• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

jacksparrow said:
That is what my wife tells me too from talking to her fellow canadian military wives online. How come no one in the clerks office bothered to tell me this?

I am going in there 1st thing tomorrow.

Thx

Not enough info there to give an answer - did you already have PLD in Toronto before going on your IR?  If so why was it stopped? If you were not already receiving it why not?  Did you ask the clerk if you qualify for PLD while on IR either while clearing out of Toronto or in at your new location?  If not - why? Most clerks at bases are taking care of hundreds of people so they do not know everyones personal situation so it is up to the member to be aware of their pay and ask the questions.  Then there is the matter of skill level- maybe your pay clerk is new and not aware of all the in and outs.

With the question you posted the only real answer any one can give is - why didn't you bother asking?

"Anyone in the clerks office" makes it seem like you think all the the clerks are there to take care of you instead of everyone else.  What you may have meant is "How come my pay clerk didn't tell me"

One thing I learned quickly in the military is take care of your own sh*t and go see the clerks with the appropriate reference.

Ahhh PLD, I've been trying to get my sorted out since September... gonna be some dandy back-pay if it ever goes through...

ballz, go see your clerk, bring a copy of your lease, he/she'll fill out the appropriate form and it should be on the next month's pay.  I've never had any issue getting the PLD.

It's being done. It's just that I live 800 KM away from my orderly room so everything administrative takes forever. This is the third time I've mailed them the PLD request form thinger. I could really use that back-pay to clear up some credit card debt that I've accumulated over the last 2 semesters too, but I guess it's probably best that it worked out like this anyway, rather than spending it all on Subway throughout the semester.

Still, that time frame is not acceptable.  Send it, ask an email confirmation of the receipt and once they have it, call them and do not hang up until they put it in the system.

I agree - that is not acceptable. You could also go with sending it Priority Post - that way you can track and confirm that it was delivered.  If you wanted you could also send it signature required and then have them come up with an excuse for it not to be done.

To go along with SupersonicMax - ask them to email a screen capture showing the entry was made and include a screen capture of the dollar amounts generated. Then you know for sure that it has been entered and approved and that you should receive the money on your next generated pay.  If you get it into the system before the end of Apr you will get the money on your Mid May pay.

Hello,
  I have two questions for the board.

1)  Is there somewhere at CFB Edmonton that I could list a room rental availability?
2)  What is the impact on my PLD should another member reside with me and is entitled to collect PLD?

Thank-you
:2c:

1.  I'm sure someone can point out some locations on the base that you could advertise - Canex, MFRC would be starters.
2.  If you share accommodations with someone who is also entitled to PLD, you both draw it at the 75% rate.  (See CBI 205.45(10))

I'm not entirely sure how PLD works, and I'm wondering if I'd be able to collect it.

My hometown, i.e., the place where I enrolled is London, Ontario.  My unit is in Kingston.

I have no dependents (kids, spouse, etc).  I'm being TD'd to Esquimalt for a tasking for 3 months.  If I rent an apartment while I'm there, for at least three months (or longer), am I entitled to PLD?  What if I still pay rent in Esquimalt when I'm back in Kingston, could I still collect?

LoKe said:
I'm not entirely sure how PLD works, and I'm wondering if I'd be able to collect it.

My hometown, i.e., the place where I enrolled is London, Ontario.  My unit is in Kingston.

I have no dependents (kids, spouse, etc).  I'm being posted to Esquimalt, B.C. for a tasking for 3 months.  If I rent an apartment while I'm there, for at least three months (or longer), am I entitled to PLD?

Are you actually posted or going on TD?  PLD has nothing to do with a spouse or children, you get the PLD of where your main residence F&E is.  For example, I am on IR in Ottawa but as I maintain a home in Kingston, I receive the PLD from Kingston.

Do a search for the DCBA Aide Memoire to which I (and others) have posted a link several times.

Then you won't get PLD for out there.  If you are receiving PLD for Kingston, you will continue to get that.

If you are on TD then no you will not get PLD for Esquimalt as you don't "live" there You will recieve PLD for Kingston (if Kingston gets any) where you live.

By the way if you are going to Esquimalt for a 3 month tasking, that's not a posting that's a tasking - terminoligy but using it wrong could result in confusion.

PMedMoe said:
Then you won't get PLD for out there.  If you are receiving PLD for Kingston, you will continue to get that.

I'm not getting PLD anywhere.  It just seemed, from reading the DGCB document on it, that if I found a place here I could claim it.

I suppose not.

Thanks!

CBI 205.45

“principal residence”
    means a dwelling in Canada, other than a summer cottage, other seasonal accommodation or a single quarter that is occupied by the member or their dependants, and is situated at:

1. the member’s place of duty, if their household goods and effects are located at that place;
      2. the member’s former place of duty, if the member is not authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to their place of duty;
      3. the place where the member’s household goods and effects were located on enrolment, if that place is a place of duty and the member is not authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to their place of duty; or
      4. any other place of duty, selected place of residence or designated alternate location, if the member is authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to that place, except for the purpose of release or transfer to the Reserve Force. (résidence principale)

And if you scroll down to the table of the same ref the rate for Kingston March 2008  is 0.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't understand at all.

I don't live in Kingston.  I don't have a house or apartment there, nor do I have single quarters.  I don't have personal effects there, either.  That's where my unit is, and I'll be going back there after the 3 month TD. 

I've been in single quarters for the past 16 months.  Mostly in Borden.

Wouldn't my TD in Esquimalt count as "4. any other place of duty, selected place of residence or designated alternate location, if the member is authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to that place, except for the purpose of release or transfer to the Reserve Force. (résidence principale)"

Well, no, because you haven't been "authorized to move [your] household goods and effects at public expense to [Esquimalt]".

gcclarke said:
Well, no, because you haven't been "authorized to move [your] household goods and effects at public expense to [Esquimalt]".
But I have no household goods or effects to move at public expense.

And because you're there on TD, you haven't been authorized to move that nothing to Esquimalt at public expense.

Back