• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone here in the Princess Louise Fusiliers in Halifax?

Hey guys............thanks for all the advice. ;)
  I will definately be talking to the recruiting Sgts. in the next couple of days.
Cheers all!

If you're looking for something a little different, you might be interested in 3 Intelligence Company. We tend to look for slightly older candidates, and those with prior military experience (although that isn't a requirement with us) and we're fairly flexible for those who have full-time jobs elsewhere. We're in the process of expanding again (we're over 60 people now, and looking for more). Out unit focusses on developing soldiers to be able to augment regular force intelligence staffs for exercises and operations, and we tend to deploy a fair amount...but that is strictly voluntary...if you don't want to go to Afganistan or Bosnia, you certainly don't have to. However, if you are interested in eventually going overseas, we're deploying more than just about anyone else on the block right now.

As with 33 svc, we're over in willow park as well. 

I don't know the name of it, I'm afraid, but it's in the same building as the Naval Construction Troop, on the second floor next to the Network Protection Team guys.

You're with 33 Svc, I assume...

Acorn,  you are correct. 

I have NO idea where that is.  LOL

We're right next door to you guys. In fact, we share your mess. If you ever see a group of int ops swilling beer there after a parade night...chances are you'll see me, staring at that CFNA plaque and pining for the fjiords.

Whose plaque is that, BTW?

Acorn,

I'll look next time I'm there.  I'm not sure what plaque you're referring to.  I don't usually go to the mess unless I have a class in there or its forced friendship night.  I have a very long drive to and from the unit so I usually leave right after 10 pm.

Maybe I'll see you some night.  Drop into the weapons shop if you have time.

Hi Mike! It's been ages!
Em Patterson here, you probalb remember meas Martha.
I'm in the UK now but I'm still on Sup Reserve.

How's life?

Slàinte
Em

Martha Patterson? As in Col Patterson's daughter? OMG I'm feeling old again  :(  Not that I would expect you to remember me - just another male reso offr cadet in the plf at the same time you were there. We were a dime a dozen, but females, in particular the CO's daughter, you remember.

Feeling nostalgic again, must go home so my son can call me an old man again....  :D

brin11 said:
You have to ask yourself what trade you are interested in.   There is an Intelligence Platoon, Comms Squadron, a Medical Platoon, etc. in Halifax as well as the Svc. Btn./Combat Arms units.  

Sorry, not to hijack, but I had to interject.  There is an Intelligence Company, not platoon  ;D.  We are approved to go to 100 strength in the next year.

To stay on track of the conversation,  I know a number of PLF and 33rd guys, and I started in the reserves at 29.  I was not the oldest guy on my courses, but pretty close. I was older than most Instructors.  However, that being said, it wasn't a big deal.  PLF obviously requires you to be in a little better shape than 33 Service.  ;)

Are the PLF and 723 Comm still in the Halifax Armoury? I'm visiting Halifax for the first time in about 19 years in July and I wanted to see the old building and show my kids where the military experiences for both myself and my wife began.

I don't get homesick and all that but I'm definately looking forward to this visit. I've been told a lot has changed on the Dartmouth side where I grew up and recent pictures of the Halifax skyline show lots of changes.

What about Alexanders pub? Or Lawrence of Oregano? Or the Lower Deck at Privateers Warehouse? Still there or am I showing my advanced age and senility again?  ;D

P.S. It's just a coincidence that my memories and questions on an army site are all related to pubs  ;)

Lower Deck and Alexander's are still here. Never heard of Lawrence of Oregano.

Inch said:
Lower Deck and Alexander's are still here. Never heard of Lawrence of Oregano.

I thought I remembered someone saying it wasn't there a few years ago but it could have been gone for 19 for all I know.

Does anyone have any idea of the policies for visiting the Armoury? In particular the Officers Mess? I remember a large picture of all PLF officers from 1983 with a very young ocdt me that I would love to show the kids if it's still there. Damn, I'm actually getting excited about this visit now. I'm feeling the need to show my kids where I came from and what I did back in the day as there may never be such a chance again.

Although I will resist the urge to go out with them at night kicking the gas powered lights on Water Street (? - been a long time) to shut them off.

sigpig said:
I thought I remembered someone saying it wasn't there a few years ago but it could have been gone for 19 for all I know.

Does anyone have any idea of the policies for visiting the Armoury? In particular the Officers Mess? I remember a large picture of all PLF officers from 1983 with a very young ocdt me that I would love to show the kids if it's still there. darn, I'm actually getting excited about this visit now. I'm feeling the need to show my kids where I came from and what I did back in the day as there may never be such a chance again.

Although I will resist the urge to go out with them at night kicking the gas powered lights on Water Street (? - been a long time) to shut them off.

Didn't realize that Lawrence's was gone (no longer in the phone book). 

As for Armouries policy, I'm not sure, but it's pretty accessable during weekdays, just go in and talk to the Commissionaire in his little room. Not sure about the Comms guys, they are still thier, but the PLF parade on Thursday nights, so that might be a good time to take your family to watch.  Although my training year ends tonight, so theirs might as well.

sigpig said:
Does anyone have any idea of the policies for visiting the Armoury? In particular the Officers Mess? I remember a large picture of all PLF officers from 1983 with a very young ocdt me that I would love to show the kids if it's still there. darn, I'm actually getting excited about this visit now. I'm feeling the need to show my kids where I came from and what I did back in the day as there may never be such a chance again.

If I recall correctly, those photo arrays of the PLF officers are now in the unit Museum off the main floor. Someone in the unit Orderly Room should be able to identify who currently holds the keys and has authorized access to take you in.

While you're in the business of joining a reserve unit in Halifax, don't forget 1 Field Regiment..The Artillery! That's my regiment, though I'm in Yarmouth in the 84th Indep. Fd. Bty.

Lawrence's was still there, it's actually a part of the dome last I checked so no wonder you wouldn't know it if you were trying to think of particular bars.

Gotta watch those PLF officers though.

I googled the dome and it looks very interesting. Wish they had something like that in my younger days. Will definitely have to check it out. Thanks for all the info guys..

Back