• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things joining the military (but not wanting to deploy) - merged

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDN Aviator

I'm sorry. Please let me rephrase.

SHUT THE frig UP !

Dude that was so frign funny I damn near spit my coke all over my keybored  thanks I needed a good laugh .

Hi
I am considering joining the Canadian Forces as an Aircraft Structures Technician.
I am 32 years old married with 2 kids.

Why Aircraft Structures Technician?
Before I immigrated to Canada, I was an Aircraft Structures & Aviation Systems Technician in the Israeli Air force (Bell 212) for 7 years...

Why joining the Canadian Forces?
I want to help & contribute to the Canadian Forces in the skills that I have and mastered.

My questions:
Is an overseas deployment mandatory in this job, Can I refuse to been deployed overseas?
If I wish to quit the army, what are the release terms?

Thank you very much.
*English as a second language, viewer "patience" is advised! ;)

I'll get the first response out of the way, if you don't want to go where you are told don't join.

Second, more detailed response.  You can refuse, or rather be screened out of a deployment for a variety of legitimate reasons including: illness, severe family hardship, recent return from deployment, and the like.  If it is for other reasons you are basically refusing a lawful command and will face disciplinary action that may result in fines, imprisionment, and/or release.

Third response, don't bother joining if the first question that come to you mind is how you get out of a mission.

Fourth response, don't bother joining if the second question that comes to mind is how to quit.

There are variety of ways to release, the most common of which is your terms of service expire and you and the CF go your seperate ways, sometimes with a pension.  Otherwise you can request release at anytime, it may or may not be granted depending on: a. your reason, b. how long you have served, c. do you have obligatory service.  If you have obligatory service you may still be granted a release but will have to pay back in cash what you have not paid in time.

Your English is fine - better than many here.

Your motivation and expectations, perhaps not so much.

You can refuse any deployment or posting. This will, however, result in release and perhaps disciplinary or administrative action depending upon the circumstances.

Why even apply if you are not willing to do the whole job? We have a policy known as "Universality of Service", which applies to all serving members - if one cannot deploy for other than short-term reasons (injury or illness from which one will recover, for example), then one can expect to be released in fairly short order.

Your refusal would mean that somebody else, likely with a family of his/her own and who has also likely already done a deployment or two, would have to go again. That is not looked upon very kindly.

You would be awful funny looking, being in the "Army" while wanting to be an "air craft Structures Tech".

:)

A.R.X-D said:
Can I refuse to been deployed overseas?

Some discussion here.

"Quick question about having to deploy after training.":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/89177.0/nowap.html

"Let's say I completed BMQ, SQ, etc and at some time down the line my battalion/unit was called to Afghanistan and I refused to go."

Hi,

Is there a position in the Regular force that is less entitled to deployment on a national scale or overseas? Like a position in the Naval Force or as a social worker?

Thank you

scorpion147 said:
Is there a position in the Regular force that is less entitled to deployment on a national scale or overseas? Like a position in the Naval Force or as a social worker?
I might regret this, but I'm curious:  why would you think that a part of the military that sends ships to sea may be more likely to have positions that involve staying in one place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back