• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things CF Firefighter (merged)

Hmmm, an Infantry Phase II comparison.  I didn't think anyone on this thread would be aware that, other than myself.  Thanks for the flashbacks!  By the way, I had time for coffee on my Phase II....I opened the little paper packet of coffee grinds from my IMP, and threw them down the hatch.  Somewhat bitter, but effective when on OP :boring:.  Next time I'll try it with a little water, perhaps.  It's so easy to laugh about it now

Chimo! 

Hey all,

I know i havn't posted on this thread in awhile but i have been reading with interest. 

Just wanted to let you guys know that i got scooped up by a civy firm, a rather large North American environmental company doing HAZMAT emergency response and confined space rescue.  Just wanted to thank you guys )Scottt, buddy, Heatwave etc.) for all the questions you answered for me regarding FF in the forces, which i will never completely rule out but i have always been real keen into hazmat stuff, i am super pumped!  I will continue to serve my country in my current roll as a proud Officer within the CIC.  Thanks again.

cheers,

PV

PV,

Out of curiousity, who are you working for? Weblink?

Congrats to you PViddy, glad we could held and good luck in your new job..

Cheers..

Just wondering if there are any CF Firefighters on here. I am new and start basic training in Sept. Just need a few tips and i have a few questions??  Like what kind of shift do they run in the CF fire halls??? 12 hour/24 hour??  Anyway any messgs from CF fire ftrs appreciated.....thanks

This is my 2nd posting on this forum,

just wondering if there are any CF firefighters on here i just got hired and have some questions. Any FF please reply back or anyone that works with the FF's or knows them please let me know. I start my basic in Sept. and just have questions......any info appreciated.....thanks

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27279.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12894.0.html

I am just wondering what do u think my chances would be of doing  a vot from a lineman to a firefighter i am curently in borden with no course dates??

I'm not in recruiting, nor will I pretend to be an expert in it.  This being said, I viewed your avatar and there is very little info.  Some info that I require, in which to give you some sort of response/hope, is:  What is your education?
What is your background CF history (VOT from Lineman - how many years in this trade)?
When did you enrol in the CF?

If you wish to keep this info private, please feel free to PM myself.  Again, I'm not a recruiter, but I can give you some info regarding this.

Chimo!

ya im on pretc and my lineman course wont even start till next year i figure this is the best time to do my transfer i been in since jan did my bmq and sq but i realize i wanna be a firefighter

Well then, the one thing you obviously have going for you is.....time.  However, without already being qualified in a trade, I don't truly know if you can perform an OT, without first finding out if you qualify for your original trade.  The second issue is that the Fire Service is also rather backed up with a large waiting list.  I'd speculate that, on average, the personnel awaiting for the Fire Service is approximately a year.  After all, even back in 1989/90, I had to wait 8 months.....and that was long before PRETC existed.  I would imagine that you likely have some personnel awaiting FF trg serving with PRETC right now. 

In retrospect, being so new to the CF, I do know that you'd be of more interest to the Fire Service.  However, with no FF background mentioned, it may be difficult to compete against others.  You see, there is such an interest in this trade, that the recruiters can afford to be particular in who they choose.  Although the prerequisite for joining the Fire Service is minimal, there does seem to be a tendency to prefer certain qualifications (ie: Firefighter Level II).  I know that if KinCanucks is reading this, he can likely weigh in on it with more accuracy. 

Either way, you won't know unless you try.  The bright side is that, the closer you are to your "20" (or should I say "25") the less interested the Fire Service is in you.

Good Luck :salute:

a firefighter cousre had jsut started and there were 2 ppl on with no prior expierience and i was told the trade was in high demand right now cause alot of ppl leave and go civi after there 5's but the and as for the expierience i am trained this should help me a little bit ? there are no firefighters in borden right now on pat witch means they dont have the next course filled yet

If you meet the basic requirements for firefighter than you ask for as an OT trade if it is available to you but honestly I think you are stuck as a Lineman. Good luck.

Lineman is an excellent trade. Don't give up yet!
I'll check to see when you are slated for a course and get back to you.
Not saying there is anything wrong with Firefighter but I believe you will find Lineman very rewarding!
Don't lose hope we have doubled our trg in Kingston

wire dog what is your current status i would like to talk to you before making any career moves

Gentlemen, the use of Capital letters and spellcheck would be appreciated.

Back