• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Take a look into Beadford Basin tomorrow.  HDW might be going for her first sail under her own power.

I observed a different looking grey hull in the basin with at least one tug on standby as I crossed the bridge this afternoon. 

Interesting!

Nice lines.

https://www.marinelink.com/news/canadas-nd-arctic-offshore-patrol-ship-472727

The future HMCS Harry DeWolf starts initial sea trials

The lead AOPS departed Halifax Shipyard at 0945 and, using its diesel-electric engines, moved to the Bedford Basin

NEWS RELEASE
IRVING SHIPBUILDING

Halifax Shipyard has commenced initial builder’s sea trials for Canada’s lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship (AOPS), the future HMCS Harry DeWolf.

The lead AOPS departed Halifax Shipyard at 0945 and, using its diesel-electric engines, moved to the Bedford Basin to start initial builder’s sea trails associated with anchor handling, the integrated bridge and navigation system (IBNS), fin stabilizers, Multi-Role Rescue Boat (MRRB) launch and recovery, and communication systems.

Initial builder’s sea trials will continue over the next few weeks and will be followed by formal sea trials and acceptance by the Royal Canadian Navy. This will span into the first quarter of 2020.

At 103 metres and 6,615 tonnes, the future HMCS Harry DeWolf is the largest Royal Canadian Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years.

There are currently four AOPS under construction at Halifax Shipyard, including the future HMCS Harry DeWolf. The future HMCS Margaret Brooke was launched on November 10, 2019 and is currently pier side where work continues to prepare the ship for sea trials and handover to the Royal Canadian Navy late next year.

Inside Halifax Shipyard’s facilities, the Royal Canadian Navy’s third and fourth AOPS, the future HMCS Max Bernays and the future HMCS William Hall, are under construction. The first two major sections of the future HMCS Max Bernay are scheduled to be moved outside in spring 2020.
https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/police-beat/the-future-hmcs-harry-dewolf-starts-initial-sea-trials-1876125

Here is the video released by Irving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSb9z65VM8Q

She's looking good!

I have a question:  Why was HDW's pennant number painted off her hull?

Fred Herriot said:
I have a question:  Why was HDW's pennant number painted off her hull?

It is painted on one side. From what I have been told it was painted over for touch ups and they just didn't get around to repainting it yet. Rest assured it will be painted before handover to the RCN.

newfin said:
Here is the video released by Irving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSb9z65VM8Q

She's looking good!

Nice to see her steaming on her own power.

I've heard different RUMINT about deck trials for the 148 starting in the near future as well...focus has been elsewhere recently so never seem to nail down any good gen on that.  Although I personally think the RCN needed something with some more speed and firepower, I'd be lying if I said I'd turn down a chance to be on a Det that went on a northern sail on one of these in the future.

I suspect they spend as much or more time in the Caribbean and coast of Africa as they do in the Arctic.

Colin P said:
I suspect they spend as much or more time in the Caribbean and coast of Africa as they do in the Arctic.

There is isn't anything suspect about it, the ships will be deployed else where after freeze up including the Caribbean. The ships have the extra AC capacity to operate in the tropics.

Chief Engineer said:
There is isn't anything suspect about it, the ships will be deployed else where after freeze up including the Caribbean. The ships have the extra AC capacity to operate in the tropics.

Maybe in the future, there will be a small Canadian Task Force on CARIBBE, complete with Cyclone's and Aurora's doing co-op stuff.

Eye In The Sky said:
Maybe in the future, there will be a small Canadian Task Force on CARIBBE, complete with Cyclone's and Aurora's doing co-op stuff.

There has been that ineffective in the past, with a Frigate, Sea King, and Aurora.  Wasn't the most cost effective for the tasking...

Chief Engineer said:

Have the engine cooling systems been engineered to operate in warm tropical waters?  As well as cold arctic waters?

Baz said:
There has been that ineffective in the past, with a Frigate, Sea King, and Aurora.  Wasn't the most cost effective for the tasking...

But that was 'the past' and, no offense to SeaKing folks but there wasn't much to offer in terms of sensor cap's back then...that game has changed. 

If that TF was also only a Blk 2 Aurora...well...the potential has increased significantly on both the LRP/MH assets.

Chris Pook said:
Have the engine cooling systems been engineered to operate in warm tropical waters?  As well as cold arctic waters?

Yes and they have extra AC capacity to compensate for the extra load during tropical missions.

Spencer100 said:
Will it be a problem that they don't have a beartrap haul down system?

I wouldn't think so, a lot of ships don't have them. In fact the NoCGV Svalbard which the AOPV is based on and operates a similar sized helo doesn't have one either.

Back