• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone Work with "Canada Company"?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Just spotted this media advisory:

CANADA COMPANY ANNOUNCING MAJOR SUPPORT INITIATIVE FOR CANADIAN FORCES FAMILIES

TORONTO, September 28, 2007 - On Monday, October 1, 2007, Canada Company will announce a significant support initiative to military personnel and their families at the Denison Armoury, located near Allen and Sheppard in Toronto.

On hand will be Blake Goldring, Chair of Canada Company and Chairman and CEO, AGF Management Limited; General Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff; and members of Canada’s business community.
Canada Company, created in 2006, brings community leaders from across Canada together to support Canadian military personnel in the work that they do at home and abroad. The organization is apolitical and is an advocate for those Canadians who serve, or wish to serve, in the Canadian Forces and their families, ensuring that they receive the widest possible support, recognition and care possible. Canada
Company’s motto is “Many Ways To Serve.” www.canadacompany.ca

WHO: - Blake Goldring, Chairman of Canada Company & Chairman and CEO,
AGF Management Limited
- General Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff
- Members of Canada’s business community

WHAT: An announcement of a significant support initiative for military families

WHEN: Monday, October 1, 2007, 4 p.m. Eastern

WHERE: Denison Armoury, 1 Yukon Lane (near Allen and Sheppard)

-30-

For further information please contact:
Doug Maybee
Director, External Communications & Media Relations, CIBC (on behalf of Canada
Company)
416-980-7458
doug.maybee@cibc.com

They have a HUGELY slick web page, and talk about helping CF members (reg & reserve) and families, but this is the first I've heard of this group.  I also note the chair of Canada Company is also the Honourary Col. for the Royal Royal Regiment of Canada.  Go straight to canadacompany.com, and you get endorsements from VERY heavy industry hitters - Galen Weston, Peter Munk, etc.

Sounds good, but anybody have any feedback on any initiatives?

It doesnt really state what they do  or intend to do.

What is the mission, goal, objectives?  I see a lot of flowery PC talk that implies its a bunch of businessmen and retired CF officers talking about helping the forces and rubbing shoulders with serving military officers, but no actual plan for helping CF members and families.  Sounds more like a paltform for arranging for speaking at luncheons and getting shoe-ins to high-positioned jobs at major companies. 

From the news release.

Canada Company announces new educational scholarship fund to help children of Canadian Military Personnel killed while serving country.

The Canada Company Scholarship Fund will provide up to $4.000 per year for up to four years to support the post-secondary education for children who qualify. The Canada Company Scholarship Fund will provide scholarships grants to children dating back to January 1, 2002.

The event has just finished at the Armouries and the CDS was presented with a cheque for $1,650,000.00.

More to follow on this in the days to come on Army News and it is already on the wire for the mainstream news outlets.

Armynewsguy

Armynewsguy said:
The event has just finished at the Armouries and the CDS was presented with a cheque for $1,650,000.00.

Then I gladly eat my own words.  There are too many 'military support' organizations forming out there who do not actually support the CF members they claim to support and/or represent.  Glad to hear these guys appear to be legit!

Back