• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone lose a Kidney and still fit to serve?

Tech227

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone was diganosed with Kidney Disease and after having kidney removed was not med released. I'm facing losing my right Kidney pending results of Lasix Renal scan. My MO(Civ) was unable to tell me how losing one kindey would affect universality of service.  I have 17 years servered and am not looking to release but I want to be proactive and informed of how this might play out.

I'm not looking for hard and fast medical diganois here just wondering if any fellow mbrs are still serving without issue after losing a Kidney.

Needless to say it's a stressful time so any info would be great.

I would say that every case is treated individually by the medical system.  However, I'm personally aware of one similar circumstance and that person was allowed to continue to serve, but it all depends on how much medical attention you require post-op.  If you are not deployable, I would say that your chances aren't great, but who knows?

I would agree that much depends on your deployability. That being said, much also depends on the reasons for your kidney failure, and the long term viability of your remaining kidney. I too have seen one other member continue to serve, but it was on accommodation. You have a great deal to think about. Regardless of the final outcome, please ensure that you have your medical care sorted out, and that you prepare for the post service option.

Tech227 said:
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone was diganosed with Kidney Disease and after having kidney removed was not med released. I'm facing losing my right Kidney pending results of Lasix Renal scan. My MO(Civ) was unable to tell me how losing one kindey would affect universality of service.  I have 17 years servered and am not looking to release but I want to be proactive and informed of how this might play out.

I'm not looking for hard and fast medical diganois here just wondering if any fellow mbrs are still serving without issue after losing a Kidney.

Needless to say it's a stressful time so any info would be great.

I fully agree with all the above posters - every case is different, individual, your fitness to serve and the ability to meet the universality of service. My reason for posting was not to tell you what you already knew, but to tell you that I too am personally aware of a case where a friend never lost their kidney per se, but donated it. This friend is still serving with one kidney and it's been about 6 years without signifigant issue.

So it can be done.

A friend of mine joined with only one kidney and served nigh on 10 years...and wasn't released medically.

MM

My personal opinion WRT these medical questions is the shifting target for "that answer".
Today you could meet the UoS and next year based on changes to the medical support
system that you are basing a career decision on you might be breeching the UoS the
next time you have your part I and II exams.

I was med rel in 08, not for a kidney problem, it was for a leg operation gone bad.  On my mel rel appt with the Doc, she noticed on my file that I had a kidney stone attack in 05.  She told me that, if I wasn't being med rel for the leg issue, it would have been for the kidney stone attack because once you have one of those, you are no longer deployable.  Now I don't know if things have changed since then, I hope that they did because I have not had another kidney stone attack since my first one and that would have ended by career just the same!

Back