• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AMONGST THE MARINES by Steven Preece

opsman150

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Guys, I've just read an excellent book called AMONGST THE MARINES by a British Royal Marine called Steven Preece. I got it from www.amazon.ca in good old Canada. I've been following this after its release in the UK. It appears that the old boy network condone it and the majority of people who served with him or around his time love it.

This is the synopsis:

Synopsis
Amongst the Marines is Steven Preece's first-hand account of life as an elite Royal Marine Commando. He delivers a direct and unflinching depiction of the
excessive and often shocking lifestyle of the Marines and explains the impact this had on his own personality and behaviour. Preece fulfilled his childhood ambition by earning the coveted Green Beret from the Commando Training Centre at Lympstone when he was 18. He was unaware at that time of the brutal rite of passage that awaited him and all the other 'pieces of skin' (new recruits) at his first Marine commando unit. Violence in the Marines, as Steven discovered, was not limited to the battlefield but a continual part of a pervasive culture of bullying and aggression. It did not take long for Preece to be accepted into this culture and to adopt it as his own. His personality changed beyond recognition - from friendly and approachable to hard and unforgiving - as he embraced the customs and values of the 45 Commando Unit. On duty he was fit, committed and loyal, while off duty he displayed a mammoth capacity for drinking, fighting and, when the drink had run out, womanising. On home leave, Steven found it increasingly hard to adapt to civilian life. His drinking sessions in local pubs frequently ended in fights with the locals and even in violence against members of his own family. Preece earned a reputation amongst his fellow Marines for pranks and dangerous behaviour, and his eagerness to accept any challenges from other commandos eventually led him to be court-martialled. True to form, however, Preece was finally acquitted by the court. 'Amongst the Marines' is an intimate expose of the culture of the Marines, from foul practical jokes and rough justice to the off-duty orgies of drink, sex and violence. It is a no-hold-barred account of the many shocking incidents Preece witnessed and participated in, from his first day as a new recruit to his exit from the Marines with his reputation intact and his scores settled once and for all.

These are a couple of comments that were written:

Regarding quotes of bullying and cries of "not in my Corps" and "no, it never happened" when I joined in the mid eighties (Not RM, I'm of the maroon persuasion), bullying was rife and beatings and kickings for even slight misdemeanours were commonplace. I can remember it clearly as I was on receiving end a few times. Thank god it's been all but eliminated nowadays but it DID happen back then and was more commonplace than most of you care to remember.

and this one:

I knew the author at HMS Warrior. The instance's that took place are true. He may have put in urban myth's ie; pace stick incident but it is a book, and this makes good reading. The fights, drinking contests and shit bits all happened. The author, was a good marine very capable in his job, and someone I would want in my section, when the shit hit the fan. I left 45 for a JCC immediately after serving on op corporate. At my time of joining 45,beasting's of new marines straight out of training was common, much the same as my initiation into 41 cdo as a young 17 year old. This is a worrying time for a sprog after the high of finishing training, but was part of the character building that many of us underwent. I find it strange that many people on this forum find this unusual, maybe a lot of members here are national service men. Did you go to a unit together, after finishing training and stay together? If you did, that may explain why these instance's did not happen. Who didn't enjoy a fight with the matlos when ever possible or a good grunge contest? The author's book is a condensed series of run's ashore, that happened over a 7 year period, how about all the unmentioned run's ashore that were peaceful. If the exbootneck that live's in Truro doesn't believe this book, or the author's authenticity I will be happy to visit him on my way to Falmouth to prove that it is true, and the author is a bootneck. I enjoyed this book as it brought back memories of youth, good times with little pressures of life, just a sense of belonging.

There's a lot of passion here and I personally thoroughly enjoyed the book.  WHAT DO YOU THINK? 

I've read this one and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was certainly different and focuses on the private life of a Royal Marine Commando.  The synopsis I feel is quite accurate.  It was violent, disgusting, very humerous and at times quite sad.  It is a great personal story and I hope this guy writes a follow up book very soon.

Jazz

I've read this book and I thought it was realistic and true to life.  I guess its about time somebody wrote this side of the story.  Maybe that's why the author subtitled it The Untold Story?

Anyway if he writes a follow up book I wanna read it, cos I'm curious to know what happened after he left the marines!! ;D

I can help you there my friend.  I read the book too and could relate to it quite well. I searched the Amazon site with no luck.  I also wondered if he wrote another book so I emailed his publisher.  Gladly neither I or yourself will be disappointed because he releases a follow up book later this year.

Try this link UK for the synopsis: http://www.mainstreampublishing.com/2005/news_133.html

Lets hope its as good as his last one becasue books like that only come around every once in a while.

Opsman 8)

I'm looking forward to the follow up too.   The synopsis is on the amazon website.

