• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things LASIK surgery (aircrew/other -- merged)

This might have been gone over before, but i'm wondering: How do fellow cadets see cadets who use to be in the Army, Air, or Sea Cadets? How many are there? How well do they do, if at all? Does Cadets help? If so, how much? If not, why not?

For the most part at RMC it's a non-issue.  No one really cares if someone was in cadets or not.  On BOTC some people, one individual in particular, let it be known that having been cadets they were superior in some way.  Unfortunately they did not realize that the fact that you were a cadet chief warrant means jack all in the real forces.  The most vocal individual was eventually released when it turned out he was entirely useless.  Cadet experiences may be helpful in some ways, I wouldn't know as I was never one, and as long as you use them constructively no one will have a problem with it.  In the end I don't think there is any real difference between those who were in cadets or not and as long as no one actively makes an issue out of it, it won't become one.

I second what Spinaker said. I have seen my fair share of former cadets get torn apart by directing staff for being smartasses. On one occasion, i have even seen a former cadet try to correct a MCpl, only to be jacked up like I have not seen since. That said, if you don't let it go to your head at all, it gives you a good grounding and will enable you to help others out. Just remember though, even if you are a former cadet, it means nothing in the real world and don't try to say it does. Once you get to basic, you should know only one thing, and that one thing is that you know nothing. They will teach you everything you need to know.

When I did BOTC (in Chilliwack) there were two of us in the female MOD who had cadet experience.  It was actuallt very useful when it came time to get ready for inspections.  One of us would pollish boots, the other would do the ironing, and we would both of us would make the beds while the rest of the MOD would do the rest of the kit.  It was a very good arrangement -- have people do what they are strong at.  This is probably the only way that it helped.

Cadets is very good movement, it allows for youth to participate in semi military activites and gives them a small yet lasting impression on the armed forces on th whole. RMC does prefer having an applicant that has some experience in the Cadets or Resv becasue they know that you know what is expected and you have be trained for years in some cases to learn obey and adapt. I am very proud to be a Cadet and I can quite frankley say I joined Cadets becasue I intend on Going to RMC and serving my country, since I am a minor I will do what the law permits me to do. Woudl you A) take some know it all "geek" from school who has no actual military exp other than Halo who is looking for a free ride and is out after 5 years of mandatory service or B) An intelligent but not brilliant guy who has some experience in the ways of the army, who is ready to serve his country and is fit to participate in the CF! :salute: :cdn: thats what I though!!!!!
UBIQUE!!!!

This thread intrigues me, and, being a student at the RMC, I would like to post several concerns:

"Ring knockers" :
By and large a myth - at least from what I have viewed in my four years here.  Since I joind the College in 2001, Cadets in higher years than myself who are truly dedicated to the CF have constantly warned me of the "ring knocker" ideology, and to avoid playing into it.  From what I have viewed here at the College throughout my second, third, and fourth year, I have seen no evidence that points towards Officer Cadets playing into this idea.  I cannot speak for officers who have continued on to their regiments, but when military personnel I meet find out I am from RMC (i.e. when on leave/in town, etc.),, they automatically joke about me being a "ring knocker", thus supporting my statement that this is a myth, since I am most definately not.  This idea has lived in the CF for a long time, and is passed onwards constantly to new members as far as I have seen as an insult.

Arrogant Cadets:
I would like to attack this point from a different angle that has yet to be covered.  First of all, as previously stated, you will run into people like this all over the place regardless of where you end up, whether these people come from RMC or not.  Tying in to the "ring knocker" theory, many Cadets at the College are dedicated to constantly pursuing higher professionalism, as the majority of us desire to become more proficient in our future careers.  In doing this, we place a strong onus on the officer-NCO relationship.
I will not lie and say that all Cadets here are dedicated to future CF careers.  There are those who are here simply for a degree or were recruited for varsity level sports.  This is unfortunate, but there are also recruits who join the CF for the wrong reasons as well and must also be dealt with.

