• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic Tent Lacing

Safety pins are great. Too bad the 5.56mm bandoleers don't have the black safety pins like the 7.62mm ammo did. When I was in the infantry we got all the key rings from supply, they were probably 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter. The whole company had them.

Another thing they had (that I wasn't a big fan of) was brass spring loaded hooks, similar to the what is on the end of a dogs leash for clipping on to the collar. These brass hooks would allow the guidelines to be removed from the tent so that the spikes don't puncture the tent when it is rolled up. I felt they slowed down the set up though. Loops in the guidelines worked better. Put the spike through the loop, spin the spike so the loop tightens on the spike and then drive it in. Even when frozen you could untwist the loop and get the spike out during tear down. The brass loop were great for attaching to pocket knives and such, before everyone had the mini karabiners.

Bzzliteyr said:
Oh and when in the perimiter of the tent, don't eat the yellow snow!!

Ahh... the mark of the dreaded "snow snake"..... :p

the more low tech the better.
green para cord through the eyelets with a reef knot where they knot makes it very easy to detach and remove when it is necessary to take the liner out.  The key rings IS a good idea but, requires more work when it comes time to dismantle.
Tying the main pole to the top of the tent is an excellent point- trying to thread the pole in place late at night, in a snowstorm is an accident looking for a place to happen.... especialy with respect to those drying lines.  When not in use, the pole is simply collapsed and folded up with the tent.

Knife tied to the main pole should be an SOP - in a fire, lives depend on a speedy egress - and the fire started at the door - where some numpty was trying to bring in (or eject) a stove or lantern.

geo said:
Knife tied to the main pole should be an SOP - in a fire, lives depend on a speedy egress - and the fire started at the door - where some numpty was trying to bring in (or eject) a stove or lantern.

You'd think that geo but sadly it ain't.

- The black safety pins on the bandoleers were painted brass.

- Use curtain hooks to hang the gear.  Otherwise, in a wind, you will wake up in the morning and find the stuff from the drying lines under your sleeping bags.

The NFLD Grinch said:
NEVER light the stove or lanterin INSIDE the tent. Lost count how many times I have kicked a stove out the damn door because some numpty failed to follow this rule and flooded it out resulting in almost catching the tent on fire.
Also you might want to tie a knife to the pole in case the tent catches fire. Make your exit hole  ;D

- Trained troops should be proficient at lighting lanterns and stoves inside.  A well maintened and properly lit stove or lantern should never flare with good fuel.  A bit of experience and finesse is required.

- I fear we have lost the fine arts of dismounted snow life.

Tie paracord around the base of the pole (the plastic thing the pole sits in).....it easliy gets burried in the snow.

Catalyst said:
Tie paracord around the base of the pole (the plastic thing the pole sits in).....it easliy gets burried in the snow.
Another good point.

I agree with TCBF....to a point. I'm sure there are many who light the stove and lantern in the tent, and are as safe as if they were outside.
Our current operation in the Sandbox has impeded our skills in winter.

As for the knife on the para cord - in case of fire......make sure it is a long piece of cord that will reach the bottom of the tentage, and that the knife is sharp.

With the amount of time it takes for that tent to go up (about three seconds) it is quickest to simply roll through the wall.  It is in flames, and you are staying low not to breath the toxic fumes.  You are also rolling on the ground, putting out any flames that you may have 'accumulated'.

George Wallace said:
As for the knife on the para cord - in case of fire......make sure it is a long piece of cord that will reach the bottom of the tentage, and that the knife is sharp.

With the amount of time it takes for that tent to go up (about three seconds) it is quickest to simply roll through the wall.  It is in flames, and you are staying low not to breath the toxic fumes.  You are also rolling on the ground, putting out any flames that you may have 'accumulated'.

- The sleeping bags could be a greater risk than the new tent liners.  The old tent liners (replaced in the mid/late seventies) were nylon and VERY flammable: the flames would burn straight up to the apex and the burning liner would then collapse onto the sleeping bags... So, the old liners were much more dangerous (but also much warmer).

- Watch out for arctic turnips!

;D

Trained troops should be proficient at lighting lanterns and stoves inside.  A well maintened and properly lit stove or lantern should never flare with good fuel.  A bit of experience and finesse is required.

experience is something we seem to be lacking..how many times have you said, "I think Pte. Bloggins is taking care of the stove tonight" and sure enough, that SAME PERSON(s) always end up doing the same tasks.

This is an issue that goes farther than just how to safely light a stove...perhaps related to more serious tasks that everyone should be familiar with?

Old school, and no, you don't.  Doesn't anyone use the giant flat washer and cotter pin to keep the pole secured any more?   Also tie the baseplate to the base of the pole with about a foot of 550 cord.  Don't forget to run an arctic candle up and down all the zippers before you head out, and at regular intervals during the Ex.

We had the cotter pin and washer in use in Gagetown when I did my Arty course in November, so that idea hasn't been lost ;)

Back