• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying for Commission

babyjoker

Inactive
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this topic has been already covered, I did a search but couldn't find the answers to my questions. These are "Reserve" questions.
Is it possible to bypass Officer Cadet without or before completing a University Degree. I have been told that in certain circumstances this has been done. I have also been told that applying for a Commission is similar to applying for any job, with an interview process etc. Is it true that if you are the appropriate age with substantial civilian training/ work experience that one can become an officer without a degree at all? Can someone please explain in detail the process?

Thanks

Here are  a few answers.  Unless you have previous military training that involved leadership ie SLC, JNCO, PLQ and so on, you will be enrolled as an Officer Cadet.  The Reserve unit hiring you can do it under a variety of entry plans at their discretion.  Some do not require a university degree at the onset.  Your age, beyond the minimum requirements and the max age to be able to serve, is not a factor.  Appropriate civilian training is only a factor for certain jobs, like doctors or nurses.  Most reserve jobs are combat arms or combat service and support.  Unless you have have some sort of unique skill set, your civilian experience will not help you by-pass anything.  You might be a special case.  But without more info it's hard to say.

Talk to your local CFRC/D or contact the reserve unit you wish to join.  They can go over your case and tell you where you stand better than anyone else.

Back