Officer-NCO Relationship:
As previously given, many of us going fresh to regiment have a lot to learn upon arrival.  We must learn our job as well as establish good relationships with our subordinates and superiors.  Overall, NCOs can not blame officers just as officers cannot blame NCOs - it is each individual's responsibilty to work hard towards establishing good working ties.  And, if an officer is definitely unfit for command (another fear that floats around), it is most likely that he/she will be replaced, just as an NCO will be if he/she is lax in their duties.

Future Military Candidates (ROTP, RETP, CIVY U, etc.):
If you are accepted to RMC or civilian university, I strongly recommend that you take the offer if you wish to become an officer.  It is possible to become an officer through DEO (direct entry officer - having a degree already is a prerequisite), or as a UTPNCM (University Training Plan NCM [commissioning from the ranks]).  However, there are some problems concerning these choices.
DEO - After two years of waiting, my brother has finally been accepted as a pilot through the DEO program.  I know of several others who have been put on the waiting list for this long or longer, without receiving a message.  This may not be the case for all people applying, but I believe there are fewer slots for this option, decreasing the chances of getting it.  Many people try to take this route as well, so do not become confident that you will get it right away.
UTPNCM - I have talked to several UTs whom I have gotten to know over the years, and they have told me that it is a tough selection to make, as there are few slots available.  Any UTs who find this to be incorrect, please post a correction as I am most definately not as informed to the process as you are.  In addition, you will not even be eligible until a certain amount of time.
Overall, DEO and UTPNCM are both viable options.  However, if being an officer is what you are really interested in and you are given the offer, I recommend you take it.  Just because you are accepted now does not mean that you will be in the future.
I also agree with the statements that officers should come from the ranks, as these people are more aware going into their units as to how things are run.  However, this is not the case, and many good officers have come and gone without prior military experience.

Discipline at RMC:
To all those who have already, knock it if you want.  However, I warn those people who do (especially first/second years), please do not become hypocrites.  Before the College's problems are posted nation-wide, think to yourselves when the last time was that you picked up a piece of random garbage, told someone to wear their wedge properly, or inform someone they are not wearing appropriate dress for the mess?  Just because you are first and second years does not give you the ability to turn your head away and pretend you did not see anything.  This point also applies to all Cadets in general.  It is just as much your responsibility to help ensure CADWINS are followed as it is a generic fourth year slasher.  And I can guarantee that most of these people who complain about discipline and the actions of others have done nothing else to try and rectify the problem.  For example, I have seen more heads turn away from improperly dressed Cadets than I have seen attempts to correct them.  Corrections do not necessarily have to be jackings, they can be friendly gestures to keep people out of trouble.
All units have their own sets of problems to work out - but it is the actions each individual takes in upholding the rules, not complaining online, that solve the problems.

In conclusion, I want to make it clear I am in no way attacking any person who has posted on this forum.  The above listed are my concerns alone, which I feel should be addressed concerning the "politics" of the Royal Military College of Canada.
I wear my ring, I do not knock it; I am enthusiastic about the career I will be launching myself into in several months; I hope I have good NCOs working under me when I go to regiment, just as I hope to serve them well and earn their respect; and, I am proud to come from this place.  Everyone has pride from the things they have done in the past, and I do not believe RMC should have to be excluded simply because there are bad impressions of the place, many spurring from people who have never been there, but have simply heard rumours.
I am still very new to the CF and do not have the experience that many people who post here do, but these are my views to date.

Cheers.

Out of curiosity, if I had laser eye surgery, and applied to the air force with the hopes of being a pilot, how would they ever know if I had laser eye surgery?

They would ask you, "did you ever have laser eye surgery?" to which you would respond "why yes I have." It's called honesty and it should be number on your list of virtues for being an officer in the Canadian Armed Forces.

Hi all,
I am seeking help from those here who have had Lasik or similar eye surgery.

