• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another sad day in the Dragoons

My deepest condolences to his family, friends and comrades-in-arms. :salute:

We regret to announce the death of Lynden M. Grant of Oromocto, NB, on
Thursday, 28 Feb 08. Lynden Grant was a long time member of the Armoured
Corp.  Visitation will be held at the Oromocto Select Community Funeral
Home (357-5100) on Saturday, March 1st, 2008 from 2-4 and 7-9 pm.  The
funeral service will be held at McAdam's Select Community Funeral Home
(458-9170) on Sunday, March 2nd, 2008 at 2:00 pm.  Interment will take
place at a later date in the St. Stephen Rural Cemetery.  In lieu of
flowers, memorial tributes in Lynden's honour may be made to the
Oromocto Extra Mural Program or to your local food bank.
www.oromoctofh.com  www.mcadamsfh.com 

Lynden Grant was a member of both the RCD and 8 CH(PL).  He was a SSM in the RCD and a longtime Instructor at the Armour School.  He retired in the McAdam/St Stephen area of NB.  His son Gary is still serving.

Sad news for sure. He also spent some time in the PEIR as well. I often remember the story of the "Brigadier" as was his nickname that he earned one exercise. I worked for him more than a few times. He was definitely a character.

http://www.oromoctofh.com/Obituaries/34686/

tis a sad day indeed.....
i served with lynden 8-ch(pl)
rest in peace  soldier  :salute:
you will not be forgotten  :cdn:
deepest condolences to family,,friends,,and comrades...
in flanders feild
                          scoty b

Sad indeed.  I worked with Lynden for a couple of years at the Gagetown ammo compound after his military retirement.
Great fellow.

D

GRANT, LYNDEN MURRAY The death of Lynden M. Grant of Oromocto, NB occurred at the Oromocto Public Hospital on Thursday, February 28th, 2008. Born in Fredericton, NB, he was the son of the late Woodford E. and Annie C. (MacKinnon) Grant and husband of Deb (Cliffe) Grant. Lynden was raised in Lower St. Mary's, NB and joined the military in 1961, retiring after 31 years of service with the Royal Canadian Dragoons. During his career he served at CFB Gagetown, NB, Cyprus, London, England and Germany. He was honored with the Order of Military Merit in 1997 by Governor General Romeo LeBlanc. Lynden was a past Councilor for Ward 4 with the Town of Oromocto and was also an avid hockey player, coach and fan for many years and received the Canadian Forces Coach of the Year Award in 1991.

Lynden is survived by his wife, Deb; children, Geoffrey (Denise) of Cold Lake, AB and their son Zachary, Gary (Susan) of Ottawa, ON and their daughters, Alexandra and Mackenzie as well as Jennifer Hache (Nick) of Burton, NB and their son, Joshua; brothers, Bob (Chris) of Fanny Bay, BC and Darryl (Doreen) of Calgary, AB; sisters, Edna Fox (Edison) of Tyrone, PEI and Donna Gorda of Preston, BC; favorite mum-in-law, Elizabeth Cliffe of St. Stephen, NB; sisters-in-law, Karen Cliffe of St. Stephen, NB, Pam DeBacker (Chuck) of Regina, SK and Connie Cliffe of Glace Bay, NS.; as well as, several special nieces and nephews. Predeceased by his parents; son, James Drew; brother, Frank; sister, Geraldine Grant; sister-in-law, Louise Grant; brother-in-law, Victor Gorda; father-in-law, Harry Cliffe; nephews, Darryl Grant Jr., Christopher Carr and Aden Grant; as well as niece, Wendy Anderson.

Please note: visitation will be held at the Oromocto Select Community Funeral Home (357-5100) on Saturday, March 1st, 2008 from 2-4 and 7-9 pm.

The funeral service will be held at McAdam's Select Community Funeral Home (458-9170) on Sunday, March 2nd, 2008 at 2:00 pm. Interment will take place at a later date in the St. Stephen Rural Cemetery.

Sad Day , SSM Grant was a great man to work for

He will be missed

Some of my fondest memories of the military include "Brigadier" Lyndon Crant. He was both a good guy to work with and a good guy to get to know outside of work.

I'll miss him.

My condolences to family and friends of Lyndon.

"We have a Canadian Brigadier General down heah!!!!"
unknown US Army MP

Gordon C. Kitchen, Major-General (Retired)

At Kingston General Hospital on March 9, 2008 at the age of 77.  Cherished husband of Joan (nee Honderich) for 55 years.  Much loved father of David (Kellie), Robert (Donna), John (Nancy), and Heather (Rick).  Dear brother of Dorothy Poynter and the late Harold Kitchen.  Doting Grandad to: Matthew, Christopher, Stephen, Emma, Jessica, James, Nicholas, Sophie and Harriet.

Gord enjoyed a remarkably rich life.  A proud soldier, diplomat, sportsman and author; his accomplishments were many, yet he valued most his countless friendships made.  He was undoubtedly happiest at Aylen Lake, canoeing through the early morning mist, puttering through his daily task list, mentoring aspiring young fishermen and presiding over raucous family dinners.

His family wish to announce that a celebration of Gord's life will be held in Kingston on Sunday, 10 May, commencing with a memorial service at 1100hrs in the Trinity Chapel of Canadian Forces Base Kingston.  A reception will follow at the Fort Frontenac Officers Mess.  All old friends are cordially invited to attend.

