• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Joint Sigs Regt/JSR (merged)

Hey folks.  Myself and about 6 others just got our posting messages and we're coming to JSR at the end of March from ACISS DP1.0 over at CFSCE.  We've heard a ton of differeng rumors from so many different people about the unit and such that most of us are just confused lol.  Is there anyone here who's got recent experience at JSR and can give us an idea of what to expect?  Thanks in advance.

The only unit that truely has time for all the training required is CFSCE, and how are they making out with that???

But  they never mentioned the 3 sacred words...sigh.  Those were probably there with all the other stuff that we got told about but never learned.  A bunch of the guys are moving their families here for the first time so any info along those lines would be good too.  And fyi out of 23 grads about 17 are going to brigade...and 6 to JSR.  The ones who were interested in what JDR does and requested it.

Ahhh, you're coming in just in time for my leave ending ... so I can meet you at the ring of fire to supervise. Swell.

PT, 5 days a week - a given.
Exercises - a given.
Busy as hell Ops tasks - a given.

Anything else - is gravy.

We work hard; we play hard and the damn cooks feed us too well. I love them.

There are some threads on the site here about living in Kingston, buying houses here, areas to live etc for any of your interested friends.

Thanks a bunch for that info ArmyVern , the PT will be great to get back into as we're definitely not where we want to be on that.  I know I'm personally looking forward to actually doing stuff and being useful, well...sorta useful at least.  The vast majority of us are just depressed at this point since from our experience at CFSCE and 2 CMBG as soon as someone finds out your ACISS they recoil in horror and send you off to the corner since they're afraid we'll break anything we touch.  Though I'm really hoping to learn any of the things that the website for JSR says they do, SATCOMS excite me. (I'm a nerd).

Have you heard about if they split the ACISS up by the specialty they want/hope they get to do, like LST/IST/CST/CORE?  Do we no-hooks get to participate in the EX's/Tasks in a meaningful way? or even at all?

Very cool, even though I'm thinking I want to be IST (Whenever I say that every staff member at CFSCE laughs and gives me this odd look  :-[ ) our course at the last minute got two days of lineman stuff added like how to work with CAT-5e and we now have a day on the field ex where we act as a line det, it was actually pretty fun! Maybe I'll change my mind and go for LST heh.

On Grad Day, the Sgt that is looking after the training for all the DP1 soldiers coming to CFJSR will meet you at the reception (I may be there as well).

You will be administered by 1 Sqn A Tp and we will look after you for about the first month to give you all time to relocate your families and effects if required.  In Apr you will be split up and do time in Sp Sqn/TM Tp to do a bit of CST work, 1 Sqn/B Tp for IST, 1 Sqn/A Tp for the Tac Rad, and if they have pers avail, in 1 Line Sqn for LST.

Yes you will do exercises as they come up during your trg, as well as PT daily.  Deployment will depend on which Sqn you go to and what your role is in that Sqn, but you may end up overseas in your first couple of years at the Regt.

As for what sub-occ you will be placed will depend on aptitude, need and want.  If, for example, there is no room for any more IST at the Regt, you will not get slated into one of those positions.  Where you will end up, you may not know until Aug once everything is sorted out.

See you in March.

MMMM nom nom nom.....fresh meat!!!!You guys are going to a great place with great folks. Stay on receive for the most part during you first little bit there. You'll get all the support you need WRT moving families and all that good stuff.

Welcome!

J.

Ah...............poor guys....................I hate it when I can see a gleam in the instructor's eye.............through print... ::)

GAP said:
Ah...............poor guys....................I hate it when I can see a gleam in the instructor's eye.............through print... ::)

Ahhh GAP, jealousy will get you everywhere my friend!!  >:D

Not only a gleam in their eye, but drooling too!! sheesh!  ;D

Fortunatly for them, they will not be near Vern or Jammer.

But they are stuck with me  >:D

211RadOp said:
Fortunatly for them, they will not be near Vern or Jammer.

But they are stuck with me  >:D

My bubble IS my ring of fire. Hint:  Book them an appointment for their visit to us (so I know dates & times).  >:D

Heh, well at least you folks seem eager to receive us (Thanks again for taking the time to respond and give us more details).  Its going to be great interacting with a CoC who doesn't treat us like we have the plague lol.

Some of the guys (not me, I'm single and have a house here already) are moving their families here for their first taste of military life, and we've heard widely different views on how much 'away from home' time to expect.  Realizing the differences between troops/roles, is there a general amount I can pass on?  Such as expect to be home 1 week a month?  (Which is what we've heard quite a bit).

Also, is this website up-to-date and somewhat accurate?  I'll pass this on to the guys as well if it is...
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/asu_kingston/cfjsr.aspx

And 211RadOp, that bit about going on exercises and deployments sounds awesome! That's my morale booster for the week :D

Edit:  One more question that I was asked to ask, A few of the guys don't have security clearances, they had to miss a few classes here because of it, and are wondering if that's going to have a big effect on them when they get to JSR.  Thanks Again for your time.

ringo598 said:

And 211RadOp, that bit about going on exercises and deployments sounds awesome! That's my morale booster for the week :D

I'm just the RQ, but I hope that you exercise often because that keeps my cooks busy and out of my hair (when they aren't fattening me). Watch out for RadOp211 though ... nasty guy he is. Seriously.

Yeah...I think I might want to be hitting the track more.  Ahh well, its the army, suck it up and get better.

Are any of these new guys coming into the JSR qualified web design and graphic design on civi street by any chance?

I went to St Lawrence for computer engineering and software development, I can make webpages in html/css/java and stuff, my photoshop skills are rusty though.  Are we talking server side development like SQL/PHP or just "Make a website that isn't a can of smashed assholes"?

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one, I'll double check with my course and our sister course if anyone coming has dev skills. 

Forget it mate...back to the website cave with you. No sense in crushing thier will to live quite yet...lol.

Noooo!  Not the cave....send me on a 10k run instead anything but the cave.  I did a quick check today...we have one guy with Sysco network certs and thats it.  And now off to the field to learn about setting up dets!  Well...once we find a milcot to slave start our lsvw's...all 8 of them won't start today lol.

Back