Due to the new vision standards, I am now on the edge of V3 and V4. It's possible I will not qualify for my chosen occupation at my medical.

So, I am considering laser eye surgery in case I end up V4. I am researching this as fully as possible. I have read all the posts here, and I am aware of the implications for CF service.

There's lots of marketing stuff on the 'net, and testimonials are nice but biased towards the positive. Not much unbiased, real life info in my research so far. So I'm looking for experiences and info from those of you who have had laser eye surgery.  What was it like for you â “ really? Were there complications, how long did it take to stabilize your vision, did you get decent results, how has it impacted you at work and play, etc.

I know some may not want to go public with their experiences, please PM me if you wish. I will not post any info given via PM.

If you are in the Toronto area, any info concerning your doctor would be appreciated, too.

Many thanks.

Oh i got the goods my friend, I did it about 10 years ago.  The actual surgery is pretty painless.  They used eye drops that numbed my eyes.  The laser itself is kinda cool.  I saw it as a small blue dot in my eye making a clicking sound.  I actually felt the laser as being cool, temperature wise.  My whole procedure took about 10 minutes.  It's the week after that I didnt enjoy.  As the eyes heal, you have to wear a protective contact lense that covers the eye until the healing process occurs, you can see through this contact as it's clear but, any light exposure to your eye feels like knives digging into them!  I was pretty much only active at night with no light for the first little while.

Now, I was 20/200 in my left eye and 20/300 in my right.  I am now 20/20 individually with 20/15 combined vision.  Would I recommend it..............you bet ya!  A week is nothing for the lifetime of freedom from glasses.

This is kind of a dumb question guys, but how much does this usually cost?I'm sure it can probably vary quite a bit... I hear ads on the radio for $500 off eye surgery, but using coupons for a medical procedure seems...unsettling.

I would love to experience an exercise without the annoyance of glasses or contacts.

I have never had the surgery myself but me and the family got it for my dad as a birthday present last year. Although I have no specifics as to vision standards before and after the surgery, his results were in his words 'Amazing'. From wearing glasses as a necessity for 55+ years to having daytime 20/20 it was a pretty remarkable thing.

The surgery was quick, painless and he had no major complications whatsoever. He did have some blurry spots in his vision for the first few days but they slowly disappeared over the course of a few weeks.

I would however arrange a consultation at the clinic of your choosing as soon as possible though...due to the thickness of some people's cornea it may not be possible to 're-shape' it as required.

Do your due diligence and research but as far as the old man recommending it, I know for sure he'd echo MP 811's comments as well.

cheers.

I feel your pain... I'm right on the edge now with the new standards.

Corrected I have 6/6 (20/20) and 6/60 in my right 6/90 in my left uncorrected. Fortunately I'll get into the army, unfortunately it may not be the infantry. I've been trying to find out a little more about a newer procedure that involves wearing contact lenses at night that re-shape the eye to improve vision. Not too much info on it so far. Best of luck, I'm looking at getting lasered asap.

Hi,

It'll be a month tommorrow that I had my eyes corrected with laser surgery.  (TLC Halifax)

Lasik as it's called, is a pretty simple and quick procedure.  The thing that probably bothered me the most was all the testing.  It seemed they did the same tests, measuring of the eye, etc.. about 3 times.  (Remember though, it's your eyes, and it's pretty much a one shot deal.)

I found shortly after the procedure there is a strong burning sensation in your eyes, especially if it's a sunny day on your way home from the clinic.  Even with the dark glasses they give you, it burns, really burns when the local anesthetic wears off, which is about an hour after.

My best advise is right after surgery is go home and sleep.  I was so wired up after, I was pacing the floors!!!  After a little while I did take about a 4 hour nap and it did wonders. 

