDS is going to get me next year!

Hu-ah! :D

Cheers,
Duey

*edited for speeling*

Until it changes, there are distinctive characteristic and cultural differences between the elements.
Some units allow a standard of dress that may not be common in the wider military. I've seen
specific ball caps and unit T-shirts being acceptable for dress of the day.  So what?  Depending
of the deployment, CADPAT dress for AirForce is subject modification and variations in kitting more
in line with the Army.  I guess you can look at everything from a combat arms point of view but its
often forgotten by some theres a wider military out there.

On the issue of CADPAT and its Airforce link - has anyone seen the new rigs that 500 series techs are wearing on the flight line?  They have zip off CADPAT pants which do not blouse, along with a CADPAT tunic of the old OD style (ie epaulets on shoulders).  The shorts look comfy and must make it more bearable for the boys on the flight line - the lack of blousing of the pants looks IMHO shoddy...

nope - i have only seen it in action while at work - apparently it is a pretty new piece of kit - Comox is always the first base to get it - they start distributing from West to East.

Back