• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Socks (merged)

Hi there,

I am wondering what type of socks you guys and gals wear on a daily basis. Are you supplied with socks, do you have to purchase them, how many pairs do you get etc...

Any info you can get me is greatly appreciated.
I would love to send the helpful people a few pairs of the best boot socks you could possible wear to try, so please help me out, and I will be happy to return the favour.

Thanks

Marty McCaffrey
www.wigwam.com

someone on here from my favourite socks I've got :D
those merino wool/silks are the cats meow. I also wear the outlast hikers. pretty good sock, but if you wear them for more then a day, they tend to get really stiff on the bottom and cause some blisters.
not really sure about how it works for issues and what not. we've got a few bin rats on here that'll explain it better then this dumb paratrooper could about how the system works.
I also wear fox rivers. but generally that's with the desert boots. so they don't get worn that often.
but generally, I rock the merino wool/silks. I need more, hook me up :D I'm a size ten heh.

The military issues us with 5 pairs of three different sets of socks.. on the clothe the soldier site I believe you might be able to find details.

I personally have tried many different things in my career and have settled with the issue sock system of black polypro liners with the green wool/nylon? mix.

I have also tried (with success) ingenius socks by wigwam.. I have a few pairs of the grey hiking socks they make and have had them replaced for free when they wore through.

I am just wondering if and where you are able to purchase additional pairs of socks (the same ones as the issued styles)

Are the issued socks a mandatory part of the uniform or are you allowed to subsitute your own preferences?

Thanks again for all the help...

As I said.. I wore personal socks.. it's kind of like underwear, the army issues them but you are not forced to wear them.

You can order additional dress socks but the ones for field duty are simply 5 pairs, exchangeable..

Here is a link to the issue sock system.

http://www.army.dnd.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/2/262_e.asp

Basically it comprises a thin black liner sock, an intermediate weight wool sock,and a heavy weight wool sock. From my understanding a soldier is entitled to an issue of socks every 6 months (Sup Techs please correct me if I am out to lunch). Personally I am not a fan of the issue sock system. I find the liner sock to be constricting and not overly adept at wicking sweat. Additionally it falls apart quite quickly. I use ingenious socks on a day to day basis and really like them.That being said I found them much to hot for the desert,and resorted back to the issue desert socks. I am still on the hunt for a good pair of desert socks. The ingenious socks would be great if they  were about half the weight. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info so far and please keep it coming. I am glad to hear that you all seem to like our Wigwam socks.

PhilB, you mentioned that the Ingenius socks are too warm for the desert and that you still use the issued socks. I assume that is their green Temperate sock. Correct?

Thanks again everyone.

Whatever happened to those 'socks, wool, grey'?? Are they still around?

Regards,

Wes

Wes, are you looking for just the plain thick grey wool socks? Not a lot of companies still make them. There is much more attention paid to moisture wicking materials, temperature controlling materials and comfort nowadays.

I use the ingenious for hiking and i imagine they would work well with the issued footwear in the CF. Wondering if anyone knows if recruits get the 3 sock system in basic. Or if i should buy a few more pairs of ingenious to take with me.

Wes,

Yes they are still out there....as a CIC officer all I am entitled to is the socks, wool, grey  ;D  I dont mind them, myself.  I have taken to wearing a polypro liner sock. ( I think the last ones were wigwam    ;D )

Chris

Chris, please forgive my lack of knowledge, but as a CIC officer, what type of footwear are you wearing? Our liner socks are great. Glad to hear you have tried them.

If I am in my DEU oxfords or parade boots.  If I am out with my cadets,combat boots.  I get a limited issue of field clothing. 

How does everyone find the issued socks in terms of durability? Do the socks wear out quickly? Do you simply get to return them and get new ones?

You guys are so helpful.

Somwhere along the way here, I will have to find a few samples for you...

My limited experience:

wool grey - bomb proof

dress sock - they wear quickly ( I wear my DEU for regular trainning )

Chris

socksguy,

I hate the gray socks, and I've worn-through a few pairs (back in my mo-litia days when I wore the black cadillacs) ... I never wore a liner sock with them: maybe that was part of the problem ... these days, I do a whole lot less marching, but I like the ingenious socks and I also wear SmartWool (and I still don't wear liner-socks) ... I find that I can't wear the ingenious socks when it gets very warm (my feet sweat like crazy in them), but they are very comfortable otherwise.

FWIW, I wear the same socks hiking (ingenious or smartwool) and the ingenous running (which I do more than anything these days) sock is da bomb!

We get a clothing allowance with which we can replace the gray socks (point system, we can't 'substitute' anything else) but the combat sock system is an issue item.  If we want to wear anything else we generally can (I think it's technically not allowed, but I've never heard of anyone being told to change them, except on basic) but we have to pay for them out of our own pockets.

I'm a flyboy now, so take the above for what it's worth!  ;D

In response to your questions, the desert socks are seperate from the 3 sock system that I sent the link to. The desert socks seem to be made out of very lightweight synthetic material, and are ridiculously long (go past your knee, so you have to fold them down). I am not a fan of the desert socks either as I found that they fell apart really quickly,and were much to long,but they are less hot than the three sock system.

I find that the wool outer socks hold up fine ,however as I mentioned above the black liner socks are extremely flimsy and get holes in them quite quickly. Additionally, I found that the green wool outer socks get very matted after long term field use. With my ingenious socks even after wearing them for long periods of time they feel the same. The green wool gets rigid and "crusty", Hope this all helps.

PhilB, expect to see a new desert sock coming into limited service in the next few months.  Going to be a more indepth trial of th one conducted last summer with one of the VP units.  The old desert sock, actually a dress sock designed to be worn with Desert/Tropical shorts and ankle boots/ designer styled desert boots, is possibly, going the way of the dodo. 

Wigwam guy, how come you never came out of the wood work at any of the major shows to present some of your product.  I am wearing a pair of Lorpen's right now, and I got to tell you, I have hung up all my lite hikers.

Bomber, if you tell higher ups to send me some sets for trial, I am heading over in the next month...

Back