Your vision will come and go for the first couple of weeks really.  Alot of the blurry vision I blame on the antibiotic and antiswelling drops they give you.  This stuff is pretty thick and milky, one bottle of drops you actually have to shake, so that tells you it's thick.  You're only on this stuff for 4 days.  Some days are crystal clear, others a little blurry.  Don't panic, it's just your eyes healing.  Right now, everything is perfect, 20/20 all the way.  Some mornings my eyes seem a little tired, but that's just the dryness, no big deal.

I would recommend to anyone to get this done.  I'll repeat what I've heard from everyone else who had it done....  "I WISH I HAD DONE THIS YEARS AGO!!!"  Worth every penny.

I was a -7.5 in both eyes, very poor vision, I've come a long way.  The price?  $4300.00.  I had conventional Lasik, custom would have been about $1000.00 more.  I wanted the custom but I wouldn't of had enough flesh on my eye in case I needed a touch up after.  Both are equally effective, same results, the custom uses more computer tech. for the measuring and testing aspect from what I understand.

The best of luck, you won't regret it....

Regards,

Don

i would also look into the military's position on laser eye surgery.

An exerpt from a CANFORGEN:

LASER EYE SURGERY

Laser eye surgery for the correction of refractive error (usually near-sightedness) is becoming more popular among military personnel.  The procedure is heavily promoted by private clinics in most provinces.  HAVING THIS PROCEDURE DONE CAN HAVE SIGNIFICANT ADMINISTRATIVE AND CAREER CONSEQUENCES FOR MILITARY PERSONNEL.  No military member should undergo this procedure without first obtaining the consent of the CO pertaining to the period of temporary category and operational restrictions.  Once this consent is obtained the member will meet with the MO to be placed on temporary category.

It is important for military members to be aware of the following points:

1.  The procedure is not funded by DND.  This includes doctor's fees, facility fees, medications, travel, and accommodations.  No sick leave or excused duty is granted by the CF Medical Services.
2. Personnel who have had the procedure are placed on a temporary 6-month  medical restriction.  This precludes deployments and prohibits the driving of military vehicles. 
3. There are more significant repercussions for personnel attempting to be fit for flying or diving occupations.  The procedure produces changes that are evident on eye examination.
Following the period of temporary medical restrictions there is no guarantee that members will be fit for return to unrestricted duty.  Complications that arise could result in the member's release from the CF.
5. Aircrew members must be grounded for 6 months.  Pilots or pilot applicants are unfit pilot after refractive surgery.

Lasik is awesome. I reccomend it to anyone who is thinking of it. I have had mine for a year now. I went from a V-4 to a V-1.
It's not really painless. Just a bit uncomfortable. The whole process took roughly 20 minutes and I took the reccomended 3 hour nap afterwards because it felt like I had sand in my eye. The drive from Winnipeg to Shilo was astounding. I could read the signs see the cows and everything else. One of the things they don't tell you about that is awesome.  SEX..... its awesome when you can see.

http://www.grmc.ca/

This is the site that I went to to get my information.
I reccomend it to anyone who is thinking of it. Remember if your current eye doctor tells you the scary stories he is just trying to keep a customer.

I really appreciate the info you folks are sharing. Keep it coming!

For those of you who are investigating this procedure, here's a link to a site with a lot of good information, including advice on screening your doctor:

http://www.usaeyes.org

The referral service is strictly US, but the rest of the info is useful to Canadians.

Had Lasik April,1999.  About $1500.
Went from 20/60 to 20/20 in a Blink.
Yes the Tests are Lengthly, and being told over and over some of the possible side affects suck.
But waking up in the morning looking for your glasses to see the clock, then looking at the clock and actually SEEING it!
Wearing Dark sunglasses at the Beach...so your wandering eyes aren't seen.

Water puts out Fire, Right.  Get extra Eye Drops to Flush your eyes after, and for the next few days.  It will cool the burning sensation.

Wish I had it done sooner, cause now the old age requires reading glasses.. :'(

Good luck!

Had it done in the summer of 2000 before I joined the Danish Army...  Best money I've ever spend!

Back