In Amongst the Marines, author Steven Preece vividly depicted his excessive, violent lifestyle as an elite Royal Marine Commando. This powerful sequel covers the author's life following his departure from the service. Back on civvy street for the first time in over seven years, Preece finds it extremely difficult to adapt and struggles to shift the aggressive mentality that became second nature to him in the Marines. Despite these difficulties, he forges a relationship with a woman, whom he later marries and has children with, but this positive influence is not enough to cancel out the negative influence that his service in the marines had had on him. Preece soon discovers that his tendency towards violence will not be tolerated in the civilian workplace. After being sacked following aggressive incidents in his first jobs since leaving the Marines, he finds himself blacklisted by many companies in his area and is forced to look for jobs abroad. His quest for work takes Preece to France, where he is caught up in a hotel fire; Germany, where he forms a company with an ex-SAS trooper who later doublecrosses him; Morocco, where an incident lands him in jail and he is later shot at by border police; and Thailand, where he fights in a boxing ring with a former French Legionnaire and narrowly escapes death while clashing with locals. Once back in the UK, Preece continues to get caught up in violent episodes with work colleagues, neighbours and strangers, and one incident culminates in a severe head injury and minor brain damage. Upon recovering, Preece is forced to reassess his violent past and begins training in Ninjutsu, the martial arts of the ninjas, who view aggression as a sign of weakness. On a cold November winter morning over 13 years after his retirement from the marines, Preece finally finds the strength to let go of his violent past after experiencing an epiphany at a Remembrance Day parade. Always A Marine is the action-packed, often shocking account of one ex-Marine's 13-year struggle to control the aggression he learnt as a serviceman in order to become a respectable civilian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After I left the forces I struggled with life.   I'm interested to know how Preece found the transition from a marine to a civilian.

Jazz  

I recently watched a news event about bullying in the military.  We all know it goes on.  The book written by Preece certainly created a lot of passion in the UK.  The old school marines have tried to deny bullying takes place amongst them, but if you read between the lines you can see that its quite evident what Preece wrote is true:

Have a look at this thread on their website:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1123087300

What do you think?  There's also another thread called "Amongst The Marines" on Page 20.  Its mind blowing.

Last year "Amongst The Marines" took a lot of flak after its release.   These comments flatten all the rubbish that was posted on a couple of the UK sites and the story has now been confirmed as true.

Here's the comments off the marine's website:

I wrote a review about his first book which was not too complimentary, but I believe it was fair comment (he thought so too), and that most of what he wrote was based on fact; I just didn't like the impression it gave of the Corps, or the damage it could do. 'Dirty linen in public' springs to mind, and the fact that he seemed quite proud of his antics.

I left the Corps in 1977, but it does appear from comments supporting Preece, that after the Falklands War, and up until 1990ish, there was a change in what was acceptable conduct by an element within the Corps. This wasn't immediately jumped on. I was CSM of 'M' Company 42 Cdo in Singapore and Bickleigh, and the Preece's of this world would have got short shrift. His conduct was totally over the top, and far from normal; as he now admits! Maybe this is what happens when a major part of a Military organisation is engaged in such a conflict as the Falklands. Gulf War 2 was gentle in comparison.

I personally enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading the sequal "Always A Marine".

This book caused the biggest and best 10 page debate I have ever seen on the marines forum:

Check this out: http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1094557494

The next book has been debated too:  :warstory:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1128526357

I guess with the current news issue of bullying in the Royal Marines, the start of this book is beginning to ring true now.   Its quite evident that this sort of behaviour goes on.

This book deserves its own thread.  Its the sequal to Amongst The Marines.  When I read the first book I searched in hope that a follow up would be released.  I wasn't disappointed.  It was never going to be easy for this guy to make the transition from a soldier to a civilian.  I hear it isn't easy for a lot of people.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184596005X/qid=1134415333/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl14/002-9437160-7492842?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

How did you guys fine the transition.  I have so many friends who found it difficult.  They say their service friends were the best friends they ever had and that their service days were the best years of their life.

This book was very well written and I guess relates to practically every serviceman.  When you walk through the main gates for the last time you are still a serviceman.  Only time heals this! :crybaby:

May be more of you should write your stories.  I'm sure a lot of you must have had similar experiences as Preece after you left the armed forces? ::) :threat: ;D

Preece found something else to believe in.  Pretty cool I thought.

Can anyone recommend any similar books?

No idea about the book cover but this article on the author and his books is pretty good reading:

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/2005/12/16/214137.html

;D >:D :threat: :salute:
capital

Enfield, you know the title of the book is "Always A Marine: The Return to Civvy Street", I personally don't know if you made the connection to the marine on the cover to the title (I mean I know it is obviously encoded with Enigma ::) ) Also I do not think you could say he sounds stupid if you have not walked in his boots or a similar pair. Just my observation.

Rory said:
Enfield, you know the title of the book is "Always A Marine: The Return to Civvy Street", I personally don't know if you made the connection to the marine on the cover to the title (I mean I know it is obviously encoded with Enigma ::) ) Also I do not think you could say he sounds stupid if you have not walked in his boots or a similar pair. Just my observation.

The book is about a former Royal Marine, not a US Marine. Last I checked the two were seperate breeds, and the US and UK seperate nations. Sort of like putting a US soldier on the cover of "Ghosts of Medak".

I read the summary of the book. From the actions and adventures described there, I was not left with a great deal of respect for the man. And to be honest, it seems like an attempt to cash in on military stereotypes in the public than anything else. 

I jumped the gun a little there, sorry about that. I can see where your coming from, military stuff is a quick cash cow for certain groups of people.

Guys, I followed a discussion on this book in the UK and apparently the reason he chose the book cover was because he beleived the story would appeal to soldiers from all over the world and didn't just want to type cast it in the UK with the brit marines. 

If you haven't read it, you should.  Then you can comment more accurately.  However, if you do read it, you should read his first book in advance, Amongst The Marines.  Not only does it have the right book cover, its a story that needs to be told!!!!!! ::) ;D :crybaby: :rage: :threat: :salute:

This book will open your eyes, shock you, make you laugh and blow your mind!!

If anyone is wondering why there are so many banned posters in this thread, it was a single user with multiple accounts posting both sides of a conversation to himself.

Back