CaseySheppard said:
Some of my fondest memories of the military include "Brigadier" Lyndon Crant. He was both a good guy to work with and a good guy to get to know outside of work.

I'll miss him.

My condolences to family and friends of Lyndon.

"We have a Canadian Brigadier General down heah!!!!"
unknown US Army MP

I didn't see this before now, and am just realizing the Brigadier is gone.  Not too many people on here were around on that Ex, Shep, maybe me, you, Dave and Neil. 

I am sad to hear this great man is gone. 

Didn't the yank Meathead then say "an he ain't listenin' to us" (as the Brigadier continued to wave Rick and his Iltis forward).  Rick can tell the story the best.

I just received the following Obituary from Muggsie:

Please keep WO Duke
All his family and friends
His Fellow Dragoons
In your prayers and intentions.

DUKE, Cyril Ronald 49, Eastern Passage, passed away Tuesday, March 10,
2009, in the VG Site, QEII. Born in Placentia, N.L., he was a loving son
of Ronald and Mary (Young) Duke. Surviving are his wife, Joyce (Walls);
daughter, Jennifer, Burnaby, B.C.; son, Josh, Surrey, B.C.; grandson,
Alexander; brothers, Eli, Harold, Walter and Cecil; sisters, Pauline,
Imelda, Patricia and Linda. Visitation will be 2-4, 7-9 p.m. today with
funeral service 1 p.m. Friday, March 13, both in Atlantic Funeral Home,
771 Main St., Dartmouth. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to
Canadian Liver Foundation, Halifax Chapter. On-line condolences may be
sent to the family by visiting: *www.atlanticfuneralhomes.com

Tpr Diab      Funeral/Iterment Details

FUNERAL

Visitation: 1700 -2100 hrs    Monday - 16 Mar 09
Scott's Funeral Home
420 Dundas East, Mississauga, ON
905-272-4440

Funeral: 1000 hrs    Tuesday - 17 Mar 09
                      Our Lady of Lebanon
                      1515 Queen St, Mississauga, ON 
                      416-821-7070

Interment: 1300 hrs    Tuesday
                        Assumption Roman Catholic Cemetery
                        6933 Tomken Road, Mississauga, ON
                      905-670-8801
                      Reception to follow interment

Dress: DEU 1A (Medals)

Unit Memorial Service - RCD - CFB Petawawa

Location: St Francis of Assisi Roman Catholic Chapel, CFB Petawawa

Date: 25 Mar 09
Timing: 1045 hrs for 1100 hrs
Dress: DEU 1A (Medals)

These are the details to date.

Please check our Regimental Website for any last minute changes at www.dragoons.ca

Tony Slack just passed on word that after a long battle with cancer Sgt Jim Godden (Ret'd) passed away peacefully at home today.

RIP and Fair Winds Jumper

To all those who've lost friends, my sincerest condolences.

To those now guarding the gates of Heaven, let me borrow a quote from the funeral of one of our first Afghanistan casualties:

"Rest in peace, Dragoons.  Your work is all done here."

From Tony Slack, for those in the area:

Funeral details for our friend Sgt Jim Godden (Retd):
Jim will be laid to rest at 1400 hrs 1 Feb 14 at the National Military Cemetery in Beechwood, Ottawa.
Viewing will be in the Hall of Colours starting at 1200 hrs 1 Feb 14.

[Edit to add:]

(Retired) SGT James G. Godden - May 6, 1959 - January 21, 2014

Obituary 

GODDEN, James G.
SGT (Retired) - Royal Canadian Dragoons
- at his residence in Smith Falls, Ontario, on Monday January 21, 2014 at the age of 54. With his loving wife Susan (née Carr) by his side.

Funeral Details

Visitation   
Hall of Colours - Beechwood National Memorial Centre
280 Beechwood Ave. , Ottawa, ON, CANADA, K1L 8E2
Sat, 1 Feb 2014 12:00 PM 

Funeral   
Sacred Space of the Beechwood National Memorial Centre
280 Beechwood Ave. , Ottawa, ON, CANADA, K1L 8E2
Sat, 1 Feb 2014 2:00 PM 

Burial   
National Military Cemetery of the Canadian Forces 
280 Beechwood Ave. , Ottawa, ON, CANADA, K7A 4S7
Sat, 1 Feb 2014 3:00 PM 

A living legend of the 8th Canadian Hussars (PL) and the Royal Canadian Dragoons passed away yesterday. 

Lester Schultz passed away in the Oromocto hospital.  Lester was quite a character, a large intimidating man, a diehard Harley rider, a unholy terror at Uplands when he was the Base RSM's Assistant and enforcing dress regulations for those getting on or off of Service Flights and in the Junior Ranks Mess; but a true friend to all who actually knew him. 

http://www.oromoctofh.com/obituaries/104825

Lester Schultz
1955-2016

Lester Schultz

It is with sadness that the family of Lester Schultz of Fredericton, NB, announces his passing on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at the Oromocto Public Hospital. Lester was the son of the late Richard and Gwen (Martin) Schultz.

Lester is survived by his partner Stephen Richards; sister Sidney Schultz, and nieces Megan and Sarah Schultz.

In addition to his parents, Lester was predeceased by his sister Pam Schultz.

In keeping with Lester’s wishes, there will be no visitation or service. In lieu of flowers, donations in Lesters’s memory may be made to the Oromocto SPCA or to the Canadian Liver Foundation.

Back